It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US, EU, Australia and more to sign ACTA in September

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

US, EU, Australia and more to sign ACTA in September

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Negotiators from the United States, the European Union and nine other countries said on Friday they planned to finish work in September on a proposed pact to crack down on trade in counterfeit and pirated goods.

The countries also pledged to publicly release the final text of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, which has raised concerns among Internet and digital rights advocates, "before deciding to sign it."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ACTA document leaked - The end of ATS

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Forget your mosque protests, forget Iran and forget petty conspiracies. This is the truth of the matter: on a political level, a pact will be signed in September by 11 countries that will basically throw out a major part of what most consider to be "freedom" on the internet.

en.wikipedia.org...

It will be interesting to see how broad the category of "intellectual property rights" can be pushed. And I would be quite interested to see how the governments of the world can force this on an international level. I know that in Australia, the mandatory internet filter issue (which, to my disgruntlement, hasn't found a place here on ATS although it is certainly a topic in the caliber of this website) would cover the enforcement side of this agreement.

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter, and your speculations as to the content of the document (and its' fine print), and what this will mean for the average Joe citizen of the world.

-SZ-

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I know this is coming. What I'm confused about it what will be consider pirated. Can you imagine a young teen uploading a fan made video of a popular song then getting in trouble about it.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
That's already happening...there's cases with Warner Music Group and Sony where someone has uploaded even a snippet of a song hosted by their label on Youtube and they have come down with massive lawsuits. I don't think the ACTA is going to do much to clear that kind of issue up. As a musician, I think the only thing this will do is put more money in the hands of huge music corporations and it won't benefit the artists at all, though they're trying to go imply that it will help the artists.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperZepto

That's what I was think earlier. Unless someone who is mainstream.
Have you ever seen this picture?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Haha! No I had not seen that before, but I do totally agree with it.
Again from a musician's perspective, I don't really mind if people download my music because I know that it's just opening people up to become fans, and that if they truly like us they will buy some merch or come to a show. The problem is that these decisions are made at the top of the label chain, and it's all written down in contracts so the artists can't argue. Have you ever noticed any artists other than Metallica speaking out against music sharing?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I probably have but I forget though. Music sales have sank as well films. Can you imagine having a CD sell not as much. The songs are not even seeling much on itunes. But everyone seems to have all the songs on their ipods and other mp3's?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Well physical music formats are a bit outdated now. Personally, I download all my music and then if I really like something, I"ll buy it on CD. I always download movies because Hollywood has enough money without me buying a ticket to contribute to its' ridiculous box office figures or buying a DVD that's twice the ticket cost plus a few useless special features.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Here here!! Money is hard to come by these days. I can live without the latest craze in life.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Giving the media more money, you are only feeding the machine. The same machine that is enslaving us.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Wasn't it the living-dead greed-master Ruper Murdoch

who decided to show everyone he was boss

by charging for news online ?

That was a slap in the chops for him, wasn' t it ?

No one was prepared to pay for the garbage he pushes as 'news'

Hell, he can't even give it away

With a bit of luck, this greedy-grab re: music and movies etc.

will go the same way

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
FLAG THIS FOOLS! *said in the style of Mr.T*

This is critical and I'd imagine that many an ATS member is not cautioned to what's alleged to go down this September.

We're losing the internet. Think about what that means. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING I know about conspiracy theory was found online. Sure we can stockpile films but what about upcoming generations who'll never be privy to the online alternative movement?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by rexusdiablos]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Next they will insist on spyware inside all computers to watch your every move.

That or the 'cloud concept' which frankly scares me stupid as a computer user who keeps vast amount of data 'offline'.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Aside from wanting to bump up the exposure of this, my first post on ATS, I think it should be flagged because EVERYONE needs to know about this. Especially since most of the members on here are from the big 3 (UK, US and Australia).

I am a journalist, and it is my personal vision to provide the truth whenever I write. I may not be able to change the face of the media globally but at least I can do what's right personally.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
@Astr0 - if you have Norton or McAfee products installed on your computer, you've already got spyware. And here in Australia with the data retention scheme, the government will be able to view ISP-hosted logs of all of our internet activities at any time they want.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Same thing has been happening with the manga industry

I blame the economic downturn for every industry lack of sell of there stuff, these copyright laws are getting ridiculously.

Everyone should be against this bill!

S&Flagged! for important thread.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

So this agreement is related to the internet also. Does that just mean that they will be searching for people selling illegal pirated movies and stuff on streets, or actual pirate sites on the internet. What is the problem with this?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I think it's much bigger than that. I think they'll directly be targeting the websites, possibly through the internet filter. But even worse, ALL internet activity will be logged through the data retention scheme. That means if you decide to download a movie from a supposedly secure location, "they" will know instantly. This is the biggest issue facing the Australian people right now, and it's been dodged in the election.

top topics

join