It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War is retarded.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I wasn't sure what the right forum was for this. It could probably go in "Political Madness" or something, but it's not really about anything specific, and just a more abstract look at the way we humans every now and then get together and kill each other.

Because that's what war is. We humans do a lot of things, we farm, we build large cities, we have massive awesome sports competitions, we play board games and video games, we write and philosophize... and every now and then we all get together in a big mass and slaughter one another like animals.

Maybe this belongs in "Rants". If so then somebody put it there.

I don't really have a big point to make other than that. Just to introdue those three words, "War is retarded", that pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

This isn't about the usual justifications. Yeah, the Nazis this, the Japanese that, let's make the world safe for democracy, let's stop the terrorists. Sure, there may be reasons for it. But it doesn't change the fact that it's still a bunch of guys getting together and killing one another.

And a bunch of guys who had no prior conflict. If you weren't at war with them you could go to a bar together with them, get some beers, and talk about life and beautiful women. But nah, that's not your business with those people. Your business with them is to kill or be killed.

It's most definitely a part of human nature. We've been doing it since the beginning of recorded history, and there's no end in sight. A great article on the fact that this seems to be basic human nature can be found on Fred's blog here.

A quote from that article:

Horses don't behave this way. Different wiring. They run around in herds till they get slow and the wolves eat them, but they don't butcher each other. We do. It's built-in.

Fred Reed really is a great blogger; if anybody is at a dearth of reading material, you should check him out. He may come across as a bit abrasive, even racist or sexist at some points, but I've read everything he's written online and I really see him as just an old man who's been through a whole lot of crap and just tells it like it is as he sees it. He may be my favorite blogger.

Anyway, that's really all I have to say. Peace. No pun intended.

edit on 15-9-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

War is retarded.

Not really eloquent and certainly not PC... but your message is spot-on nonetheless.

Here are a few other considerable observations from some historical figures, on the same subject...

A new era is upon us. Even the lesson of victory itself brings with it profound concern, both for our future security and the survival of civilization. The destructiveness of the war potential, through progressive advances in scientific discovery, has in fact now reached a point which revises the traditional concepts of war. Men since the beginning of time have sought peace.... Military alliances, balances of power, leagues of nations, all in turn failed, leaving the only path to be by way of the crucible of war. We have had our last chance. If we do not now devise some greater and more equitable system, Armageddon will be at our door.
- General Douglas MacArthur, 2 September 1945 - Aboard the USS Missouri

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."
- Albert Einstein

"Men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all the other alternatives."
- Abba Eban

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I put it to you that human achievements would be totally different had there never been war, in all honesty we may have never had made it out of caves and would have died out a long time ago.

Is that a good thing? That's not my point, I'm just saying we would be an unrecognisable species if we did indeed survive.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I am not only starring and flagging this post but adding you as a friend.

Yes warring with each other is a retarded mentality.......................murder of any kind is backwards.

All life if precious.

Humanity must grow up...................and realize that what you do unto others you do unto yourself.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
my opinion on war is very similar.

we no longer care about the other humans in our world. it's just we see those like us, and those different. those different must go, apparently. Materialism is God.

War is a failure in leadership. plain and simple. it arises when diplomatic means of circumnavigating anger, misunderstanding, etc, fail. It arises when we cannot respect another's view, or refuse to. WWII, Nazis could not stand those ""imperfect"", so that led to the invasion of Poland, then all of Europe, Pearl Harbor, then eventually the World War.

Humans nowadays have lost all contact with caring about the welfare of their fellow humans. i cannot remember ther name of the poem i read, but it related to how materialistic we've become. "In nature's glory we see none of our own", which is so true! People starve around the world, but do we care? no its just "OMG WHAT WILL I WEAR!' "OMG WEARS MY MAKEUP?" "OMG I NEED THAT IPAD!" we have money, we have thoe that can spend $875687920230077234 on a commercial on starving kids BUT CAN"T FEED THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i read an article about a man who found a letter from one of his ancestors... he bought a ten year old boy for $1151 dollars in like 1860! and that was a bargain. it has always been the ulotra- rich causing the wars at the expense of those lower than them.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

It is, in stead of just making sex.

