It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.French Senate passes ban of full Muslim veils

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Good for them.......unfortunately here In Amrica we could never pass something like that as they are entitled to special rights here. About time someone stands up to them, and maybe others will take notice that it can be done. With a vote of 246 to 1 I'd say they are serious about the issue too. I know it would get shot down here, hell it wouldn't even be a topic in our senate, and if it did there are enough extortionist organizations here to sue indeffinately. However, gotta wonder how much the attacks and such in France will go up now, you know from the religion of peace. As a matter of pubilc safety and for identification purposes it makes sense all on it's own, however, I'm sure they'll only see it as islamophobic.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Their really bad immigration laws, coupled with birth rates of Muslims vs non muslims there; and those muslims not assimulating (self segregating) will make this ban obsolete before the ink is even dry on the paper.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
So they can wear Christian veils now I suppose. Those are the ones with the lace they wear at weddings. Big deal, now they have to add sexy lace.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

A nation equals border, language and culture. Good move. Now deport those who don't assimilate and speak French. Let's do the same here. And send all the libs to Bedwettistan.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Well, assimilation doesn't seem to be a strong point of theirs, or any immigrants for that matter. I think it may be to far gone here in the U.S. and in the UK as well.......however, this is a start.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Seriously you think this is by any means a good idea? This is an infringement of these peoples rights to exercise their religion, their system of belief. They are not required to assimilate into your way of thinking about their faith. Other topics and you would have a viable and legitimate argument for assimilation, but not this one sorry. This is a part of their religious practice if it makes you uncomfortable oh well.

This is not right and it is discrimination period. Security issues please, got news for you you will never be able to stop the lone gunman who takes care and deliberation in preparing for his strike ever. He is always a threat he is always watching, waiting and learning.

But since your so eager to take away someone elses rights to practice their faith as they see fit to how about we tell you that under penalty of law you cannot enter a church on any day that ends in Y. Seems fair to me all churches seem to do these days is prey on the weak and the poor selling them promises of God paying them back multi-fold for their sacrifices while figuring out which stripper, hooker, male baggage handler, new car, and/or new plane they are gonna buy after they have fleeced the flock. You may not like it but we are gonna do it for your own good because you don't have enough smarts to not give them your money. Kind of funny how easily that could work out isn't it?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Jovi1

Hmmm, not a Christian, and kind of a silly comparrison.No one is saying they cn't practice their religion, just that they have to display who they are in public, you know, like the rest of us. That said, when I enter my bank I have to remove my hat and sun glasses if I am wearing them.......why is that? I know they do less to disguise me than a burqa would. Do you really think it's safe to drive wearing one? Should they be allowed everywhere or do only certain special people get to walk around in secret?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Funny i never seem to have an issue going into my bank with a hat and sunglasses on, I have yet to be asked to remove them either. There is a perceived cultural difference when a westerner goes into a bank disguising their face as opposed to when an Arabic woman goes into one with her veil on, and rightfully so. The fact is the veil is part of their religion and their culture, some choose to wear it others choose not to be so traditional. But by no means should any government in the freeworld be making this kind of decision for anybody.

You get to drive with your hat and sunglasses on and it is deemed perfectly safe. It isnt as if their vision is obstructed by any means. Where I live the winters get mighty cold and lots of people are bundled up to where you can only see their eyes, that doesn't seem to have an impact on anyones driving ability.

Now if you really want to talk about safe driving or the lack thereof find something that is a real menace, people on their cell phones.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Jovi1

Oh I agree with you on the people on their cell phones while driving...extremely dangerous. However, where I live, you cannot enter the bank wearing sunglasses or a hat, seems they have a concern about bank robberies or some other such silliness.........seems this would also be the case with the burqa, and no it isn't denying them their religion, it's ensuring the safey of the patrons and employees of the bank.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Good for them.......unfortunately here In Amrica we could never pass something like that as they are entitled to special rights here
lol. Don't fool yourself. As you kind of half point out towards the end of your diatribe, the French (and other western Govts.) are targeting ANYONE who would hide their face in public. No point in governments spending millions of pounds of tax payers money errecting cctv if the face recognition software can be beaten.

