It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civility, decorum and the Aliens and UFO Forum

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

star & flagged that thread.

thanks for the invite & link.

curious, is there a member by the name of Sherlock Holmes?
are you guys friends, yet?

Keep on ATSing m0r1arty,
et

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Esoteric Teacher.....

LET THE MODS ENJOY THEIR ATS, TOO!!!

You know.....I think many members should give more consideration to this.

Without the excellent moderation of our Mods, ATS would simply fall back into the swamp that comprises the majority of discussion sites out there.

I must say.....several weeks ago I witnessed an appalling member bash-up of greeneyedleo in a UFO thread. If I'd been in charge, I would have smashed the lot of them.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

I must say.....several weeks ago I witnessed an appalling member bash-up of greeneyedleo in a UFO thread. If I'd been in charge, I would have smashed the lot of them.

u2u me a link, although i think i may know what thread you speak of, i would like to revisit that.

i read some posts, and how some people address fellow ATSers here sometimes, and i think to myself (really) that no one has spoken like that to my face in person since junior high back in the mid 80s.

your posts can sometimes be direct, but you are not rude about it.

i try to have a general rule of thumb:

if i wouldn't talk to someone's face in person in such a manner, i probably shouldn't be doing it here on our ATS.

people communicate many ways. here we don't have the luxury of: looking someone in the eye when we speak
there is no body language during communication
we don't usually know the age of the member
we don't know what the member looks like
we can't hear a members tone of voice
we can't see their facial expressions
we don't know if they are laughing
see? i didn't really laugh there.
we don't know if they are crying

and with these "voids" in communication, we often let our imaginations fill in the blanks, when we should just be focussing on our words, our ideas, our concepts, and references, sources, keeping ATS fun, and making sure we are doing what we can to ensure the mods are enjoying their ATS, too.

I'm almost ashamed to tell you this, cuz i gots da respect 4 u, but.....
Maybe...maybe not,
i've read many of your posts. And i think there may be a few things we disagree on, but i just haven't bumped heads with ya about them.

sure we've had some dialogue between us, that is for sure, but i have yet to disagree with you on something overtly. And the things i did disagree with you about were sorta petty viewpoints that may not amount to much after the big picture is made available to us, anyways.

is that avatar you? ever think about modeling?

keep ATS fun Maybe (& you do),
et

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Esoteric Teacher.....

Yeah I know.....

I guess I shouldn't have said that "I'd smash the lot of them", but I abhore that sort of bullying behaviour, particularly when it is done in the knowledge the Mod has to be civilised & polite when responding.

Regarding the pic.....

According to my teenage daughters, I share many problems with that guy!

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

I saw that and it ticked me off too. GEL is an excellent debunker and I always look forward to what she has to say. She can spot a "doctored up" photo a mile away.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

I saw that and it ticked me off too. GEL is an excellent debunker and I always look forward to what she has to say. She can spot a "doctored up" photo a mile away.

Ladyinwaiting.....

I gotta be hopeless.....

When Esoteric Teacher asked me for the link, I looked through the thread again & got all p'd off again! I gotta relax!

But you know.....

That thread is a perfect example of how some members wouldn't know "civility & decorum" if they fell over it.

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

When Esoteric Teacher asked me for the link, I looked through the thread again & got all p'd off again! I gotta relax!

But you know.....

That thread is a perfect example of how some members wouldn't know "civility & decorum" if they fell over it.

i read through parts of that again, and had some of the same thoughts.

these people sometimes do it for attention. i think i may oblige their wishes, visit their recent posts, and go read and respond accordingly.

i sometimes do this, and usually do not have follow up occurances of the same nature with such members. they will be less apt to attack you personally, disregarding topics, if you follow them around for a awhile and research their topic and add additional references and sources for their threads, or respond to their rude posts where they post inane belittling comments about other posters.

curious thing, some of the posters who ganged up on GEL in that thread also seemed to have shared rude thoughts (imo) in posts against other members/mods also.

sometimes it is just their trend, and they bring their frustrations and attitude to ATS to vent, i'm thinking.

ignoring them doesn't always produce favorable outcomes.
engaging them in rhetorical combat does.

Maybe,
for your sake, and mine, and theirs, i'm very glad that ATS is not a Full Combat Sport.

Thanks for choosing to be who it is you are and do what it is you do,
et

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
ATS Team:

To my mind.....

This thread demonstrates how a positive, informative discussion can be achieved about a significant UFO case, despite some pretty strong differences of opinion.

Rising Against's Fantastic Rendlesham Thread

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Pleiadians and the nwo deception!

New modus operandi for illuminati, pose as pleiadian et and gain control over humanity, they will send humans from mars and moon bases as pleidians and Claim to awaken us spiritually.
The Pleiadian Plan is however the last resort for the Illuminati,they know people are awakening to their deception, they have crushed the Restore America Plan anyway.

I know the greys exist for sure, but the pleidian stuff is NWO engineered. No wonder you tube is abuzz all of a sudden with pleiadian horse# created by NWO slaves. Please do not fall for the trap.