Now on a serios note, it is and people behind it think it's a game.
I wish I would start of free on a colony or something, too many thoughts like a splater confusing things even worse.
Why don't we go search for out past, in stead of that they pump money in to the war machine. Our past may be the answer to our future. Not enough explorers it would seem, just conquest.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

War is as natural as sex or anything else we find ourselves doing in this universe. Think about it almost all living creatures engage in combat with other living creatures and this is even true for some plants too. What would make us humans any different? Are we not creatures living on this earth with no more rights to it than the hermit crab, lion, blowfish or Athyrium filix-femina (fern)? What makes us think that we are any better or more entitled than the rest of the entities with that special spark of life?

With that being said, war may be natural but how and why we engage in wars in our current time is "retarded". We are manipulated into them, by forces and influences who do not have our greater good at heart but instead their own self interests. If you think about it, very few people want to partake in wars and for the most part, folks just want to live their lives in peace and harmony. However, as long as the elite retain both their unfluence and power over us, we will continue to fight wars for their interests only and sadly, those interests contradict our own.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I was going to make a thread upon similar lines, but you beat me to it.

Conflict on an idividual person to person level is perhaps natural.

But when states rile up their populations through propaganda and media manipulations so as to make them fear the "enemy", that is not natural in my opinion. This is because generally people don't really have the urge to go and slaughter people in a far away country who they have never met.

“Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play” – Joseph Goebbels

As Herman Goering infamously said:

“Naturally the common people don’t want war. But after all, it is the
leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it’s always a
simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy or a
fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.
Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of
the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are
being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and
for exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every
Country” - Herman Goering

It was as true then as it is today. I suggest you read Smedley D. Butler's War is a Racket, if you haven't done already. It shows the true picture of who really benefits from wars and it isn't the soldiers doing the fighting.

War is pretty much state sanctioned murder. Legalised murder.

Martin Luther King and John Lennon both spoke out about the Vietnam War and the atrocious actions of the U.S government and were both mysteriously assassinated by lone crazy people.

Here are some quotes which make you think:

“All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” – Voltaire

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” – Voltaire

What good fortune for governments that the people do not think – Adolf Hitler

“What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?” – Gandhi

“They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country. But in modern war, there is nothing sweet nor fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason.”

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

“I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility and its stupidity.” - Dwight D. Eisenhower

“Talk of imminent threat to our national security through the application of external force is pure nonsense. Our threat is from the insidious forces working from within which have already so drastically altered the character of our free institutions — those institutions we proudly called the American way of life.” – Douglas MacArthur

“It is part of the general pattern of misguided policy that our country is now geared to an arms economy which was bred in an artificially induced psychosis of war hysteria and nurtured upon an incessant propaganda of fear. While such an economy may produce a sense of seeming prosperity for the moment, it rests on an illusionary foundation of complete unreliability and renders among our political leaders almost a greater fear of peace than is their fear of war.” – Douglas MacArthur

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

as long as the elite retain both their unfluence and power over us, we will continue to fight wars for their interests only and sadly, those interests contradict our own.

My thoughts exactly.

Someone said quite wisely: War is the extension of bad politics. But on the other hand, when we are surrounded by aggressive idiots who glorify and adore "war" we need people who criticize the decisions made.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I don't know, is that anyway to toss around the R word?
I would like your heading more if it read, If only we were all mentally retarded, there would be no wars.
I'm beginning to think all those that ride the long bus to school, are the ones with the handicapp.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I think this is the only way we can stop war:

We need to design a race without physical differences. I'm talking one gender, one thought pattern (albeit a full spectrum thought pattern), fully activated serotonin system (in other words, we will have so much love in us it would be impossible to kill anyone), but at the same time we need to do our best to stay as close to human as possible to please the sheeple. Personally I'm a fan of full on remapping of the mind, but good luck convincing the populace to do that. it will be hard enough to convince them to implement even a partial redesign of the mind.
The added fail safe would be in the physical appearance, as it would be make it that much more difficult to kill your own kind.

edit on 16-9-2010 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It's pretty retarded, but supposing someone wants to impose their rules in your country, what are people going to do, just stand there and watch?

