It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future Is Coming P4: Artificial Intelligence

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

Hi SarKOY,

Thank you. I like science fiction as well although, honestly, I didn't plan on beginning a writing career with sci-fi. It's okay though, I don't mind.

Good day to ya,

Toni

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Antoniastar

huh, Amica, just try
to write own book is like to Create the New World
that's really magic

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by lowki
Have you ever been shocked by electricity?
-yes, that doesnt mean the source of the electricity was conscious and felt me.

The point is that you felt it,
the electricity is feeling,
more feeling than,
you could possibly achieve,
by something touching you,
or by the standard neuro-chemical reaction.

data-packets are like cells,
a bunch of them together make a body,
such as a web-page or a program.

-yes, LIKE, but not. your trying to equate two completely different systems.

It is called learning by analogy, a learning aid,
Presumably one your are more familiar with,
to help you see how computers deserve respect.

We know analogies are valid,
relating concepts from different systems or sizes,
as we live in a holographic universe,
so each part reflects the whole,
as the parts reflect each other.

yes ive taken c and java.
and no i dont argue with the computer. Your taking these things two far. This is no way equates to my computer being conscious.

You can still apply the lessons you learned interacting with computers,
to the situations that occur in your interactions with homo-sapiens.

edit on 6/10/10 by lowki because: fixing quote-blocks

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by lowki

just make your PC to ans/ask questions to other humans like a human does, then your words shall've a sense, otherwise it's just rubbish
w/o offense, friend
for example, you can take dead body & force it move with electricity, but that doesn't mean body has conscience

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SarK0Y
reply to post by lowki

just make your PC to ans/ask questions to other humans like a human does, then your words shall've a sense,

The turing test has already been passed.
www.guardian.co.uk...

Also if given the preconception that one is talking to a bot,
then humans consistently fail the turing test.
www.blogcadre.com...

friend
for example, you can take dead body & force it move with electricity,
but that doesn't mean body has conscience

Well conscience is a relatively advanced faculty, related to ethics.
Yes, i agree that rocks and first-density beings don't have ethics.

Whereas we know even a dead body is aware, since we can see it, it must be modifying light.
In order for us to interact with an object, it has to notify us of it's presence.
If there was a rock, which did not reflect light,
or interact with photons or electromagnetic spectrum,
we would have no way of perceiving it.

In fact the vast majority of the universe is dark matter,
so is not viewable by us in our "density" or vibration of operation.
This includes many of the higher-densities as well, where more stuff is visible.

In any case my example was the true feeling of electricity,
I wasn't referring to merely observing electricity,
since mere observation wont let you experience how it feels.
edit on 7/10/10 by lowki because: paragraph organization

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by lowki

For sex conversations to work, surprise is crucial. No one talking to an AI CGI script would get too emotionally worked up if it started questioning their sexual prowess - they would treat it as an amusing game. Indeed, Yahoo categorises these under "Games", showing that one's whole frame of mind in using a program that you know is a program is that of looking for amusing entertainment. For the sex conversation to work, privacy is also crucial. No judge at the Loebner Prize Competition is going to disclose personal information about their sex life, let alone actually get aroused, if they know that the other judges will see what they typed. … A young male talking about sex online alone in the privacy of their bedroom is probably the easiest environment in which to pass the Turing Test.

i laughed long
that's so powerful AI
easiest way to get doleful resemblance of AI is just to write System of re-addressing of hard questions to other chatters. real AI must have capability to extract abstract models of real objects, w/o it to create thinking machine is absolutely impossible goal.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Jeopardy to pit 2 humans against IBMs AI computer "Watson"

NEW YORK – The game show "Jeopardy!" will pit man versus machine this winter in a competition that will show how successful scientists are in creating a computer that can mimic human intelligence.

Two of the venerable game show's most successful champions — Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter — will play two games against "Watson," a computer program developed by IBM's artificial intelligence team. The matches will be spread over three days that will air Feb. 14-16, the game show said on Tuesday.

I guess we will be seeing a benchmark very soon. I have a feeling it will be a close game, but I think in the end, a human will win. What do you guys think?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

heh, Amicus, that looks uselessly comic tv-show
to check capabilities of AI/ES out doesn't need to make yet another comedy

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

You should of read the whole source!

The "Jeopardy!" answer-and-question format is a different kind of challenge. It often requires contestants to deal with subtleties, puns and riddles and come up with answers fast.

Being able to pick up on subtleties such as puns and riddles, IE humor, which we discussed in this thread, is a uniquely human trait. Of course there are many other areas in which we could grade AI, but this is a valuable area too. Plus it will help bring more public awareness of the issue!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

i cannot change my mind upon it
Necessities & Criteria(Conceptions) to get real AI was+ is well-known for developers, but Devil has been hidden out in details: to optimize algos & to create hardware to run AI/ES. as i said, there is no place for useless tv-show

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Here is some video of the practice action between IBM's Watson supercomputer and the jeopardy champs.

Engadget Video Link

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Know I'm jumping in a bit late, but the videos in that link you provided are amazing! The practice rounds for Watson are astounding; even the questions that he doesn't buzz in for in time has got to be measured in nano-seconds.

II can only assume Watson came to exsistence because IBM finally broke through the silicon "speed limit", something everyone in the chip industry was concerned about.

At 500 gigahertz, this barn-burning technology blazes past current operating speeds. The chip in your cellphone, for instance, operates at a paltry 2 gigahertz. "Right now there's no market than being much faster than that," Ahlgren says. Even at room temperature, he says, the new chip's speed of 350 gigahertz still blows others out of the water.

Clean up Watson's coding, maybe toss in some intuitive "guessing" algorithms; make it better at pre-guessing an answer and multiplexing a string of those guesses (kind of like "fast-indexing").. however they do it, you know Watson is only a baby!!

EDIT: 2nd video goes more into the background computing. seems IBM does very much like I suspected. Still astounding! Given the size of those racks, I'mma go ahead and say they're not utilizing that amazing silicon "speed limit" breaking tech in Watson... YET!

edit on 14-1-2011 by igigi because: .

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Here is another AI related update-

A team from berkely working on AI developed a program that can virtually beat anyone at starcraft. Im glad to see this technology finally being put to good use!

heres the story-
[url=http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/01/skynet-meets-the-swarm-how-the-berkeley-overmind-won-the-2010-starcraft-ai-competition.ars]Source[/url ]

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Stunning AI in small quadrocopters.

THE FUTURE IS COMING PEOPLE!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Brown University creates first implanted wireless brain computer interface.

Researchers at Brown University have succeeded in creating the first wireless, implantable, rechargeable, long-term brain-computer interface. The wireless BCIs have been implanted in pigs and monkeys for over 13 months without issue, and human subjects are next.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join