It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Boeing-Sikorsky RAh-66 Comanche Stealth Helicopter

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by crusader97

Have they leased the prototypes out to the film industry? I ask because in an episode of Law and Order(cant remember which series,possibly SVU), the detectiv visit an army base and TWO Commanches can clearly be seen flying in the background. Pretty certain of it.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
If the RAH-66 is a stealth helicopter, how does it keep stealth when its rotatable wing is rotating, I wonder?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by WestPoint23
i am still sad they canceled the program hope they reactivated

While I am a fan of the Commanche, did it really have a place in future conflicts? Even as a scout? I would be be very surprised if another army ever confronts the US head on and in the open. The Army's experience in SOmalia and GWII showed they were really vulnerable to small arms fire. Would'nt want a gomer with an AK to take one out. I hope that the technology makes its way into other ships in the future...

To refute your statement that the RAH-66 is "vulnerable to small arms fire", I paraphrase from various US Military Documents, so as not to disclose their still Classified Status:

"The airframe is crash worthy and ballistically tolerant to 23mm gunfire.

The rear rotor is able to withstand impact by 12.7mm rounds "

Since most enemy small arms fire is the 7.62 AK47 round......

Also, the Comanche is NOT a scout. Officially, it is The RAH-66 Comanche Reconnaissance / Attack Helicopter" The amount of missiles and rockets it can carry/deploy makes it more ATTACK than RECON. A better description would be STEALTH/ATTACK.

The reason this was scrapped was political, not military. I wish I could divulge more info, but I would be compromising NSA Regulations.

Good Day.

RipRap

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I don't understand the concept of a stealth helicopter. Most of them are brought down by visual ID of them with small arms fire. Seems like a waste of money. Everyone knows when a helicopter is attacking you, which is when it is most vulnerable.

Give me a Warthog Helicopter over a stealth one any day.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Does anyone else find it sickening and disgusting that so much money is spent on these machines of death/murder by the major powers etc when there are so many people living in hardship and poverty?

Nope, I thought not you homicidal maniacs

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
BUMP

Does anyone have any clues on what might replace the Apache?

Did this program go black or have Firescout and future UAVs surpassed it?

I think there could be some awesome CAS / Apache replacements in the UAV variety?!

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Loved the look of the Commanche and its sudden cancellation 11 years ago does make you wonder what has actually been happening since then...

According to this In 2011 the Army requested a "high speed rotorcraft" which must have a minimum top speed of 370 KM/h , be optionally manned AND be able to carry up to 9 people plus gear.

According to the article they also wanted to be able to scale into a family of craft to replace the UH-60, the AH-64 , the big Chinook and the little OH58 Kiowa...

Sounds almost exactly like the Boeing SOFTA and its proposed derivatives but apparently it never progressed...
Along with a lack of tactical LTA vehicles, the lack of any visibility on future Rotorcraft is one of the main reasons I think there's probably something quite special out there.

Evidence of UH-60's with stealth rotor modifications of course ruin this supposition but it wouldn't be too difficult to leave a fake one at OBL's house so nobody was asking how they got in and out without being intercepted.
edit on 3-4-2015 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   
There was a post not long ago of the Blackhawk replacement.Think smaller and a sleeker version of the Blackhawk.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
Not 100% sure but the Blackhawks replacement is the new sikorsky s-97 raider.
raider.sikorsky.com...

Wiki page: en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Thats the first time I have seen the Raider, I heard about it but never looked it up.
Im not sure why, but Im just not feeling it as a replacement to the blackhawk.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: snowen20
As for being a replacement I'm not entirely sure. As for my own views on it it's the ugliest helicopter I've seen. Really not impressed lol

I believe there's a thread on here to do with the Raider. Apparently it's a pretty good platform they are developing

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
From my understanding, the Commanche was a victim of changing requirements and had become too heavy. At some point, the project engineers had to considered removing the gun to make room for new gear required by the army aviation board.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

The Raider is one of the finalists to compete for the Army's new helo program. The Bell V-280 Valor is the other one.

Here is the thread I made about them and the program a while back:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Raider engine testing:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
But is it not unusual to have a 1970s Attack helo without an apparent future replacement strategy?

I understood that the Commanche was canned because the Apache was still a few generations better than it's threats so couple that with what Buddha said I can see it's gone, but also the navy ah-1 is ageing.

Perhaps those platforms are still perfect for its operational parameters so why change?

Just seems too sensible!!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Even the Apache now is a generation older that helos like the Eurocopter Tiger ,Rooivalk,Ka50 and Kawasaki XOH-1.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Which is less relevant in an attack helicopter than in other equipment. They're not going to be fighting each other, just equipment on the ground. If their weapons are better than the targets armor, they win. If their sensors are good enough to pick up targets from a distance they can kill their targets.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger
Even the Apache now is a generation older that helos like the Eurocopter Tiger ,Rooivalk,Ka50 and Kawasaki XOH-1.

The conclusion that you draw is grossly inaccurate. The Apache is constantly being upgraded the most recent is the AH 64E. Compared with the Tiger, the Apache carries a larger warload and has a much improved sensor suite. The Rooivalk is only built in small quantities. It doesn't maneuver as well as the Apache due it's size and lower power/ weight ratio. The Ka 50/52 and Mi 28 are good helos but again they were built in small quantities. The XOH-1 and Agusta A-129 aren't in the same category. Both are light weights with half the power and warloads.

Helos don't fight helos in a normal environment and there is only one "catfight" that I'm aware of. An Iranian AH-1J shot down a Iraqi Mi-17 during their conflict. The only helo kill was an Air America UH-1H that shot down a AN-2 over Laos. The crew chief used an AK-47 while hanging out the door.

Helicopter are used for reccon/ground attack/medical evacuation and specops. They aren't fighters or bombers.

The Commanche was intended to be an armed recce/light attack airframe which changing requirements made it too heavy to perform it's intended mission. It then was used as a technology demonstrator like stealth, sensors and maneuvering before being cancelled.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join