It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is this star "twinkling" with flashes of red?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
A star will appear to flash or twinkle in a variety of colors the closer it gets to the horizon. The light has to travel through more atmosphere and appears to change color. If it happens when it's directly above you, you MIGHT have something.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
What the OP describes sounds kind of like how Sirius looks in the morning to me particularly when it is down near the horizon. The reason for the changing colors is partly its proximity to the horizon as well as the fact that it is a binary system of two stars in particularly close configuration. There is also speculation that it may be a trinary system.

Resolving the Red Contraversy: Scienceblogs.com

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I have been setting out side with my new scope sense around 8ish and so far just one good pic
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b8229495001c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Yup, probably Arcturus. At least, it has been really cool looking for the past month or so, with bright red/yellow twinkles and such.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
OK I shouldn't say the star is twinkling red. Because the star is still white, it's that there are/were red spots over the white, not as big as the white as to cover it though. Like take our sun and imagine looking at it, and seeing a green spot flashing in different areas of its circle. Now imagine it being far away, that's what I saw last night.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join