It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The betty v barney hill case.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
This is often cited as a good case in UFOlogy however, I found this:

skeptoid.com...

according to the article, Betty hill utterly destroyed her credbility at some UFO conference (see inside) and ther sources indicate she may have been obsessed with UFOs prior to the event.

Also, I have heard there were discrepancies in the descriptions of the aliens, where at first she describes them as jim durante like, before the grey description.

Thoughts? or any knowledge to add in regards to the article?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
The star map she drew out from the visions in her head were very accurate.

That sold the story to me.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I have a hard time looking at the information provided in your article as more reliable than anything else.

I invite you to have a look on these 2 threads about the story :

1. Gazrok's "The Classics" series thread on The Hill abduction case
  2. My own research on the particulars of The Betty Hill starmap

Now, that being said, I must admit it is always interesting to have another point of view. I will definitely go through what is claimed in that article and check it to my best.

The claims that Betty Hill was a "lifelong UFO fanatic" is a difficult one to admit. There is at least one person on this board who personally knew her, and I can assure you that she has never been described as such a person. Besides, it would be interesting to investigate about that 1980 UFO conference where she alledgedly discredited herself, which is another thing that's hard to believe. It is easy, 30 years after, to spread a blatant lie, as easy as it is however to ignore such a fact for people who want to believe in her. Only fair investigation can tell the truth.

[Edited to add the following]
I just happen to have found this page. It may be a non permanent (edito-like page), so it may be a nice idea to keep a copy of it.

Just a few quotes out of it for those not interested in reading it all:

False: Betty Hill wrote to Donald Keyhoe who, despite the fact that he received over a hundred letters a day, homed in on this initially unremarkable case. Within 24 hours, Keyhoe had arranged for the Hills to be visited by top-level scientists, including C.D. Jackson, who had previously (definitely not coincidentally) worked on psychological warfare techniques for President Eisenhower.
(...)
True: Richard Hall (NICAP secretary), read the letter and replied on 10/17/1961, almost a month later. NICAP investigator Walter Webb, an astronomy lecturer (not military), interviewed the Hills separately for 6 hours on 10/21/61, over a month after the encounter. Not Hohmann and Jackson and not fast. The C.D. Jackson, who visited the Hills on 11/25/61, was not the one who worked for Eisenhower.

False: Many researchers have since demonstrated that a careful review of the timings actually shows that there was no missing time at all.
(...)
True: Skeptics have made this claim but it can't be supported. I and others have driven along the Hills' route at their reported rate of speed, lingered at the reported stops, and followed their route precisely. We could not account for the time differential. I also attempted to become lost for two hours and couldn't.

edit on 22-9-2010 by SpookyVince because: Found a nice page regarding the case, written by a skeptic and well worth reading.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NavalFC

Why have you titled the thread "Betty v Barney Hill"?

Shouldn't it be & ?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
The star map she drew out from the visions in her head were very accurate.

That sold the story to me.

Alot of people place emphasis on the map, but that particular part is least convincing for me. Why? because the skies ae huge, filled with tons of stars, and on a 2D plane such as that betty hills map is drawn in, you can connect the dots anyway you wish.
Secondly, space is 3d, not 2d, so even if it were a real star system, it makes matching it very very difficult beyond example a, trying to find several dots to connect.

I read another theory to, that depending on how you interpret the map, it could represent Alpha Centauri A/B and proxima centauri at the focus, with the other dots being nearby stars,

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Please post further comments on the existing threads noted above.

Closed.

edit on September 22nd 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join