It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Board of the Flies"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
didnt read the whole op, skimmed the replies.

i'm not sure what this is really about to be honest, is it just a passing observation, or is there something you want to see changed on ats?

edit on 18-9-2010 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I see the same thing. But sadly the group who is hostile believe they are the reserved group and the same can be said vice versa. They give themselves stars and flags to each other to make them feel superior in 'intellect' and show those unbelievers they are right. It is sad really. I could care less if I don't receive any stars and flags. I just want a little recognition.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sam Vimes

I would actually be silent and observe the crowd before I started mouthing off. If nothing happens, then I would instigate the conversations and try to rile people up.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Been off of ATS for a while and I'm poking through some of my old threads while listening to the ATS live radio show.
I enjoy reading old posts sometimes. Sometimes I wonder who wrote the thing and used my avatar.

In the case of this thread I was pleasantly surprised.
It was not too bad. I think it applies to some recent threads regarding behavior.
I am responding to the old response from Mr.Bob because I think it is a good question.

Originally posted by MR BOB
didnt read the whole op, skimmed the replies.

i'm not sure what this is really about to be honest, is it just a passing observation, or is there something you want to see changed on ats?

edit on 18-9-2010 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

Nothing on ATS really needs changed. ATS is just the vehicle.
I believe the people who use ATS should be as aware as they can of the way they are perceived by others.

People will naturally fall into specific patterns. Some of these patterns will be more helpful to the group and more constructive in the long run. People who watch their own patterns can be more aware of how these patterns affect others and how these patterns affect their own long term mental/social/spiritual health.

Maybe it would be a good idea to sit back and look at our own patterns of behavior and judge ourselves before we judge others.

Having said that,
I'm going to go back and read LOTF to see what new insight's I might get as I am significantly different in the way I think now than when I started this thread.

I encourage anyone who has a good suggestion on books as behavioral mirrors to suggest them here and explain why you think so.

Another great one regarding behavior is The Great Gatsby.

I think the symbolism of the billboard was a reminder to look at yourself and who you really are.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

I think it used to be far worse.

However, I agree. It is still far too common.

imho . . . there are two

"OUT-GROUPS" to use a Freud term . . .

which virtually AUTOMATICALLY AND INSTANTLY attract

typically very mean-spirited, relentless, hostile, vicious, harsh, personal assaults, character assaults etc.

1. Christians--particularly evangelical and Pentecostal types who believe in miracles, the 2nd Coming etc.

and

2. All those who dare to assert that Islam's founding documents affirm and encourage violence and genocide.

3. A 3rd OUT-GROUP but at much lower levels, typically, are those Americans who dare to patriotically stand up for, speak out in behalf of the USA for virtually any reason and any significant degree.

4. I'm trying but haven't been able to think of any other CHRONICALLY routinely OUT-GROUP on ATS.

5. I suppose you could say that JW's and/or Mormons could on occasion be cast in an OUT-GROUP role but they rarely start threads asserting their beliefs.

6. Oh, there is another OUT-GROUP that tends to get a LOT of flack and hostility but it's become much more civil and respectful given the increased modding and raised bar on civility in that forum. And that's the group that believes that UFO craft and critters are real--regardless of what they believe that they are.

7. Sadly, there are individuals who BEHAVE AS THOUGH

A) they are paid a high salary to be hostile to such an OUT-GROUP &/or

B) their ATTACHMENT DISORDER has been so shaped and colored that they are COMPULSIVELY ADDICTED to attacking such an OUT-GROUP in order to feel safe, smug, proud, have bigger muscles etc.

C) their response to one or more posters in the OUT-GROUP is addictively and compulsively tied to VERY HORRID UNFINISHED BUSINESS with some abusive family member the poster reminds them of and so they are unconsciously or barely consciously (one hopes it's not conscious) constantly engaging in PAYING BACK THE ABUSER by attacking the other poster that reminds them of the abuser.

8. Sadly, such chronic derailing and sabotaging of threads is still a common occurrence. That grieves me a lot and leaves me either leaving many such threads or avoiding them entirely from the beginning. I believe that robs me of what should rightfully be reasonable for me to expect--to be treated with civility and mutual respect regardless of the topic being wedded to some immature or emotionally handicapped stalker so given to being chronically hostile on such threads.

9. No, I don't usually alert. . . . unless it gets repeatedly super outrageous in a short time and I'm particularly disgusted with it.

A) many mods come across as in sympathy, far too often, with the assaulters. So why bother.

B) A high percentage of the membership and a majority of the mods are experienced by most of those in my value orientation as being hostile to us to begin with--and thereby, largely in sympathy with the attackers. So why bother.

C) We are likely to get told to get a thicker skin; vigorous argument is what ATS is for . . .etc.--which most of us agree with to begin with. WE JUST DON'T LIKE A DOUBLE STANDARD that can still too often seem to be applied--though far less so than was the case 5 years ago, say.

D) That is, such attackers get away with things 3-10 times worse ROUTINELY, than we can ever get away with. That may be somewhat of an exaggeration now but not totally and it certainly was no exaggeration a few short years ago.

10. All of which to say . . . some of us are KEENLY aware of the BOARD OF THE FLIES phenomenon because we are chronically and routinely on the short end of the stick of that phenomenon--with essentially no recourse but to continue to take it in the groin, heart and head. Folks routinely attack our characters, our IQ, our sanity, and our personhood. Yet when we even slightly satirize some aspect of THEIR IDEAS or commentary--we get punished as though we'd insulted THE PERSON. That kind of DOUBLE STANDARD hurts and sometimes outrages us. But we essentially have no recourse but to slink away and forget it.

11. That's sad to us. That is NOT an example of ATS living up to its best criteria, standards and goals. That is NOT denying ignorance. That is flaunting it and exalting in it, imho.

If I've overstated it, I hope the relatively few Christians hereon will speak up and tell me so. If I've told it more or less like they've personally observed and experienced it, I hope they speak up and tell me so and/or star this post.

I'd truly like to know their perceptions about the above.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Bo Xian,
I read your post and I don't disagree on any one point. I felt the same way when I started this thread a few years back.

My reason for re-visiting the thread is not that the behavior continues as it does. My reason is that I now realize that these exhibited behaviors are elemental to societies developmental mindset and we cannot change those things.

We can only recognize that these behaviors are a part of the big picture and learn how to deal with them in our own way.

You can't change others but you can change yourself.
This is what people mean when they tell you to get a thicker skin.

The emotional impact of being attacked by another for your beliefs is all in your control. You must learn to handle this and the words of others will have no affect on you.

We have to face who we are before we can affect who others are.

I read once that to acknowledge the insults of an insignificant person is to give that person power over you.

We can't stop childish or bigoted behavior. We can only set a better example.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Quite so.

I've grown in such capacities.

Am not home safe, yet. LOL.

And . . . I really do NOT WANT

to become soooooooo . . . serene, regardless, that I fail to get emotional when it's called for. LOL.

I don't think the opposite of love is hate. I think it's apathy.

I deplore not caring about important things.

However . . . you are right . . . some . . . gnat's fart's worth of ignorant opinion is not worth my adrenal secretions! LOL.

Gotta keep that cortisol outta the blood stream.

Nevertheless, it is worth at least articulating that terminal habitual jerks might should consider getting another life or another obsession . . . that one's a real drag on the forum and such threads.

Much appreciate your kind reply.

Blessings,

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join