It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish or frankenfish? FDA weighs altered salmon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Finally the Frankenfish is in line to become approved after the FDA is claiming that is safe for human consumption

Genetically engineered salmon that grows twice as fast as the conventional fish appears to be safe, an advisory committee told the Food and Drug Administration Monday. But they argued that more testing may be needed before it is served on the nation's dinner tables.

If the FDA approves the sale of the salmon, it will be the first time the government allows such modified animals to be marketed for human consumption. The panel was convened by the agency to look at the science of the fish and make recommendations on its safety and environmental impact.

www.comcast.net...

Because this will be the first time that this type of altered food will be introduced many critics see this at a potential harm for humans. Is not way to actually prove that is safe, as usual we the consumer will be the guinea pigs in this big food industry experiment.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
There are already clones animals being sold in the grocery stores.
Michael Pollan tried very hard to get them labeled as such, but the lobbyists deemed
that such labeling would "frighten the consumer" with no cause.

CAFOs feed healthy animals antibiotics and growth hormones already to
hasten weight gain and for "preventative" measures because of the
abysmal conditions in which they are raised.
In fact 70% of all antibiotics produced in the USA are fed to healthy farm
animals. This is fact.
In some CAFO chicken farms, chicken feed is laced with arsenic to
make their muscle appear pinker, producing a pleasing appearance to
the consumer in the meat case. Because there is an "acceptable"
amount "allowed" in our foods, this is actually legal, incredibly,
though arsenic is poison.
These are all facts. Truly they are.
Buy your meats from a local, sustainable farm... please. Grocery store meat is
extremely hazardous to your health, and a local farm is much cheaper anyway...

This madness will be passed and there will be yet one more "health" food available.
This will be touted as a great achievement to further combat world hunger, or some such crazy
catchphrase....
God help us all.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

Yes you are right, food in the US is becoming increasingly harmful for our health, I travel from GA to Tallahassee in order to get my organic meats from local markets at their earth fare.

We will be the guinea pigs on this one, salmon is supposed to be healthy but for some reason I am not fan of it.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Not a fan of salmon, really, however, my family is...
We have always been very careful about our fish purchases. Buying only wild-caught anything... one must really be careful of the labeling on fish. Most fish is also factory farmed and raised on antibiotic laced feeds as well. Including tuna. Notice how hard it is to find tuna that is labeled "wild caught" anymore. Shrimp and tilapia are the worst factory farmed fishes.

Now with the Gulf fiasco and this, I think the only fish our family will be eating is local rainbow, brook, and brown trout caught in the spring fed stream down the road.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

I grew up in the Island of Puerto Rico, all my young life the fish we ate were freshly caught as my father used to bring it home from the coast and we ate quite a lot of sea water fish when I was a younger. My father still gets his fish fresh, but here in Ga where I live fish is never fresh.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
this right here is the reason i only buy organic meats and veggies at the grocery store when i cannot get them at the farmers markets.

i know a family that the parents grew up in south america and only ate organic or local foods the dad is 5'7" the mom 5"4" they moved to the usa and their 3 sons and daughter were raised on MCD, supermarket meat tha has been laced with growth hormones and other likes. their sons range a height from 6"0"-6"7" and their daughterwho is only 16 is already 5"11" tall. how are you going to tell me that this is not a result of the food they intake?

new topics

top topics

join