It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's up with all the Coin like finds on Mars?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Well I see posts all over on the findings of 'coins' on Mars, so figured I would toss in my pennies...

I looked around and I am pretty sure no one found this one yet... but since NASA images are public domain anyway I won't tag it as mine
like some are prone to do...

Here is the full image...

Opportunity Finds a 'Coin'
PIA06287
photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

Original Caption Released with Image:

NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity took the images that make up this mosaic with its microscopic imager on sol 139 (June 14, 2004). The target is a rock called "Tennessee," which was drilled into by the rover's rock abrasion tool. This particular grind is the deepest performed so far during the mission. The hole is 8.12 millimeters (0.32 inches) deep and took two hours and four minutes to create. The previous record was a 7.23-millimeter-deep (0.28-inch-deep) hole dug on sol 86 (April 21, 2004) on the feature dubbed "Pilbara," located in Meridiani's "Fram Crater." Image Credit: NASA/JPL/Cornell/USGS Image Addition Date: 2004-06-17

PIA06287 Tiff (4.142 MB)

PIA06287Jpg (611.3 kB)

So while I was looking at that one I figured I would do my own look at the other ones...

More Coins On Mars?
Spirit :: Microscopic Imager :: Sol 1452

Image Source: NASA 2M255267229EFFAX16P2956M2M1
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

NASA: Microscopic Imager :: Sol 1452

See Also:
www.marsanomalyresearch.com...

More Coins On Mars?
Spirit :: Microscopic Imager :: Sol 1434

Image Source: NASA 2M253668740EFFAX05P2956M2M1

Close Up

Rotated 90%

Colorized (I really like this one
)

NASA: Microscopic Imager :: Sol 1434

See Also:
www.marsanomalies.com...

Coin On Mars?
First one Found

See also:
ATS Thread "Coin left behind on Mars?" by SuperSlovak
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 13-9-2010 by zorgon because: Hellooooooooooo

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Very nice.

Glad you are back and in action Zorgon.

I just love seeing Mars Anomalies and you are one of ATS's most prolific researchers of the topic.

These circular ...anomalies are just perplexing.

I know you called them "coins" but could it be some sort of fossilized remnants?

Just tossing out some possibilities there.

The "it's just a geological natural formation" explanation will arrive in 3...2...1...

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It's just a geological natural formation, nothing to see here.

j/k

No seriously, those do look pretty sweet, especially the last colored set. That does look very odd. I have no clue or possible explanation for it. Wonder what it is. Too bad the rovers cant pick em up or something.

edit on 9/13/2010 by GenRadek because: quote

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Are there naturally occurring rocks or mineral deposits like these on Earth? I don't know of any off hand.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Crap! They really do look like coins! That is awesome, Zorgon! Nice finds.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
OMG
it's space pirate booty

interesting images nonetheless.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Nice find and well researched

I really like the picture you coloured. Makes it look like an authentic coin. I think I even see a face

What are your own thoughts on these?

Thanks

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Disclosure:

There are no aliens on Mars but there is inflation!

Damn you bankers....

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Am I the only one seeing a "face" on this or is it just pareidolia?
Could be a face and something by the right side, like an arm....

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sator

I see a face too. I was wondering if anyone else saw it...you confirm it.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
You know when you drop a coin and it rolls under the bed, or bounces out of your hand and down the sewer before you have a chance to grab it? That's where they end up. Mars. It has something to do with the disc shape and photon pairs. Physics and stuff.

Other than that, it might be some of those little blueberries cut or broken in half. They'd look kind of coin-like, I suppose.

edit on 13-9-2010 by Blue Shift because: My genius couldn't be contained in a single attempt.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Here's an obvious question!
What's the scale on each photograph?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I don't know which direction this thread will go, but just in case, sigung86 sums it up well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In addition, Alien Sand Dollar/exo-skeleton does fit nicely...only because we don't know.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish Matador
I really like the picture you coloured. Makes it look like an authentic coin. I think I even see a face

What are your own thoughts on these?

