It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.Korea Unveils New Battle Tank

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Intelligence authorities are analyzing footage of a new battle tank shown on North Korean state TV recently. So far the existence of the "Pokpung" (Storm) had only been a rumor.

A South Korean military source on Monday said the Pokpung appears to be an improved version of the North Korean Army's previous model "Chonma" (Flying Horse) in terms of firepower and maneuverability

english.chosun.com...

Here is some more propaganda from N. Korea. The article says that these tanks have been manufactured since the 1990s but have only been deployed in special units.

The N. Korean army has about 3900 tanks compared to S. Korea's 2300 but S. Korea's tanks are supposedly of much better quality.

With the future transfer of power that is for sure to happen in N. Korea, I think that N. Korea will continue to flex it's muscles and try to intimidate S. Korea. What I don't understand is, why are these two countries still living in the past? I guess it's not much better than the U.S. or U.K. but come on already it's 2010.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
America - "We have major ACC's equipped with multiple jets and modernly-armed soldiers in your seas..."

NK - "Yeah well.. We have new battles tanks, we've had them for years.. but we only use them on special occasions.."

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

And on top of it all these "new tanks" are pretty much just modernized old Russian tanks. N. Korea is silly

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
yea, well...my slingshot it better than yours!
Sorry, I had to throw that in there.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Looks like a T-72 to me.

I know they claim it's based on the T-62, but check out the photos of the T-72 series.
en.wikipedia.org...

It looks like a huge waste of money though. (Just like everyone else's weaponry).

Meanwhile, people starve and live in poverty.

Who is our governments looking out for anyways? The military corporations pocketbook, or the people? Should be pretty obvious.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Probably not trying to be intimidating although it's a bonus, just trying to make their people feel secure and safe underneath the "Dear Ruler".

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
From what I have seen it seems to just be another modified variant of their T-62 copies, nothing to worry about...just more dessert for our tanks and aircraft if they do somethingtupid. Hell their laser rangefinders still look like 60-70s technology.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
they'd break ranks for a taco truck-
put up a string of ft.mcwalmarts with store credit for all weapons turned in.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by p51mustang]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Where does a country like this get money?
what do they have for a resource?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

*yawn*

Looks like a souped up T-72 tank, like most of the 3rd world army's tanks.

Wake me up when they come up with somthing cool like the Merkava.

Edit to add:

One of the big new features they're bragging about is a new infrared spotlight.

Puuuleeeasse! don't make me laugh.

Any tanker who would jump into a tank with a spotlight must have a death wish.

Might as well paint a big neon bullseye on that sucker.

S&F for providing me with a good laugh.

[edit on 8/17/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
they just need some money for gas.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
It's not even a T-72. It's a lengthened, upgraded T-62 with an extra road wheel.

A T-62 limo, as it were.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Wonder how it'd stand up against AWACS and guided munitions?

2nd.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I am kinda disappointed in NKs new tank,I was hoping it would look like a soviet Apocalypse Tank from Command and Conquer

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Of course, we don't know if they made some internal changes to it. But this is a disapointment, i wanted to see T-90 clone.

Well, even T-72 clone would have been better than this...

edit on 10-10-2010 by Alvar because: spelling

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Just as this is announced....this goes missing?
SPACE PLANE GOES MISSING: The US Air Force's X-37B space plane has gone missing. Amateur satellite watchers who routinely monitor the secret mini-shuttle failed to sight it at expected times on Oct. 7th and 9th. It's possible that the X-37B has landed. More likely, the space plane has maneuvered into a new orbit and will be recovered again in the nights ahead. Stay tuned for updates
Spaceweather.com. That's not the only interesting article either.

I smell conflict big time

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
i bet it won't withstand a nuke.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Just because it has a T-72 chassis means there is something wrong with it? Maybe people need to stop judging the capabilities of the T-72 based on the "T-72s" that Iraq used to defend themselves with against Americans.

It doesn't really matter if it's T-72, if it has modernized capabilities like night vision and thermal imaging or ATGMs or laser designators then it is capable. If it kills it kills.

And this is even considering if it is T-72, which it probably isn't.
edit on 10-10-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
It's clearly upgraded T-55/62. Look at the drivers seat, in T-64/72/80 driver sits in middle of the hull.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I wonder how many cooking pots they had to "liberate" to make 250 of them.

My guess is that a North Korean tank crew would give you one in exchange for a kilo of rice.

<<   2 >>

join