It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When is proton density a concern?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Hi i have been posting on another thread www.abovetopsecret.com... in regards to the proton density of the solar wind.

In January 2005 proton density went up to 29 protons/cm3 and reached Earth within hours!

Now today I have seen proton density go from 8.9 protons/cm3 to 41.6 protons/cm3.

Is this a cause for concern or normal? Experts I need your help

LINK: www.spaceweather.com...

SPACE WEATHER
Current conditions
Solar wind
speed: 366.4 km/sec
density: 41.6 protons/cm3

Here is a link to a graph of recent activity: www.swpc.noaa.gov...

(Edited to add link to graph)

[edit on 23/8/10 by boo1981]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
SPACE WEATHER
Current conditions
Solar wind
speed: 369.4 km/sec
density: 57.3 protons/cm3.

Its now shot up again

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
And again...

SPACE WEATHER
Current conditions
Solar wind
speed: 368.0 km/sec
density: 65.9 protons/cm3

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

I dont know what any of this means but i findit VERY interesting, good work

Maybe were heading for that really dangerous solar activity the 'scientists' were reporting earlier in the year

edit: S+F for you my friend

[edit on 23-8-2010 by moosevernel]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by moosevernel

Thank you, it is quite interesting. I must say that i have never seen proton density this high. I wish i knew more science stuff so i could understand all that data!

SPACE WEATHER
Current conditions
Solar wind
speed: 367.1 km/sec
density: 79.8 protons/cm3

(Edit: to add current conditions.)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

so do i, which is why i am going to be doing a physics a level at college this year with a view to doing an astrophysics degree at uni, so i may be able to help in say....5 years time

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by moosevernel

Good for you

I would love to become a scientist of some sort. Maybe when both my children are in full time education i will get the ball rolling.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

thats exactly why i am doing it now, i always wanted to be a scientist of some sort myself but thought it was always out of reach of someone like me, but then i thought, 'why not!!'

anyway back on topic....keep us posted if you find anymore news on this solar activity

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Ive just had a look on another site, solar cycle 24

Here it gives you some information about solar flares and protons.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
A few weeks ago a teenager posted some comments made from his mother about a man she visited as a nurse. This man was ex-military and was talking about 2012 as being a trying time because of a massive proton storm. They seemed to know about it several decades ago.

Now I am wondering at what point the amount of protons coming our way is dangerous.

Let's keep an eye on this one.

btw, I am a UNI grad, good luck to you boo.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The current low speed, high density solar wind we are now experiencing is probably a result of activity from the equatorial region of the Sun interacting with the high speed wind from the coronal holes. It's a bit unusual but proton density can exceed 100.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the density start declining and the velocity increasing over the next few hours. Just a guess.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

At last, thank you Phage, i was in two mind weather or not to u2u you about this as i know you know your stuff.

Ive been watching this all day and the solar winds have been slowly going up, but the proton density had been yoyoing throughtout the day. But has shot up in the last few hours.

EDIT:
Yes you are right about it declining, its dropped quite a bit but solar wind is increasing.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This is a nice article, if you want to read it. It is called "Solar Storm Threat Analysis" if the link is not good !

docs.google.com...:Kd845PJcmjEJ:www.breadandbutterscience.com/SSTA.pdf+solar+proton+storm+danger%3F&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=AD GEESgaFkJJiK-xyfqjtuOIosnsr9BQO-rjIk8dKpK7ue_-gojTKpW4ovMSl5BXl9Nc0MuG2q0jEf-i6RZz8yUcSscQTByCoOUK-y7kQEIumxqyL36A8OV1zBIe-_dUI-0kuB7CIxJ2&sig=AHIEtbR xF6CGmSYIeqWa6eK7ubGjLnDeGw

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

I'd be watching the Bz component at this point. If it takes a southward turn it could cause some geomagnetic activity.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I should also point out that the protons being counted are low energy protons, just a normal part of the solar wind. The protons which make up what is known as a proton storm are a different animal, very high energy particles which can be traveling at half the speed of light.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you for educating me. I am just starting to get my head round all this solar activity stuff and how things work. Its alot to take in but im making progress.

I have taken a look at the explanation for the Bz.

Southward Bz's often herald widespread auroras, triggered by solar wind gusts or coronal mass ejections that are able to inject energy into our planet's magnetosphere.

LINK: spaceweather.com...

(Edit to add link.)

The current Bz is south.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

And the magnetometers are reacting.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It seems that you were right. The proton density declined and the solar winds picked up.

AURORA ALERT: A solar wind stream is buffeting Earth's magnetic field and causing geomagnetic activity around the poles.

LINK: www.spaceweather.com...

new topics

top topics

join