It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia: Incredible Color Pictures From A Century Ago

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Thanks for that interesting information, it's nice to get some information on how cameras work as an addition to this thread. Starred!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Those pictures are absolutely fantastic! I have always enjoyed looking at old pictures, to see glimpses into times past, but these in color are astounding! A few months ago I saw an article about Brian May, from the rock group Queen, he has a collection of stereograph pictures of old England that are also very cool. He's put them out in a book, but as far as I can tell it's been sold out for some time now. It even comes with a stereograph viewer that he invented for it.

Anyway, thanks for the post, I really enjoyed it!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Wow, these are really great. This type of post is a nice alternative to the normal doom & gloom posts that dominate ATS. Merci beaucoup!

And upon close inspection of the following picture, I noticed that Bigfoot, rather "Alma" (Russian for Bigfoot), made an appearance!

This guy obviously wasn't camera-shy back in the 1900's. I wonder why he's so elusive nowadays? LOL

Have a look:

Pz & thanks again mate!

[edit on 23-8-2010 by susp3kt]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
pics are great.

thanks for posting.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The good quality of the Picture is because the photographer used glasplates
back then i think and glas lasts longer than paper.

(source: Link from thread-starters link "Russia in Color a century ago")
source:
"Collected here are a few of the hundreds of color images made available by the Library of Congress, which purchased the original glass plates back in 1948"

I extracted 34 Pictures from the site and made a zip-file out of it.
For those interrested in these, feel free to download them here.
34 Pictures Download-Link (11MB)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

I have to say, nice observation!

But to me, that might arguably even look like donkey kong sitting on a branch
Man, what a find!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

seems to me its just a woman picking berrys or is gathering other stuff
from the bushes growing there.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
And your proof that these images are 100 yrs old is???

Despite the very obvious evidence, some of us here are not complete idiots.

Small ask - proof, evidence, supporting data.

Or are you just trying to prove a point as to how gullible the ATS community is?
If so, then job done.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Those pictures do look like they were taken a few days ago. We as a people always get history and past time confused in black and white, when in reality if you went back centuries ago you would have seen the world just how you see it today, in color.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Looks like now....

The only thing different is the guy in that photo does look out of place. Posture looks F'ed up? But those towns look amazing.

Good find.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ommadawn

Just look at the pictures, look at that city, look at the people, that's the real thing... this is not fake.

If it is fake, it's verry well done, but I can't believe that...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

reply to post by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO

Yeah, I'm sure this anomaly is explainable as something mundane. I posted that jokingly, but it doesn't appear to be a camera artifact. There is something lurking back there!

Yeti sez RAWR! LOLOL.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by susp3kt]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Awesome pictures

I visited Russian in 1993 and in my travels thru the country, even at that time, the pictures you present look like some of the little villages I traveled thru. No running water or electricity and absolute untouched beauty.

Many of the clothing I see in these pictures, I remember seeing them being sold at many of the street markets I visited.

Thanks for sharing! I have a place in my heart for Russia and its people!

[edit on August 23rd 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Fascinating, and fascinating x34!!!

Great photos. Thank you for finding these and sharing.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
WOW! These really are fantastic pictures! Is this evidence of colour technology even in those times or is this some new technology which enables us to add colour? Again though, this is an amazing thread._javascript:icon('
')

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Incredible photos..I wonder what a photo taken today would look like of the same site. I love the small church, and the self portrait is truly unique. What does that same region look like now I wonder?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
absolutly astounding that these pictures were taken a hundred years ago....just amazing thanks for sharing

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I had to star and flag this thread that showcases these extraordinary pictures.

I love how ''real'' the photographs look, how innovative Mr. Prokudin-Gorskii was with his photographic methods, and how recent the past actually appears to be, if you know what I mean.

As someone of limited photographic expertise, I'll still ask:
Does anyone think that there's a possibility in the future that some old black and white photographs or films can be re-coloured to have similarly accurate colours as these photos have ?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
just sadly, no pics with Winter time & other seasons, only Summer
Summer is so illusory period in Russia
thanks for sharing

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Amazing pictures! 100 years ago!

Why is nobody smiling!? I guess they didn't learn to smile for the camera yet, nobody knew to say "cheese!" haha

Anyway these pictures really focus on how real these people were, we always think of history and the past in such a way that we forget how real it all really was, I wish there were more pictures like this from all over the world.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join