It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does society value celebrities and lawyers more than scientists or engineers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I saw a question on Yahoo! Answers today. The person asked: "Why does society value celebrities and lawyers more than scientists or engineers?"

"Why does society value celebrities and lawyers more than scientists or engineers?"

I thought this was a good question. So I answered.

Simple, because its interesting to them, unlike science and technology. People today are very ignorant.

They lack understanding of how and why things work. They are not going to be interested in space, nature, health, technology, nature. Heck, they would not care if ETs came down! They only care about the latest scandal, the new guy on shows like American Idol etc., and they only care about themselves.

We need to learn, gain knowledge of what is around us. If we do that, we can all see that there is no purpose in seeing such celebrities. If people were wise enough, they would be interested in such milestones, but that is not the case.

This is the same with religion. It isn't the idea whether there is a god or not. I mean it went from something that sounded amazing, to just another debate, that sounds more political than spiritual! The question we should all be asking is "Where is the Spirituality? Where is the love in the world?" My friend, the spirituality, and love is being lost, and it is not by the government. It is not by the Mainstream media. It is not by the show hosts, or the singers, or actors out there. We are losing it by Ignorance, and we are letting it take us over...

Now I am not Christian (but am not an Atheist), I have heard a saying before.
"The road to Hell is paved with good things." No matter what your belief is, this does have a meaning, literal or not, and its true, that if we do not change, are future is not going to look good.

We forget that there is topics to think about. There is subjects that need to be question. There is a world out there that is begging to be discovered! We need to let go of what is not important. We need to ignore the indoctrination given to us in schools today, and question the people who talk about such fallacies, and not be too trusting because someone famous says such lies without any evidence of so! We need to make Common Sense common again!

This is what I hate most. When people are willingly unable to question the world around them. Hopefully my answer will be the best answer. What do you think about what I said?

[edit on 8/29/2010 by Shoomoo]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Agreed whole heartedly!

Most celebrity chatter is completely off of my radar, and if they are quoted in some way, I take it as with as much consideration as an unknown stranger's.

Everyone has opinions, but that is usually all they are, opinions.
Why should society listen to some over paid tv monkey about anything?

I stay away from any media where celebrity life is reported on.
Life is too short.

On the other side, I enjoy watching scientists and listening to their theories and discoveries.

I suppose it all comes down to what exactly turns your world.

pity the sleeping masses

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I think an equally valid question would be why do we value celebrities above binmen and road sweepers.

After all, if those people weren't prepared to clean up after us we'd all be up to our necks in rubbish.

True unsung heroes.

join