It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civility, decorum and the Aliens and UFO Forum

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Do you report these personal attacks via Alert, or respond to them within a thread? Maybe what you see as "satire sarcasm and humor" are being misinterpreted? You might think you're being funny, and someone takes it as a personal attack. Yes, we do try to stay on top of it to the best of our ability. Regardless of the instigator or the target. It does admittedly sometimes get a little tedious dealing with the same people over the same things continually, especially when the person is continually creating the problem then looks for help in fixing it.

It isn't hard. Grade schoolers manage civility with some regularity. We're not here to teach civility, that's a basic requirement for participation. You're free to disagree, but compliance with the requirement isn't optional.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It's clear myself and many other sceptics are no longer welcome on ATS by members and mods.
Fine

It's been fun, but it's over now.
The ATS purge is sucessful. Bye!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
Folks, I've heard from more than one member that is pretty much fed up.
I am too. I've been a member for quite a while, but am losing interest. What's the point?
All Springer is saying is "don't cause problems". I understand why, and I don't blame him.
BUT, understand this! ATS is a commercial money making enterprise. Fine no problem. But being what it is, it's no different than a TV network running Dancing With the Stars. If people watch it, they make money from adverstising, more hits to ATS the more ATS makes from advertising. Get it?
ATS is not clamoring for QUALITY, but simply for ORDER. Quality or intelligence might have mattered once, but no longer.It seems anything is swallowed hook line and sinker in certain Forums, with the tacit support of the site. There are , in practice, low to no standards. I've been told by more than one poster that it's more important to be nice to people than it is to discern facts! That's all ATS requires nowdays. BEING NICE!

It was great while it lasted, but it's going fast. Nothing can be done. I don't consider this to be cynical, but realistic.
All things evolve.

Dagger I do have to agree with you. Everyone here are
really performing monkeys unbeknownst to them!

Surprise!!!!!!

Oh yes you are! You do the work and they get paid!
What a deal eh?

You can fight ignorance by making your own video on You Tube
and in conjunction be your own boss over your own channel!
You hit a certain mark of views the advertising people do
approach you on You Tube and you can make money.

With the influx of the so-called "believers", and I can tell you
there are more of them than there are of "skeptics" well it
is very easy to see who they "ATS" are now catering to.

I don't buy everything people are selling no matter how they
wrap it in pretty paper and bows. You can wrap BS and it
still smells like BS although good marketing and the majority
of sheeple buy it!

I have already put my application for "walking papers" in
and I am waiting to be taken off ATS! As a matter of fact I asked
months ago to be taken off and was told simple not to sign in.

I don't care how ATS gets rid of me....just do it!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Skeptics are more than welcome. A lot of people would call Phage a skeptic and he does fairly well. 236 staff applauses, in fact. Everyone has the ability to decide to stay and participate within the guidelines or not.

edit on 10/28/2010 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

people here are delusional ...

Well, thats must include you too, of course.

edit on 28-10-2010 by RUSSO because: add

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by KIZZZY
I have already put my application for "walking papers" in
and I am waiting to be taken off ATS! As a matter of fact I asked
months ago to be taken off and was told simple not to sign in.

I don't care how ATS gets rid of me....just do it!

Why should the responsibility of your participation here, or the lack thereof, fall on the shoulders of ATS, staff, etc.?

If the site no longer interests you, if the site no longer appeals to you ... merely log out, go elsewhere, whatever.

Honestly, how much simpler could it possibly be?

OR, as is typically the case in these type situations, is there some sort of desire for a token "badge of honor", if you will, that one can carry with them on their way out the door?
See. See. Look what they done to me
- like.

It's a site on the internet. The Internet, where the EXIT sign is Always but a mere mouse click away.

If I go to a restaurant and the menu or fare are over priced and/or not up to par, I leave and don't return.

It's that simple.

I certainly don't keep going back merely and solely to complain about the same.

Then again, apparently some people make it a point or their purpose in life to do just that.

No matter that it makes about as much sense as...

... Yeah. I already know the food sucks, but could you give me an Aliens & UFOs sampler platter with a side of fried Skunk Works and an extra-large Gray Area shake? ... better make it To-Go, since I won't be sticking around.

I've already completed the customer service BB&Q post questionnaire stating how the food sucks, the service leaves much to be desired, and the staff seem about as competent as a bunch of monkeys trying to do a football...

... by the way ... Is My Order Ready Yet!?

wash-rinse-repeat

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Give your lip service to someone else PERIOD!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Give your lip service to someone else PERIOD!

Lip service or perhaps Sage advice/Rational thought?

I'll leave that for others to decide for themselves. Thank you very much.

FWIW:

The Topic of this discussion thread is Civility, decorum and the Aliens and UFO Forum

... which will be maintained and adhered to from this point going forward.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

You heard what I said.........pay your lip service to someone else....

You want to boss someone around...buy a dog!

I am outta this place!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Awwww...comon guys (and girls)...yes, it is a shame that so many silly types are here to muck up the factual research and legitimate debates that "also" happen here...but in the end, those people are still "hoaxers, scammers, ignorant or crazy" (not naming people or pointing fingers)...truth be told, those types never win, even if they huddle around each other to form a "silly army".

I'm not a skeptic...
I'm not a believer...

Both those titles are stupid and forced on us all, or worse- adopted out of some need to fit into a camp.

Alls we need to do is be civil and then we can battle it out in the forums.

Yes, there are mistakes and overlooked cases where people got away with calling someone something nasty or whatnot, but over all it isn't so bad.