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
While war is retarded , at the moment we still need it. We have not developed enough to exist without some form of agression in securing lives and livelyhoods. When you are attacked you will defend yourself and the ensuing war will breed hatred for a long time. I will say it is the elite or influentail that cause and facilitate wars though , and they waste lives and resources. Allot of wars can be prevented or nipped in the bud with good leardership and foresight , but some leaders are warmongers , who became leaders through illigitimate means.

I hate war , but it is a necessary evil. Stand and defend or get owned. I believe wars to be the love of the elite as they waste the genepool of , strong , tall , able bodied men and women (mostly men though) who serve as the chess pieces. Some of the soldiers lost are also highly brave , intelligent and good leaders of men taken down by a stray arrow , bullet , dart , swing of the sword or piercing of the spear. With the genepool thinned out and depleted of these men and women the sheep are shorter , weaker , less intelligent , followers and cowardly. These are then the genes passed on till the next war and the process repeats itself. It makes absolutely no sense , I know , wasteful. Thats all the elite do , they waste and facilitate waste , yet think they are the salt of the earth and we are the wasters. They are mad if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

No , never. Look at the Eloi from The Time Tachine by H.G Wells. They are exactly the creature you describe. And what happens to them , they get picked off at will by the morlocks and end up as dinner. They even drown in waist high water. Those poor , ignorant , weak saps.

Give me the rugged life and all the evils that I may suffer for my freedom.

Edit-The Time Tachine by H.G Wells , the book not the films.

edit on 16-9-2010 by De La Valletta because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I remembered when i went to DC, we went to the FDR memorial, and in blocks in big letters was the phrase "I have seen war. I hate war."

true, all animals kill, but they dont kill their OWN KIND! humans are the one species on this planet that would. they fight others of their species, but that is that. fight. not kill. they do not kill one another because they need one another to survive. like wolves, they only fight to show dominance, but they do not kill each other because they are needed to help hunt so they may eat and survive. they do not overpopulate, but rather stop producing when food becomes scarce. why cannot humans do this? are bacteria that much smarter?

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LocoHombre
I remembered when i went to DC, we went to the FDR memorial, and in blocks in big letters was the phrase "I have seen war. I hate war."

true, all animals kill, but they dont kill their OWN KIND! humans are the one species on this planet that would. they fight others of their species, but that is that. fight. not kill. they do not kill one another because they need one another to survive. like wolves, they only fight to show dominance, but they do not kill each other because they are needed to help hunt so they may eat and survive. they do not overpopulate, but rather stop producing when food becomes scarce. why cannot humans do this? are bacteria that much smarter?

I think certain apes kill each other IIRC.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Good points,

I believe the reason is that animals live their lives totally according to their natural instincts,
But mankind lives according to desires and emotions...Sometimes those desires and emotions are stronger than our own natural instinct to make logical decisions. Looking at it from an outside view like that it is sometimes hard to believe that we are all like this, but it is a choice people make. and we are sure witnessing a lot of "bad choices" in today's age.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
War is as natural as sex or anything else we find ourselves doing in this universe.

Quite so. In fact, war is closely linked to sex, as in much earlier times when human tribes went to war (for whatever reason), one of the very important benefits of it was that men and women bred outside their tribe, helping to keep inbreeding to a minimum and allowing the strongest or the smartest to survive.

Without war, we wouldn't be nearly as big and tough and smart as we are today. Without war, we'd be pretty... well... retarded.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

true, all animals kill, but they dont kill their OWN KIND!

You need to do a little more research. Animals kill their own kind all the time. Take cats, for instance. From lions to cute little kitties. When momma cats in a pride give birth the first thing they do is chase off the daddy cats. Why? Because daddy cats have a tendency to slaughter and eat baby cats that aren't theirs in order to assure that their own genetic material is passed along and not some other male's.

Animals, including people, will do what DNA commands them to do. Be better.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LocoHombre

you are right about one thing Materialism is god. Even Mariyln Manson states God is in the TV.

edit on 17-9-2010 by dragnet53 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-9-2010 by dragnet53 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join