It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia: Incredible Color Pictures From A Century Ago

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Amazing photos. I am still in disbelief. I keep scanning the pictures saying to myself I know there is a car some where.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
These pictures are the most fascinating thing I've seen in a long time. TY OP!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

A really great find!! Top marks for the posting!!

Cheers for that

edit on 21/9/10 by andronaconda because: It's early and my fingers aren't working properly!!

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Go good.
So old time.
They use giant cameras years ago.
Perhaps that is why the picture is so clear.
Now we use spy satellite camera techniques for making
integrated circuits for the nano2 but we do have HDTV.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
For me it's not as amazing to me how clear these photos are (although they are clear),
but rather the method the photographer used to get color prints from black-and-white film.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Those are the coolest pictures i've seen in a while - hundreds of years old huh - thats sweet

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It really gives you an impression of what it would like to live in they days... sitting around looking miserable waiting for the internet to be invented.

Seriously though some of them are quite haunting really makes them look like real people with real lives that lived for many years after they photos were taken.

I actually used to colour B&W photos but I did it by hand:

Original old pic of my grandad and dad

One that I coloured

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
S&F lovely link ty

Im always interested in old colour pics and these are lovely

really really well done but the pics arent original pure colour shots

I think they were colour shots that have been enhanced which is a shame. I'd love to see the originals because these pics have been tampered with and not too cleverly

edit on 1-2-2011 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
S&F lovely link ty

Im always interested in old colour pics and these are lovely

really really well done but the pics arent original pure colour shots

I think they were colour shots that have been enhanced which is a shame. I'd love to see the originals because these pics have been tampered with and not too cleverly

edit on 1-2-2011 by Versa because: (no reason given)

They ARE real color -- but taken with a black-and-white film. It's really quite an ingenious process that was used to create the color. The OP has a good explanation of the process, but in a nutshell, here is how they did it...

Each image is built from three separate black-and-white pictures, each one taken through one of three filers -- a red filter, and blue filter, and a yellow filter. Each of these filtered images would yield black-and-white images that would each have a slightly different grayscale look, because of the filters -- i.e., the black-and-white image taken through the blue filter will have different intensities of black-and-white than the ones shot through the red or yellow filter.

The photographer would then take transparencies of all three of these gray-scale images and project them together through all three color filters. The result is what you see.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I forgot to add to my post above that this is the came "basic" concept used by most digital cameras. The actual light sensor (CCD) in a digital camera is color-blind. It can only "detect" shades of gray. When you take a picture with your digital camera, the light is sent through different color filters (different wavelengths) before striking the CCD, giving the CCD information about the image in various shades of gray as seen through the different filters.

The camera's computer then takes over, and uses those shades of gray to try to determine what the color is actually supposed to be. This all happens very quickly, and all we ever see is the color picture -- albeit a color picture created by the camera's computer based on multiple gray-scale images.

That's why the "raw" pictures from the Mars Rovers are in black-and-white. Instead of the rover itself using the various gray-scale images (as seen through different filters in the Rover's camera) to build a color image inside the rover itself, the gray-scale images are sent back to Earth to allow the imaging scientists on Earth to build those color images. The reason for this is that there is valuable information in those multiple gray-scale pictures that can be lost when they are compiled into a single color image.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Thanks for the input, it's some pretty interesting stuff that you're talking about. I'm actually learning something for a change

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Beautiful Photographs. I have a rare 1957 Russian book titled Mockba. It's in Russian and has pages of photographic plates of Moscow during that period. It beggars belief how idealised and stylized they are in their representation of the public and public places.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join