It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.2 Earthquake: Mariana Islands Region Near Guam.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Earthquake Details

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 7.2
Date-Time

* Friday, August 13, 2010 at 21:19:32 UTC
* Saturday, August 14, 2010 at 07:19:32 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 12.409°N, 141.487°E
Depth 4.7 km (2.9 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region MARIANA ISLANDS REGION
Distances 375 km (230 miles) WSW of HAGATNA, Guam
445 km (275 miles) WSW of Rota, Northern Mariana Islands
485 km (300 miles) NE of Yap, Micronesia
550 km (340 miles) WSW of SAIPAN, Northern Mariana Islands
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 14.6 km (9.1 miles); depth +/- 5.1 km (3.2 miles)
Parameters NST=294, Nph=296, Dmin=389.6 km, Rmss=1.3 sec, Gp= 32°,
M-type=(unknown type), Version=6
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010zxcf

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Unknown on any tsunami's yet. A widespread one isnt expected, but sounds like local ones are possible for this.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
hmm thats pretty close to the surface. Any tsunami warnings in effect? It was off the coast correct? What does poorly constrained mean?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
It is pretty close to the surface. Especially for this magnitude. Poorly constrained here is a reference to insufficient data so far to give an exact depth of the quake.

SO far, a tsunami is not expected that will affect Hawaii or mainland US.

BASED ON ALL AVAILABLE DATA A DESTRUCTIVE PACIFIC-WIDE TSUNAMI IS NOT EXPECTED AND THERE IS NO TSUNAMI THREAT TO HAWAII. REPEAT. A DESTRUCTIVE PACIFIC-WIDE TSUNAMI IS NOT EXPECTED AND THERE IS NO TSUNAMI THREAT TO HAWAII.

www.weather.gov...

Sorry..that came in all caps.

The Japanese tsunami is still deciding about whether they should issue anything yet for their part of the Pacific.

The potential to generate a tsunamis is under evaluation now.

www.jma.go.jp...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
RSOE EDIS is reporting it as 20km depth, even though thay are linking to the USGS data on the quake. Unsure where they got the 20km depth data yet.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

And we just recently had a large solar flare.

I know, I know. Very soon one member of ATS (who I will not name, but everyone knows who he is) will be on here trying to debunk the whole correlation between solar flares and earthquakes, but he's wrong. Even the top scientists are now admitting (this past year) that there is much more of a link between solar flares and earthquakes than they previously realized.

I just finished listening to a long, long interview by Mitch Battros, a person who has been doing science reporting on earth changes for a long time, and HE said that even the top most scientists are now changing their views about the sun and links to earthquakes.

(Battros runs earthchangesmedia.com. He also works with the Red Cross and FEMA, too, which is how he got started.)

Battros said that Peter Nelson, one of the top 2 scientists who study the earth's core, says that there is now reliable evidence that shows that solar flares affect the earth's core, which then affect the earthquake and volcano activity.

He said that most definitely, reviewing all the latest scientific data, that solar flares ARE correlated with higher numbers and stronger earthquakes.

That same ATS member who is always trying to debunk the sun-earthquake connection always insists that the number of earthquakes has not been increasing; he says that it only LOOKS like that earthquakes are increasing, because of better reporting and more sensors. Well, Mitch Battros also debunks that, too. He said that even if you take into account the fact that we have more sensors, and better communications....the number of earthquakes are STILL increasing.

He talks all about it in his June 7th interview. You can download it if you are a streamlink member. I would embed the interview, but I don't know how.

He was also on on August 3rd, but it was a shorter interview that night. He went into much more depth on June 7th about the sun-earthquake link.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by nikiano]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
That depth is so close to the surface, and no tsunami warnings, maybe they'll update the real depth.

top topics

join