Well I called them 'coins' because that is the going word on the internet and better not to confuse images. The fact that they are appearing AFTER the Rover digs a hole is interesting... what are they? No way to be certain yet we can all put in our thoughts...

BUT that one I colored... DANG IT it LOOKS like a coin... and yeah the 'face' does seem to be there, Pareidolia or not. Doesn't need much 'enhancement', you can see it in the original.

Just for fun... and to give Phage and ArMaP something to work on... I simply enlarged it and tossed in a bit more color. She is kinda pretty, don't ya think? cept maybe that nose...

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I know you called them "coins" but could it be some sort of fossilized remnants?

Well yes they might be... I did a thread on possible Martian fossils earlier...

Here is one of the best ones, also found within a R.A.T excavation...

Spirit Rover Gusev Crater Sol 386 Lichen Like Fossil

SOURCE: NASA Spirit Rover Data: 2M160631572EFFA2K1P2936M2M1

This is a similar fossil on Earth

Fossils on Mars - A Collection of Evidence

The famous Rotelli 'Fossil' also came from a R.A.T hole

Opportunity Rover Digs for Fossils
Sol 30 to Sol 33
The "Rotelli" Fossils

Oddly enough a bunch of the original links to the Rotelli 'fossil' have vanished

My daughter had fun hunting fossils in those images

This is one of her 'finds'

edit on 13-9-2010 by zorgon because: meh....

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Most of these circular objects are the so called "blueberries" that exist as inclusions within another rock when the Rover Rock Abrasion Tool was grinding the target rock and it happened to grind one down:

Mars Exploration Rover (Rock Abrasion Tool)

These Mars Spherules are quite common on the surface of Mars. And no they are not actually blue.

Martian Spherules

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/37d3619b7692.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3739f069dfd3.jpg[/atsimg]

So obviously, when the RAT hits one it will grind it into what may look like a coin. We have similar spherules here on Earth. They are called Iron oxide concretions (Moqui marbles).

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Most are the areas where the abrasion tool has bored into rocks and using the microscopic imager to take a close up. They are available on the JPL site. Some of those coins would have to be inside rocks and so small as to be almost unseen by the eye. Tool marks can be like large rocks on the planet's surface that people see everything from buildings to skulls. Its just an optical illusion but that's my opinion. If money inside rocks gets you stoked, then more power to you.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by erumisato

There are "coin-shaped" rocks on Earth, called Nummulites. Here's the kicker:

FOSSILS

I recall having circular features in some of my rock collection, in some shale. I also remember that they were identified as being a mineral deposit. But think about a geode......circular is a shape found all over the world, not just the biologicals.
I'll keep looking.......but I thought finding fossil examples first was cool.
Here's the site I first found, the pictures start about 2/3 of the way down the page.Nummulites

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dcmb1490

Good point! I didn't read very carefully, having had a circular feature in a rock before, and missed the "microscopic" aspect.
Scale is important, and not showing it on the pictures makes the word "Coin" almost void.
Circles are the perfect shape, whatever dimension they are in. Microscopic features bear this out all over the place.
Sheesh...I feel almost gyped. Good Job!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dcmb1490

I think you're right. Unless they are pretty tiny coins. The RAT cuts a hole about two inches in diameter. That makes the "coin" in 2M255267229EFFAX16P2956M2M1 about 1/20" of an inch in diameter. The one in 2M253668740EFFAX05P2956M2M1 is about 1/8". Of course there is the fact that these "coins" are found inside of rocks.

I think it's more likely to be leftovers from the rotating wire brush which is used to clean up after the cutting blades are used.
But maybe it's ancient LGMs with holes in their pockets who dropped their money and it became fossilized?

edit on 9/13/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

Thanks for the info! My money is on these "coins" being Martian sand dollars. I have no doubt in my dain bramaged mind that Mars's oceans once supported life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join