They wan't to control us using pleiadians name and portray us as their hybrid decendents. Spread the truth people. say no to illuminati control, spread free energy info for as long as they control our energy they control us, no matter which alien force comes never compromise your free will.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tribble
This is the third thread that I have been to regarding civility and baiting the other guy into a sword fight. I have witnessed those who enjoy this conduct and or the challenge. They dance on the razors edge of name calling or straight out belittling the other member- with delight.

They do not break the "site agreement" as they know the boundaries very well. This consumes a minimum of two pages, if not five, of the thread.

It's almost everywhere I look, and this bantering by these two have driven off anyone remotely interested commenting on the OP!

So you take a teen or new member who sees this, and reads this unique show of wills or sword fight- I think you end up with "monkey see, monkey do"...

...or the new member just ups and walks right out the door without wanting to get acquainted at all because of the extreme negativity created by what you have just described. That's what I did. Came in, got interested in a few threads which got instantly jumped on by the 'self-appointed hoax police," which derailed the whole discussion into a near court battle to produce proof, and on and on and on and on. No, I didn't stay, nor did I post my honest queries for fear of inflaming the situation and being jumped on for my curiosity.

I came back here today in hopes that the atmosphere had improved, but I see it hasn't really--even this thread has a thick layer of negativity running through it that wasn't intended by the OP. I'm expecting that even this post will receive some sort of attack for my viewpoint, and I'm sorry--that is not an atmosphere of friendship and learning, tolerance of differences, compassion, or anything positive. It is negative, and does no good for anyone.

If you don't agree with what someone says, it is totally unproductive to ridicule and scorn. What are you trying to prove with that ridicule and scorn, anyway? That everyone *should* be like you or shunned, belittled, driven away? That's what I got out of coming here--an ear full, and eye full and a mind full of negativity projected by these over-zealous self-appointed debunkers that I could well have done without.

I'm going to read the rest of this thread and look around the site while I'm here tonight and if the atmosphere is the same as I remember it, I won't be back--there are more positive places to be.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
And.....

It just happened again.....

Upon reading a new thread for the first time, I found I was getting targeted "in case" I joined the thread!

This important point is very relevant within the 3 different discussions currently active pertaining to this topic.

The point is that it has got to the stage where preemptive attacks are being made on members BEFORE they even join a thread.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 28-8-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Nicely said Cuhail

I've noticed this more and more, particularly in the UFO forum, and it's damned annoying to have a thread derailed like this.

If you think the information contained within a topic comes from a source you dislike, distrust, or just plain abhor... fine, say so... but PLEASE then either discuss the actual information, or go away... DON'T derail a topic with post after post about how much you hate/distrust the source.

Star for you ...and S&F for the thread.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Nooooooooo! She my fwend.

There's good and there's bad in EVERYTHING. Mods, members, and everything included, some always, some sometimes, and some occassionaly. Warts and all, we've just got to keep doin' what we're doin' and do it well.

They built it, they will come.

Mmmmmmm, fodder.......

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
We grow fast, and the year 2012 is near, either we will be surprised or he will shake us shocked

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I found this on another forum and I didn't want to make a new thread here as I'm not sure where would it belong. Still, it touches the part of trolling so this something everybody should know. Feel free to move it to the right section if so you desire.

COINTELPRO Techniques for dilution, misdirection and control of a internet forum
Technique #1 - 'FORUM SLIDING'

If a very sensitive posting of a critical nature has been posted on a forum - it can be quickly removed from public view by 'forum sliding.' In this technique a number of unrelated posts are quietly prepositioned on the forum and allowed to 'age.' Each of these misdirectional forum postings can then be called upon at will to trigger a 'forum slide.' The second requirement is that several fake accounts exist, which can be called upon, to ensure that this technique is not exposed to the public. To trigger a 'forum slide' and 'flush' the critical post out of public view it is simply a matter of logging into each account both real and fake and then 'replying' to prepositined postings with a simple 1 or 2 line comment. This brings the unrelated postings to the top of the forum list, and the critical posting 'slides' down the front page, and quickly out of public view. Although it is difficult or impossible to censor the posting it is now lost in a sea of unrelated and unuseful postings. By this means it becomes effective to keep the readers of the forum reading unrelated and non-issue items.

Technique #2 - 'CONSENSUS CRACKING'

A second highly effective technique is 'consensus cracking.' To develop a consensus crack, the following technique is used. Under the guise of a fake account a posting is made which looks legitimate and is towards the truth is made - but the critical point is that it has a VERY WEAK PREMISE without substantive proof to back the posting. Once this is done then under alternative fake accounts a very strong position in your favour is slowly introduced over the life of the posting. It is IMPERATIVE that both sides are initially presented, so the uninformed reader cannot determine which side is the truth. As postings and replies are made the stronger 'evidence' or disinformation in your favour is slowly 'seeded in.' Thus the uninformed reader will most like develop the same position as you, and if their position is against you their opposition to your posting will be most likely dropped. However in some cases where the forum members are highly educated and can counter your disinformation with real facts and linked postings, you can then 'abort' the consensus cracking by initiating a 'forum slide.'

