It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confessing to Crime, but Innocent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Confessing to Crime, but Innocent

www.nytimes.com

New research shows how people who were apparently uninvolved in a crime could provide such a detailed account of what occurred, allowing prosecutors to claim that only the defendant could have committed the crime.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
www.dallasnews.com www.jacksonville.com
www.stopcapitalpunishment.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Torture, by those trusted to Serve and Protect
"Witch Hunt,"- Falsely Imprisoned of Bakersfield, CA
Justice runs afoul for Dad

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This is a trend I have seen a lot of in the arena of law enforcement and crime fighting. It appears police officers are so dead-set on solving a crime that they will prey on the weak to get a conviction regardless of actual guilt?
Some of the falsely accused were below the age of 18, some had mental problems, learning disabilities, and others were given facts of the crime and through extensive and often strenuous interrogation practices were coaxed by investigators to connect the dots of a crime they did not commit. Most if not all from the article were pressured into making a false confession while never having attorney present at questioning. One instance from the article was absolutely shocking to me!

Earl Washington Jr., a mentally impaired man who spent 18 years in prison and came within hours of being executed for a murder he did not commit, stated in his confession that the victim had worn a halter top. In fact, she had worn a sundress, but an initial police report had stated that she wore a halter top.

www.nytimes.com...

Now, this is not a bash law enforcement thread but another attempt to bring to everyone's attention an apparent epidemic of improper police procedure and abuses of power by authorities.

For anyone on ATS who has read some of my posts from the past, this is an issue I have spoke on quite regularly. I just can't fathom police officers going to such great lengths to get a conviction, that they would knowingly coax an innocent person into a confession while the person responsible runs free to commit other crimes? Still, apparently it happens quite often and many have faced unwarranted incarceration, destruction of their lives, and some have even almost been executed. It is a serious matter that should be addressed at every level in law enforcement, and the justice established. Moreover, we ourselves must remain ever vigilant when predatory policing presents itself, because in strange twists of fate, the victims from the article above could one day be ourselves?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 14-9-2010 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is a pretty serious issue, and a preferred tactic of some detectives when it comes to clearing their old case files.

They appear to run out of leads, and then either because of political pressure to close the case, or a dislike of someone they have taken into custody they do coerce people into giving false confessions.

Sadly some of those rendering false confessions are willingly doing so because they have become institutionalized in one form or the other and find it easier to deal with life's challenges on the inside, where thy know they have three meals and a cot always.

Still some of these people are so mentally deminished they have no real idea of the consequences of their actions.

This happens a lot, but thankfully it's easier to get them out with DNA evidence, than it was in years past.

I think it's important to note, that most crimes are not constitutionally illegal under common law, but are under the corporate government codes. They always require you agreeing these things are illegal and in essence giving up your constitutional and common law rights, by signing them away through items that typically do not disclose you are signing them away, and contractually making legal, what is in fact illegal, to prosecute for offenses where no real damages have occured.

The signed statement admitting guilt is a big part of that contract.

Believe it or not, allowing your rights to be read to you is too!

As always a thought provoking story and issue Jakes51 Star and Flag.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Goes to show just how dangerous unregulated police can be to society. It's not difficult to convict an innocent person.

What's upsetting to me is the courts are slowing doing away with civil right protections.

I blame the media - like Nancy Grace. They make the public think civil rights are just there to protect criminals.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
obligatory "do not talk to cops" link

www.youtube.com...

Everyone should save it, he mentions about police taking advantage of the mentally unstable.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
all they want is a case closed conviction, they (the DA's) dont give a flying flip who is innocent or not. IT DOESNT MATTER

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Suggestion when speaking to a LEO at anytime.

My name is ******* ******* *********. I live at ****** ******** ******** *******. My birthdate is **/**/**.

If any further questions are asked, "At this time I would like assistance of council".

If any further questions are asked, "At this.....................

You get the idea.

The obligatory, this is in no way to be construed as legal advice and should not be blah blah blah blah.

new topics

top topics

join