Ok...yeh...we have a recent influx of "lofty types" who don't care about facts or truth....but so what? It is fine if their numbers grow...those of us who combat "that type of crap" are STILL in the right, and STILL the heroes of ATS (and the thinking world).

Just because their numbers have tripled (or worse), dosn't relieve ANY OF YOU from your duty here...we are here to destroy lies, deny ignorance and shed light on truth.

Don't you understand? They can hide behind the "rules of civil behavior" and bait us all in to snapping on thier stupidity...that doesn't mean we get to "give up" and let them have ATS.

No way...

Yes we must be polite...yes it isn't always easy...but we can't just let liars/hoaxers/jokers/delusionals/etc "g unchallenged" here on ATS...

You can all leave if you think that is your duty...but I am telling you- "if you have used ATS too spread truth", then YOU are STILL NEEDED here, and YOU can't just "give up" because some "lofty types" enjoy the same protection from abuse that we all share.

I dunno...conspiracy is getting bigger and bigger, Its becoming the #1 genre of all media...meaning thousands of people will be joining here soon...and if you are not here to help them see "the truth behind these subjects", then you may as well hand-feed them to the hoaxers and crazies...

I say ATS needs you...

You are free to disagree (but not really).

MM

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

You want to boss someone around...buy a dog!

No one here is looking to "boss someone around". ?
?

This site and the Terms & Conditions agreed to by all are merely focused towards promoting civil discourse and decorum whilst discussing the entire gamut of alternative topics and subjects Interested minds wish to confer upon amidst those with like-kind interests and desires.

That's all. Nothing more. Nothing less.

If that's not your bag of tricks, I'm quite certain there are a multitude of other venues readily available which might better serve, suit one's "needs" and/or "desires". Try one.

I am outta this place!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Again............pay your lip service to someone else!

I abhor harpies!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Again............pay your lip service to someone else!

I abhor harpies!

I'm confused why you call what he said lip service...emphasizing the rules on this board is just that..rules. You're upset because you're not being BANNED? (as in, removed from the site) You are patiently awaiting the MODS to ban you then, is that what I'm hearing? You can't just leave? You've said bye....but you're still here.

edit on 28-10-2010 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by KIZZZY

I am outta this place!

... and yet, Still, here we are.

I can't help but be reminded of when the kids used to Declare they'd "hold their breathe" 'til Jeanie and I gave in to their demands...

Oh, the good ole' days
... they're all grown up now, though.

One a nurse, the other in college - elementary education major, and even the boi (16) is quite capable of conducting himself in a reasonable, calm and civil fashion whilst in public or direct conversation(s).

Have it as you will. The choice is yours ... as it is for All of us.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

12m8keall2c.....

This site and the Terms & Conditions agreed to by all are merely focused towards promoting civil discourse and decorum whilst discussing the entire gamut of alternative topics and subjects Interested minds wish to confer upon amidst those with like-kind interests and desires.
That's all. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Well my very dedicated, diligent friend (& I mean that
) .....

It's not working.

The moderation has become unacceptable.

In one recent thread…..

- I was sworn at on a number occasions

- Fart videos were posted at me

- Vomiting symbols were posted at me

- I was called a Neanderthal

- I was called a liar

- I was called a moron

- I was called a snake

- I was called a terrorist

- I was called a hater

- I was called a handicapped person

- I was called a heckler

- I was called a disinfo agent, etc...

Result…..nothing.

In another recent thread I was attacked for most of a 2-page block, subsequent to a series of other less than polite member posts leading up to that......to which I made no response in the interest of not inflaming the discussion any further.

Result…..nothing

And then…..

I make one minor transgression (i.e. I make a comment that a known YouTube hoaxer is a “hoaxing idiot”....nothing was aimed at a member) & I get slammed by one of the owners.

How is that a balanced outcome?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

edit on 28-10-2010 by Maybe...maybe not because: Clarification

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

You have a penchant for the last word eh?

Pay you lip service to someone else!

Badgers!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

i totally agree with you mmn, very similar thing happened to me too, although im not going to get into it on the board because i have already discussed it privately with the staff.

but yes i agree the moderation seems to be extremely lop sided.

thanks

rich

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Firstly - maybe a U2U to the staff member in question asking them to clarify the issue for you might be in order?

Secondly - Its not about "balanced outcomes".

Its about personal responsibility.

A Intrepid once put it YOU are responsible for your posts

So, while you may have been goaded, you did not have to react.

Its also about making the staff aware of what is going on, as we can't be everywhere, all the time, on a board the size of ATS. You clue us in to abuse, and we'll do what we can.

And if no apparent action is taken, thats because either the staff did not view the alert as a T&C Violation, or a U2U was sent to the member in question reminding them of the T&C's. There are many different ways to reach out and remind someone of them, and they don't all end up in a post removal.

I'm sure you are aware that we do not - ever - discuss moderator actions on threads because they are between the staff and the individual in question.

Thirdly, confucious, he say, "if you poke about in a snake pit you get bitten from time to time".
Sometimes things, and reactions, simply go with the territory and the nature of the subjects being discussed.

Hope that helps

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Please U2U links to the alerted posts.

Am on nearly all day and don't recall having seen either the posts nor alerted complaints regarding such ... if they are as you allude to they'll be addressed and handled according to the relevant aspects of the T&C members agreed to.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Neformore.....

Thank you for replying.

It seems that based on our interactions on ATS Live (which I've enjoyed very much), we share some similar opinions on all of this.

It was my intention to “buy out” of all of this & simply monitor the forum & see what transpires.

However, I will respond to you & I want to give my response some thought.

This discussion is going to get complex, so I feel I should not be flippant & rush it.

Thanks again, Neformore…..I will get back to you.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join