It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA discovers brand new force of nature

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

NASA scientists say they may have discovered a new force of nature, after research showed two of their deep space probes were being inexplicably pulled off course.

Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11, which have been in space for over 40 years, are being steadily pulled towards the sun by an unknown power, according to London’s Telegraph newspaper

The scientists said it could not be gravity or solar radiation, as they decreased over distance.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

I know little about forces in space but it sure points out "the more we learn,the less we know"

Lets see if some ATS experts can share their opinions on what this new force is..

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Seems like a very vague description and explanation.

Are they inferring that the space probes are in fact slowing down gradually and that their forward velocity is decreasing ? And if they've discounted gravity as one of the possible explanations, then are they again saying indirectly that whatever this unknown force may be, that it's origin is the sun due to the statement

... being steadily pulled towards the sun

If, as they're inferring, that this "unknown force" originates in the sun, then I would assume that the reason it hasn't been detected earlier is because it is so incredibly weak compared to gravity, that its local effect has been completely masked by gravity and only when gravity has become sufficiently weak at the distances these probes currently are at, that this "unknown force" finally becomes noticeable.

But this implies that this "unknown force" doesn't seem to obey the inverse-square law that operates on gravity.

edit on 19/9/10 by tauristercus because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/20/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post <br> Quoting - Please review this link

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
who knows how some planetary allignements could effect exact parts of space, and only for a split second while the allignment is taking place

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
could it be something odd in the curvature of space? A geometric issue, rather than a new force?

Pure speculation on my part, but interesting nonetheless..

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

My imagination is coming up with a few seemingly logical ideas but my first mental instinct was to think "I wonder what Phage will say."

Does that happen to anyone else?

I'm going to go ahead and suggest that gravity from an extrasolar source that we can't see for some reason could be effecting them. That's my best guess for now, at least.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
curvature of space etc would be noticed in other places as well...passing asteriods is my guess...or distant supernova or black hole maybe. or better still...the satelites passed close to or in a concentrated level of gases???
well it has to be a gravitational/magentic force..then there is a large body of matter somewhere.

edit on 19-9-2010 by theAymen because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

My imagination is coming up with a few seemingly logical ideas but my first mental instinct was to think "I wonder what Phage will say."

Does that happen to anyone else?

No .. only to you ... sad, sad, sad

(p.s. Who is Phage ?
)

edit on 19/9/10 by tauristercus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Not sure, Ninemsn is pretty credible but I find nothing on the NASA website..

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
If there is a genuine "slowing down" effect coming into play, and because there are no significant gravitational masses at that distance to play a significant role, I'm just wondering whether what we're seeing is indications that space itself is not homogenous.
Instead of assuming that the regions of space that the probes pass through are all of the same "density", what if space does indeed possess a property similar to "density" that affects the velocity of the probes by imparting a "impeding or drag" type of force ? The fact that virtual particles are being created/destroyed continuously in otherwise "empty" space immediately implies that space is not completely and totally empty and therefore must exhibit "density-like" properties.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Heres the London Telegraph article with a bit more info..

Assertions by some scientists that the force is due to a quirk in the Pioneer probes have also been discounted by the discovery that the effect seems to be affecting Galileo and Ulysses, two other space probes still in the solar system. Data from these two probes suggests the force is of the same strength as that found for the Pioneers.

Dr Duncan Steel, a space scientist at Salford University, says even such a weak force could have huge effects on a cosmic scale. "It might alter the number of comets that come towards us over millions of years, which would have consequences for life on Earth. It also raises the question of whether we know enough about the law of gravity."

www.telegraph.co.uk...

edit on 19-9-2010 by CynicalM because: to add info

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Amazing to think that IRS goons running audits, brandishing shotguns, indicting, harassing and plundering, and the end evidence is that NASA has found something they don't understand... A sad state of affairs.

You'd think there would be enough public interest in this that NASA wouldn't require armed thugs to pilfer, plunder, exploit and harass the common folks... All for the FatherLand I guess...

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Interesting... Pioneer 10 passed Pluto in 1983 and it still didn't come across one planet capable of [intelligent] life. Oh, and the whole sun thing. Interesting...

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
maybe the gravitational force isnt a constant?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

convection currents in space????

im thinking there might of been a nuclear explosion somewhere close!

or better yet...NIBIRU there i said it...someone`was lol

edit on 20-9-2010 by theAymen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
maybe a third comet belt? or it could be dark matter? also i thought they mentioned a burnt out star or somesuch a few AU past pluto. maybe its gravity is some how negative to ours and repelling it

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by theAymen

or better yet...NIBIRU there i said it...someone`was lol

lol, I was waiting for that, but my limited understanding would still rule out a planetX because the force is constant..Gravity should decrease or increase with distance..
If you read my post from London Telegraph they have found its also effecting 2 other probes...

I dont know, almost like some kind of resistance more than a force...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ohsnaptruth

This is why.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
A) Gravity is a push
B) Superstrings are actually bungie cords
C) Hyper-relativistic publicity stunt for upcoming season premier of The Big Bang Theory

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
My guess is that perhaps the probe isn't slowing down, maybe we are in fact moving towards the probe. Either way this is very peculiar.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by area6
A) Gravity is a push
B) Superstrings are actually bungie cords
C) Hyper-relativistic publicity stunt for upcoming season premier of The Big Bang Theory

gravity is a pull

bungie cords are elastic belts lol

i love big bang theory...great advertising..i`l be sure to watch !

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join