It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Wanna Fight? ATS Debate Tournament (Tournament Update)

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Tournament has already begun. Debates tend to garner a nice bonus of points, stars, and attention, not to mention the opportunity to win the debate champion badge for your mini-profile. However there are no material prizes, and frankly any prizes we could likely put up would pale in comparison to the effort it takes to win a tournament. This is just one of those things that it only makes sense to do for the love of the action.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

edit on 1-11-2010 by rajaten because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
The answer to the missed question has been inserted and the debate may continue.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Have been informed that I botched the capitalization on somebody's name.

If anybody has a specific request on how their name should be written, please u2u me how you want it so I can copy and paste it (unless you have already corrected me, in which case I got it).

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

What nut would have raised such a ridiculous issue?

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Maybe the person meant capitulation not capitalization.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Who it was isn't so much the issue as making sure I don't annoy or offend anyone by accident. Not at all an unreasonable request for someone to make, and one that I hope anybody would feel comfortable raising with me, hence the post.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I have been informed that an edit tag appears in a debate post in this thread. So far the only claim being made about it is that it was copied and pasted into a post that was never actually edited, from the textfield of an edited draft that was posted elsewhere on ats to check bbcode. If this is true, then the debate post was never edited and will not be deleted. If anyone has reason to believe the post actually was edited after being posted in the debate thread, please bring it to my attention by u2u ASAP and I will investigate.

I have had questions about what to do if ones opponent does not post for an exceedingly long time, or longer than may have been agreed upon. My advice is that in order to keep the tournament moving, debaters should consider posting and causing their opponent to forfeit a post. If you do not wish to obtain an advantage, you may post that you are forfeiting your post along with them and that the floor is again theirs. At that point they have another 24 hours (or as long after 24 hours as you refrain from posting- you would be able to end the debate in your favor whenever necessary with another post at that point.)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
A few pages back it was proposed to start add a second trhead for discussion of debates. I'd like to suggest that be done after the first round is completed. I would be interested in having there be a critique shared amongst participants with the understanding that there only be discussion of completed debates, not debates in process.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

maybe you would like to join us?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

maybe you would like to join us?

...ahh. Yes, I would. But isn't talking about a debate in progress bad form? I mean, since everyone else is apparently already doing it, I'll happily join in and blame it on you guys. But it seems a bit impolite. For example, I don't like it when people I'm chess with someone and an observer tells my opponent "hey, you could totally put him in check by moving that piece."

edit on 3-11-2010 by LordBucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

No discussion of current debate occurs...it's more of a relaxed atmosphere for updates and mild rabble rousing...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I have just finished sending U2Us related to the debates that appear to have been abandoned by at least one of the participants. There will likely be a few wins by forfeiture in this round unfortunately, but that is better than dragging the tournament out and risking more of us being pulled away by real life in later rounds.

Congratulations to those who have completed their debates.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
3 Debates are now in the hands of the judges. The judges have received some basic written instruction which limits their focus to the arguments as presented in the debate and instructs them to disregard stars, flags, reputations, etc.

3 Debates have been poked with a stick to see if they have any signs of life.

2 More debates are still coming along very well and will go to the judges as soon as they are ready.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

Awesome!

Out of curiosity though (and coz I'm impatient
), will we know the results of any one debate as soon as the judges decide or will the results of each and every debate be posted at once?

edit on 4-11-2010 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

From past debates I have been in this is the rule of thumb.

Please wait 6 to 8 weeks for delivery.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Please wait 6 to 8 weeks for delivery.

I refuse to believe....

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Just wanted to say, I read your Debate. Good job.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Oh yeah, I think I read yours too.. Was good.

edit on 4-11-2010 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Chissler and my debate is complete. May the alien judges have mercy on our souls.

Anyway, I have read the beginnings of a few of the debates. I did want to wait until they were complete. Good luck to all the challengers, except Chissler.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join