It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five held over Pope terror alert

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Five held over Pope terror alert

www.bbc.co.uk

Five men have been arrested by the Metropolitan Police in London in relation to a potential threat to the Pope.

The arrests were made at 0545 BST at addresses in London after counter-terrorism officers received intelligence of a potential threat.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Here we go, the Police using these powers to arrest people. When the Pope arrived, there shoulld have been a Welcome to Police State UK.

Nuns, Monks and ordinary people, are being body searched, before they are even allowed into the masses.

False Flag Operation, to erode more of our freedoms.

Now the Metropolitain police have powers to detainanyone they think, is a threat, and section them under themental health act.

Just shows, the UK is becomming worse than China.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 17-9-2010 by Laurauk because: Fixing Spelling.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

In my opinion, it is not the job of British policemen and security personel to even attend this event. If the pope wants to come here, he should have bought his own damned security. I do not recognise the vatican as a nation unto itself, (its part of italy and nothing more) nor the primacy of the pope. He is just a man, and NOT a head of state, a prime minister nor a president, therefore his security ought to be his own concern. Shouldnt be a matter for our people in either case.
As for the body search tactics employed by our boys in blue, they arent any different in this instance than in any GENUINE instance of protecting a foriegn dignitary really . The terror arrests will no doubt interest me further if an when further information comes to light, untill then, who can say what it all means?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Nuns, Monks and ordinary people, are being body searched, before they are even allowed into the masses.

Too right. Define "ordinary people" and what should exempt them from body searches.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
disregard this post.

i don't want to share too many thoughts about this until more information is known.

apologies,
et

edit on 17-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Can you post a link for the fox news article, tyvm.

The other two threads were closed by the mods.

The five men are 26, 27, 36, 40 and 50 years old. They are Non British Nationals.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

yes i can:

www.foxnews.com...

some reports say they are of Arabic decent, but i am not sure if this is reliable, yet.

i was thinking this would probably get less news time with the msm than a preacher threatening to burn Korans, but we shall see.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

It is dominating the British News Channels. So we will see, weither it is linked to the popes visit or not. Seems the incident came to light last night, figures, we do not get told until the day after it

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
A Papal spokesperson has announced that they haven’t been informed of any link between these arrests and the Pope’s visit. That’s not to say there isn’t one of course.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk Seems the incident came to light last night, figures, we do not get told until the day after it

ya, martial law usually means information has to be "filtered" prior to the public relations experts deciding on what we will hear and what we will not hear. martial law would not be overtly announced, but information is not free flowing from my viewpoint.

FOX "News" in america is "reporting" that they were arrested under "the terrorism act". But fox has given this story less than 2 minutes air time over the last hour.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Funny how this comes so soon after the M15 warnings .

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Good old Fox ... destroying original thought since 1986 . I always find interesting, the amount of time it takes for a department of the Government to comment on a situation. Its almost as if the last thing they want, is for any member of the public to remain interested in anything that they comment on... its very strange.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

A little bit of an over-reaction coupled with nonsense, surely Laura?

Who has been detained under the Mental heltah Act on the recomendation of the Police? No one. It has to come from medical professionals. Not that this has anything to do with the topic, mind you!

Police State? You have no idea what one is if you think for one moment the UK is one or is worse than China! At any rate, the new Government is working to undo alot of these absurd powers the Police have, but if you actually know your rights instead of eternally bleating about things, none of these Terrorism powers will ever affect you.

I know my rights and, amongst other things, I have told a Police officer to go jump when they said I couldn't take certain photo's and there is really nothing they can do about it, they rely on ignorance to try and coerce you.

Luckily for me, I took the time to read the Act and know my rights, whereas they quite often don't know the law themselves and instead follow what they have been told.

Although I agree with posters who say we shouldn't even provide for his security, he should provide his own. Doesn't the Dali Lama? Don't Imaams and Rabbis? What's so special about this jumped up Bishop?

This whole farce is Tony Blairs fault anyway. When he "converted", he promised a State visit for the Pope and in the end, it was facilitated by that dull tosspot Gordon Brown.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by Laurauk

Although I agree with posters who say we shouldn't even provide for his security, he should provide his own. Doesn't the Dali Lama? Don't Imaams and Rabbis? What's so special about this jumped up Bishop?

It is better to think of it as a demonstration of our ability to protect foreign heads of state while they are here.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by Laurauk

Police State? You have no idea what one is if you think for one moment the UK is one or is worse than China! At any rate, the new Government is working to undo alot of these absurd powers the Police have, but if you actually know your rights instead of eternally bleating about things, none of these Terrorism powers will ever affect you.

While I agree we have a long way to go to catch up with China - if you actually believe this government has any intention of relaxing these anti-terror laws you will believe anything. So far this government has lied and cheated us all, including the power hungry Lib Dems who clearly only care about being in power rather than doing the right thing by the people they are supposed to represent.

If anything, stories like this will only prove to them in their own sick minds that these laws are necessary.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

As if we need one! We functioned perfectly fine (and with alot less visible security I might add) when Obama or Sarkozy came to visit.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

It is better to think of it as a demonstration of our ability to protect foreign heads of state while they are here.

But do foreign heads of state charge to see them as I have heard the Pope is doing?

At 25 pounds a pop I hear??

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by EnactedEgoTrip

Previous anti-terror legislation worked perfectly fine when we faced real terrorists like the IRA. I wasn't referring solely to anti-terror laws anyway, but the general "nanny state" nonsense brought in by Labour. That will be undone, if solely to keep costs down if nothing else.

EDIT: Besides, like I said, you only fall foul of these laws (such as being told you can't take photo's of Police) if you're ignorant of your rights and the law, which I find most people are.

edit on 17/9/10 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

The fellow probably doesnt recognise the popes status as a head of state. Neither do I ... hes not even properly a Mayor. Pathetic title, and its being held by a Nazi. Great eh?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Definitely, but it wouldn’t exactly look good if the Pope died in our hands, especially considering that we can pretty much expect some maniac to swing for him and I don’t think that the Pope can take a punch. Obviously I'd prefer not to pay to put 100s of sunglasses and snipers around him but it's just something that has to be done.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join