It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Survival Tips - For 2012 or whenever.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I am in no way saying I believe 2012 is doomsday, but lets get a collection of say real survival things for other people. I will start.

Purifying Water: Source

River and lake water may contain harmful bacteria as well as disease causing spores such as Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidum. To completely kill these microorganisms you will have to vigorously boil the water for at least one minute as recommended by EPA (environmental protection agency). To be on the save side, you can boil the water longer to ensure that all microorganisms have been killed. When you are on higher elevations, you will have to boil the water longer to effectively disinfect.

When boiling is not an option, chemical disinfection is effective at killing disease causing microorganisms. One of the most used is the iodine pellets sold in recreational stores and online retailers. These pellets are easy to use and very convenient to carry around with you.

Make sure you evaluate the condition of the river or lake water before deciding to disinfect. Some water might be colored and can indicate more trouble than microorganisms. The water might be contaminated with chemicals that disinfection won't be enough to make it potable. In other words, choose your sources carefully and use common sense to judge the situation.

For more information on emergency water disinfection, see EPA's official website on advice: www.epa.gov...

Fire Starting without Matches - Many ways: Source

The link provided tells of more ways then one to start a fire without matches. Its the best source I have found.

This is an old standby. It’s always a good idea to carry around a good flint and steel set with you on a camping trip. Matches can get wet and be become pretty much useless, but you can still get a spark from putting steel to a good piece of flint. Sweedish Firesteel-Army model is a good set to use.

These are just 2 of the basics I have been reading over. I have only tried to start a fire with the battery and steel wool with no luck yet.

Anything else you guys would like to add that are real survival tips please add. Thanks I will add more when I have more time.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Another good way to get fresh clean water is by use of a solar still. Basically a plastic sheeting and a cup is all you need.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AngelsOnMyShoulder

Thanks for the addition. I just started my search and trying of these things. I plan to do one at a time till I figure out how to do one. Then once I can do it and repeat it move on to another.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCloud

You are welcome, My friend and I are actually working on a collaboritive website for survival tips. Obviously some people have more knowledge then others for specific things, so it would be wonderful to gather the knowledge in one place.

Water as it is the primary key in survival is a great first step ;-)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Obtaining Salt from Seawater: Source

Collecting and Filtering # The first step is to get the seawater and transport it. You'll need large plastic or glass jugs. At least 5 quarts of seawater will be needed. Once it's been collected and taken back to your home, the water has to be filtered. A cheesecloth is a common filter used in this process, but others serve the same purpose. You don't want to lose the salt in the filtering process; you want to lose the materials like sand.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Id also reccomend getting to know your local area/country well. There are some survival tips that are used anywhere in the world but alot of the knowledge you need to survive will be local to you flora, fauna, terrain and weather.

I reccomend hiking trips with a few text books to get to know the flora and fauna, find out whats edible and how to get it, and memorize it all. You can kil two birds with one stone by getting fit and familerizing yourself with the wilderness.

Another thing you could do is go out all alone with no map, and keep the epirb, gps and all that deep down in your pack and try not to use any of it. Although you partly know you could get help from the technology at any time you will find you'll get a little taste test of what its like to be lost, all alone, and maybe partly going mad with your own thoughts.
This exercise will help to build the mental strength you'll need.

Depending on the area you could also ask for knowledge from the local native peoples decendents, if you are polite, very kind and respectfull they may be tickled pink you take such an interest in their knowldge and may be willing to teach a few things.

If you know all the flora, fauna, can navigate the old way, know the terrain, are mentally strong, and physically fit, then in many regions you could go out with the clothes on your back a knife and maybe flint and survive just fine.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by polarwarrior]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
All right, for one thing, get this in the right forum, meaning the survival forum.

Survival forum link

Next, what ever the "Art of Manliness" website has to say about survival, I'm sure it has been covered in the previously mentioned forum.

Do a search through that forum, there is more advice on true survival techniques there than just about anywhere else on the net.

It will truly be worth your time.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngelsOnMyShoulder
Another good way to get fresh clean water is by use of a solar still. Basically a plastic sheeting and a cup is all you need.

en.wikipedia.org...

This will not provide enough for one day of activity, and even worse
if it is warm or dry out.

I'd go with boiling, or with a long life cleanable filter bottle, but long
term it will wear out.

SODIS is an option thou, but I'd use glass if you can to avoid BPA.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

As for fire swedish firesteel is great, and so is a parabola made of
aluminum foil and the sun.

Indian Fire bow method works as well, but it takes some practice
and a lot of elbow grease.

A moderate magnify glass or fresnel lense will work too.

A local edible and medicinal plants guide that is laminated is a
very good idea.

A pocket SAS survival guide is pretty good as well, and then put it
in a double zip lock baggie.

A full bugout bag is a good idea as well.

There is a LOT more to this and I think the link to the survival forums
is the best place to look for the "big picture" and I'd like to
recommend survivalblog as well.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

new topics

top topics

join