It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investors Head for Bunkers, Driving Up 'Shelter Shares'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Investors Head for Bunkers, Driving Up 'Shelter Shares'

online. wsj.com

"If it's the end of the world, what do you buy? Canned foods, guns and the generators," said Keith Springer, president of Capital Financial Advisory Services. "There are a huge number of people who feel this is the end of the world."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-8-2010 by BattleStarGal]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Wow. I was shocked to see an article like this in The Wall Street Journal.

It appears that preparing for TEOTWAWKI is becoming a main stream trend.

I thought that lately I've been a bit paranoid about preparing for WTSHTF (I bought a few survival books last week, and am looking to buy a storm shelter since I don't have a basement) but I guess maybe I am sensing the same feeling of "urgency" as others.

I feel like I need to seriously stock up and brush up on my self-sufficency skills.

Has anyone else felt the same way lately?

online. wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-8-2010 by BattleStarGal]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
As much I wish I had the money to lavish on a bunker for my family and friends stocked with food, arms and medicine I wonder what the standard of life would be like. Would it be better to die with the rest of humanity than survive in a bunker and end up at each other throats as stocks run low.
Say it is an Asteroid, Nuclear war or any number of mass extinction events and you do survive in a bunker, you have to ask what would be the plan, stuck in a bunker going stir crazy with no real life on the surface possible for many generations to come.
As well as this for a bunker to substain even a small amount of people it has to be advanced I see no point in building a small bunker as the room needed for waste alone would exceed a bunker costing under a million pounds. Isnt the cheeriest of subjects to be honest, if you can get into a large complex you are golden but imagine what the social conditions would be like.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Oh the interest in prepping has gone up significantly in the past few years for sure, however I think the economic woes are only one contributing factor out of many. There have been several disasters in the past decade that have shown just how bad things can get (Katrina, the Tsunami in Asia, Gulf Incident, etc) and people are starting to slowly come around to the idea that being prepared is better than having your pants around your ankles when things go sideways.

I know I've been working on my contingency plans, and others that I work with who previously never gave it a second thought are now considering the perks of a remote piece of property with a cache of useful items as a backup place to reside if things get hairy in the more populated areas around the country.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
this is why i was a boy scout.
be prepared.
if you cant see the handwriting on the wall
by now.. then go back to your grazing.
if you are paying attention then you are steadily preparing.
for what? there's plenty to be concerned about.
besides -what harm is it to have some food stores around.
these days having a weapon and learning to defend yourself
seems like a logical thing to me.
i'd play some "what-if" scenarios through your head..
plan b. cdefg even. it's as simple as the ant and the grasshopper fable.
look at RSOE EDIS for real time event status.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I’m slowly getting ready. My biggest threat I feel will be the height of the 2013 solar flares and CME’s that could wipe out the power grid. I even convinced my dad who is very conservative to start preparing for this event.

We have a 1200 acre ranch but the only problem is we need to travel through a MAJOR city, plus 4 hour car drive to get there. That’s best case if the cars are working after this point. There is really no way around. We must travel through this city and all I can imagine our road blocks and gangs ready to ambush.

But once we get to the ranch we have cattle, seeds, fresh year round spring water, 8 fully stocked ponds to fish, more guns then a small army, and solar panels. Just got to get there

[edit on 31-8-2010 by camaro68ss]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

I agree and it does raise a very interesting a philosophical question. Do you stock up and prepare as much as possible to live through the apocalypse, or do you just go about your normal life and parish with the rest?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Truth is those who can afford bunkers and those who cannot is a clear indicator of the humble and the selfcentered (I will hide and leave you out there to die) AND ITS OBSERVED FROM ABOVE. So to comfort those w/o a bunker I wouldnt want to be trapped underground YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT MAY COME UP FROM THE BOTTOM. Why the exit trap doors are locked and sealed. I am above ground FACING IT. Their deeds are mentioned in the book of revelations.

6:14And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

6:15And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;

This has got to bother them. WHY ARE THEY HIDDING FROM THE WRATH OF THE LAMB? ARE THEY NOT ON HIS SIDE? So dont feel bad because we aint got bunkers ect. They will be dealing with the same if not worst conditions (AND DONT LET A REAL WORMHOLE -LMAO- APPEAR TAKING EVERYONE LEFT OUTSIDE ABOVEGROUND AWAY FROM THIS LEAVING THEM AS FOOD SMH. But we shall all see.