The [proposed] French law does NOT ban head coverings or scarves.

edit on 14-9-2010 by joewalker because: spwelling mistaike

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I think it is a sad statement as to France and its people.

I was at the dmv the other day and there was a muslim lady in there. She had her face covered but at picture time she removed it with not a word. No biggie, no screaming about rights, etc. Just removed it and went on her way. And no one even looked at her funny, either. Imagine that, a muslim and her family just going their way in her face veil.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Good for them.......unfortunately here In Amrica we could never pass something like that as they are entitled to special rights here.

How is wearing their traditional and cultural dress a form of special rights? Also we are not allowed to invade people’s personal rights to wear what they want unless, unless Civil Liberties means nothing to you.

About time someone stands up to them, and maybe others will take notice that it can be done.

So banning people from choosing to wear their traditional and cultural dress is somehow standing up to them? So what you are saying is that the people of France need punish Muslim women for choosing to wear their own apparel because they are Muslims?

With a vote of 246 to 1 I'd say they are serious about the issue too.

There are 343 members of the French Senate, but only 247 voted. So that means 96 abstained. What that means is that 1 courageous French politicians stood up to the Theocrats while 96 others were too scared.

I know it would get shot down here, hell it wouldn't even be a topic in our senate, and if it did there are enough extortionist organizations here to sue indeffinately.

When you infringe on people’s rights then a lawsuit should be more than welcomed by American Patriots.

However, gotta wonder how much the attacks and such in France will go up now, you know from the religion of peace.

So we bomb their lands, steal their oil, kill their people and ban their clothing yet if they do anything to retaliate they are no longer a religion of peace?

As a matter of pubilc safety and for identification purposes it makes sense all on it's own, however, I'm sure they'll only see it as islamophobic.

In certain instances such as taking your picture for a driver’s license or other forms of identification is acceptable to make them take that off their face. But for just driving, walking or just LIVING, banning it in any of them instances is ISLAMOPHOBIC.

edit on 9/14/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrogolf

A nation equals border, language and culture. Good move. Now deport those who don't assimilate and speak French. Let's do the same here. And send all the libs to Bedwettistan.

So we must send away all Americans that don't speak French?

On what justifiable grounds could you support expelling all American Liberals? How could you tell who is a Liberal or not? Will you round up all Democrats, place a donkey on their arm and send them to ghettos until you can send them to your concentration camps?

Do you really think that low of your fellow American? It's a sad... sad day...

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

So are you saying cair is an American patriot organization? Gee, I thought the FBI said they fund terrorists.....funny I guess as long as there is money to be made, appeasement to terrorists will be made....that is truely despicable.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

It is denying them their religion on the simple basis that wearing it is a part of what they believe is correct behavior as put down in their Holy Book.And I am sorry the one person in the room i am least concerned about going off on a homicidal rampage is the woman in the burqa.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Jovi1

Not so sure some people in Russia feel the same way. You know, the ones that got blown up recently by the muslim women? Wow, one day hopefully the apologists on here will grow up, educate themselves and finally realize the peril they truely are in.
2nd line

edit on 15-9-2010 by adifferentbreed because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

You are in peril everyday you live. Just waking up you are at risking from being killed or dying a thousand different ways and in some scenarios by hundreds of different people. But hey you want to hand over your freedoms so you can feel a little bit more secure who am I to stop you? Just remember this after they have bent these people over and outlawed their beliefs and cultural practices, what is to stop them from coming after yours? It isn't being an apologist it is being a freedom loving American who understands that freedom entails a degree of risk, and that it is morally wrong for me to take a peoples social and cultural identity away from them.

new topics

top topics

join