Technique #3 - 'TOPIC DILUTION'

Topic dilution is not only effective in forum sliding it is also very useful in keeping the forum readers on unrelated and non-productive issues. This is a critical and useful technique to cause a 'RESOURCE BURN.' By implementing continual and non-related postings that distract and disrupt (trolling ) the forum readers they are more effectively stopped from anything of any real productivity. If the intensity of gradual dilution is intense enough, the readers will effectively stop researching and simply slip into a 'gossip mode.' In this state they can be more easily misdirected away from facts towards uninformed conjecture and opinion. The less informed they are the more effective and easy it becomes to control the entire group in the direction that you would desire the group to go in. It must be stressed that a proper assessment of the psychological capabilities and levels of education is first determined of the group to determine at what level to 'drive in the wedge.' By being too far off topic too quickly it may trigger censorship by a forum moderator.

Technique #4 - 'INFORMATION COLLECTION'

Information collection is also a very effective method to determine the psychological level of the forum members, and to gather intelligence that can be used against them. In this technique in a light and positive environment a 'show you mine so me yours' posting is initiated. From the number of replies and the answers that are provided much statistical information can be gathered. An example is to post your 'favourite weapon' and then encourage other members of the forum to showcase what they have. In this matter it can be determined by reverse proration what percentage of the forum community owns a firearm, and or a illegal weapon. This same method can be used by posing as one of the form members and posting your favourite 'technique of operation.' From the replies various methods that the group utilizes can be studied and effective methods developed to stop them from their activities.

Technique #5 - 'ANGER TROLLING'

Statistically, there is always a percentage of the forum posters who are more inclined to violence. In order to determine who these individuals are, it is a requirement to present a image to the forum to deliberately incite a strong psychological reaction. From this the most violent in the group can be effectively singled out for reverse IP location and possibly local enforcement tracking. To accomplish this only requires posting a link to a video depicting a local police officer massively abusing his power against a very innocent individual. Statistically of the million or so police officers in America there is always one or two being caught abusing there powers and the taping of the activity can be then used for intelligence gathering purposes - without the requirement to 'stage' a fake abuse video. This method is extremely effective, and the more so the more abusive the video can be made to look. Sometimes it is useful to 'lead' the forum by replying to your own posting with your own statement of violent intent, and that you 'do not care what the authorities think!!' inflammation. By doing this and showing no fear it may be more effective in getting the more silent and self-disciplined violent intent members of the forum to slip and post their real intentions. This can be used later in a court of law during prosecution.

Technique #6 - 'GAINING FULL CONTROL'

It is important to also be harvesting and continually maneuvering for a forum moderator position. Once this position is obtained, the forum can then be effectively and quietly controlled by deleting unfavourable postings - and one can eventually steer the forum into complete failure and lack of interest by the general public. This is the 'ultimate victory' as the forum is no longer participated with by the general public and no longer useful in maintaining their freedoms. Depending on the level of control you can obtain, you can deliberately steer a forum into defeat by censoring postings, deleting memberships, flooding, and or accidentally taking the forum offline. By this method the forum can be quickly killed. However it is not always in the interest to kill a forum as it can be converted into a 'honey pot' gathering center to collect and misdirect newcomers and from this point be completely used for your control for your agenda purposes.

CONCLUSION

Remember these techniques are only effective if the forum participants DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THEM. Once they are aware of these techniques the operation can completely fail, and the forum can become uncontrolled. At this point other avenues must be considered such as initiating a false legal precidence to simply have the forum shut down and taken offline. This is not desirable as it then leaves the enforcement agencies unable to track the percentage of those in the population who always resist attempts for control against them. Many other techniques can be utilized and developed by the individual and as you develop further techniques of infiltration and control it is imperative to share then with HQ.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
It might help if believers would stop posting hoaxes and lies!
And posting with no evidence or proof whatsover!
And just lifting stuff off of You Tube, or posting a pic that shows just a tiny point of light on a black background.
Just some suggestions. Or wild dishonest claims of "PROOF"!!!
Oh, and calling anyone they deem a "sceptic" closed minded, ignorant, a disinfo agent or worse.
All this seems to slip by your mods.
Some standards might help. If people want serious discussion of UFO's they might start out by not assuming so much and making serious posts on the topic!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

OldDragger.....

I think it might be a lost cause.

They rolled the dices....

But they were loaded.

I'm outa here for a while.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

reply to post by OldDragger

OldDragger.....

I think it might be a lost cause.

They rolled the dices....

But they were loaded.

I'm outa here for a while.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another actual thinker driven away because he doesn't toe the line of dogma.

WELL, now the acid test! This Billymier guy.
How long are we supposed to pretend about this one? Treat him as an honored guest?
Take the obvious BS seriously. ATS is being mocked. He gets FLAGS and STARS.
Looks like floodgates are opening.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Don't take too long of a break. ATS needs folk like you. Earnest, humorous, and bright.

But I understand the need to just walk away from some of the madness -- I seriously reduced my visits here over the past couple of weeks...after the flurry of prophesies and sightings that were not really "Sightings".

It was like watching a friend suddenly lose his mind...

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join