6:16And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

Almost reminds me of the scenerio in the movie 2012 when all the rich got into the arcs along w/ hand picked people. What a sick mind joke that movie was in the end. Just left all the poor humble out to die. THATS THE MOVIES FOR YA!!!

s&F op for the info.

[edit on 8/31/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I catch what your saying. good points all around

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Never thought I'd see the day when the MSM would do serious stories about preppers and the business end of it

Kinda funny in a way, I feel like they are the little lost lambs fumbling around without a clue as to how to face an uncertain future.
Whatever type of disaster may befall us life will go on, the same as it ever has - people need to eat, drink, sleep and be entertained to some extent. Those who are wholly dependent upon electronic devices are going to be in for a rude surprise.
On the other hand, those who have lived close to the earth, living simply, will do quite well. Their lives will not change that much.
All in all I feel like there is a culling in the air, something is going to come along and sort out humanity. The whole paradigm of the haves and have-nots will be turned on it's head. Those with offices on the top of skyscrapers will be beggars in the gutter while the poor and downtrodden will walk like kings. They know how to work with their hands and live by the sweat of their brows every day.
It only strengthens my faith in God to know that justice is coming to us all. The meek shall inherit the earth, not the weak. The weak are the ones who live by the efforts of others, parasites in a socially ordained pecking order where lies are the most valuable of commodities.
To all in the coming transitions I wish you the best of luck. Persevere and count each day as the blessing it truly is. The earth will sustain us and we shall walk free once again, released from the bondage of oppression of a society gone mad.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This does not make any sence. If it is the end of the world what good will some canned food and a generator do? If they are expecting tribulation then they may come in handy but if it is the end of the world nothing is going to help. Just my analogy

[edit on 1-9-2010 by Melissa101]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by p51mustang
this is why i was a boy scout.
be prepared.
if you cant see the handwriting on the wall
by now.. then go back to your grazing.
if you are paying attention then you are steadily preparing.
for what? there's plenty to be concerned about.
besides -what harm is it to have some food stores around.
these days having a weapon and learning to defend yourself
seems like a logical thing to me.
i'd play some "what-if" scenarios through your head..
plan b. cdefg even. it's as simple as the ant and the grasshopper fable.
look at RSOE EDIS for real time event status.

Being a former boy scout isn't going to help being as they call it "The End Of The World"! I mean what is boy scout training going to help when the WORLD ends? I'm talking about about the same world that we live on. What makes me laugh is that most of you people think that when it does end that it will be like some movie or video game.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
these people read too much ATS

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101
This does not make any sence. If it is the end of the world what good will some canned food and a generator do? If they are expecting tribulation then they may come in handy but if it is the end of the world nothing is going to help. Just my analogy

Thats my thought exacty. I mean that don't call it the END OF THE WORLD for nothing. Besides i would rather die then live my rest of my life underground in some bunker. What do people think will happen afterwards? That they will be able to go above ground with animals all over the place, the enivornment in prefect condition and breatheable air?

[edit on 1-9-2010 by Alien Mind]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
Truth is those who can afford bunkers and those who cannot is a clear indicator of the humble and the selfcentered (I will hide and leave you out there to die) AND ITS OBSERVED FROM ABOVE. So to comfort those w/o a bunker I wouldnt want to be trapped underground YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT MAY COME UP FROM THE BOTTOM. Why the exit trap doors are locked and sealed. I am above ground FACING IT. Their deeds are mentioned in the book of revelations.

6:14And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

6:15And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;

This has got to bother them. WHY ARE THEY HIDDING FROM THE WRATH OF THE LAMB? ARE THEY NOT ON HIS SIDE? So dont feel bad because we aint got bunkers ect. They will be dealing with the same if not worst conditions (AND DONT LET A REAL WORMHOLE -LMAO- APPEAR TAKING EVERYONE LEFT OUTSIDE ABOVEGROUND AWAY FROM THIS LEAVING THEM AS FOOD SMH. But we shall all see.

6:16And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

Almost reminds me of the scenerio in the movie 2012 when all the rich got into the arcs along w/ hand picked people. What a sick mind joke that movie was in the end. Just left all the poor humble out to die. THATS THE MOVIES FOR YA!!!

s&F op for the info.

[edit on 8/31/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

You are right. The Christians and those with faith will be fine. Doesnt it say that those who looked to save their lives lost them. A little extra food and what not isnt a bad idea, even Noah prepared but this will get us through the tribulation if it is God's will. When the end somes we will change in a blink of an eye and will have no need at all for food ect....

new topics

top topics

join