It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Anti-immigrant Movement is destined to blow up in the face of Conservatives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
In the past few years, nothing has come to the forefront of American Politics like the immigration issue. It is an issue that the conservatives have embraced and made their own. It culminated here in Arizona with S. B. 1070 that was signed into law last spring. Since then, there has been an uproar from both sides of the issue. While the intent by conservatives was to stem the flow of illegal aliens into this country across the US/Mexican border, what it will end up doing is costing Republican Conservatives their control of the state legislature, and perhaps control of all state politics in general.

You see, I live in a predominantly hispanic neighborhood in Phoenix, and the call to arms and the drive to register voters is intense to say the least. While it is a given that Arizona is the home to many illegal immigrants, it is also the home to many, many LEGAL hispanic immigrants, who are now registering to vote in the upcoming 2010 election. And they have something in common: THEY'RE PISSED!

So to those conservatives out there who seem to think that this was the right way to handle the immigration problem, just remember that come 2011 when you lose control of the State of Arizona.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Do you really think that a voting 15% minority will overcome an 85% majority? Just asking as i see nothing here.

Respectfully

Reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I don't know of a single conservative who is against immigration. In fact I support it 100%.

Illegal immigration is a different story.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
too many other people are pissed.....

midterms no threat
2012 only a threat if amnesty is ppassed

since legal and illegal hispanic make up the largest blocks of us population

link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

You need to look at the demographics more closely. Over 30% hispanic and just a tad over 50% are non-hispanic whites. And not all of that 50+% are conservative. The Democratic Party has a decent following here amongst non-hispanic whites. The addition of the hispanic vote will most likely take the numbers over the top for the Democrats this cycle. Remember, this is the state that elected Janet Napolitano to the office of Governor TWICE...

link   
reply to post by Carseller4

You are 100% correct. It seems to be a rally point that many are against immigration when they are not. We just want people to be a part of America and that requires some work. Learn our history, learn our government and LEARN OUT LANGUAGE!.

respectfully

Reluctantpawn

No iI am not a racist as I am a mixed Apache- Anglo.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

You are just one state there are 49 others. I don't see the demograghics that way across the board. If it was really that close there would have already been a majority shift. As it is you are also leaving out the black vote, while generally liberal and democratic they are starting to see that they were sold a bill of goods.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
Do you really think that a voting 15% minority will overcome an 85% majority? Just asking as i see nothing here.

Only about 37% of the population votes in a non-Presidential election year. So, a sufficiently mobilized minority could EASILY sway a congressional election.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Believe it or not, JaxonRoberts the people who have lived in America the majority of their life make up almost all the population. These people are seeing their country changing, and the vast majority don’t like the immigration when it’s already hard enough for people in America to find a job. So to say that 30% Hispanics, being almost all Democrat will defeat the will of Westernised Americans is stupid, since it’d only work if exactly 50% of Westernised people voted Demo or Rep.
All I see is America getting more divided, and it’s happening because the Liberal Elite are not only ignoring the will of the majority, but refusing to compromise with it as well. They’re irresponsible, short-termism is building up predictable problems for the next decade (no doubt the Gov’s “media masters” intend to divide-distract the public with, this predictable problem, for the next decades too.)

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
What is this "Anti-Immigration Movement" of which you speak? I haven't heard about that.

Ohhhhh...You meant the "Anti-Illegal Immigration Movement", or in other words, the "Pro-Immigration Law Enforcement Movement".

It is telling that you chose the words that Democrats are using to "fear monger" among the Hispanic immigrant populace.

Also, there are many Hispanic citizens who are not duped by the rhetoric and get the concept of illegal vs. legal immigration.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by reluctantpawn

You need to look at the demographics more closely. Over 30% hispanic and just a tad over 50% are non-hispanic whites. And not all of that 50+% are conservative. The Democratic Party has a decent following here amongst non-hispanic whites. The addition of the hispanic vote will most likely take the numbers over the top for the Democrats this cycle. Remember, this is the state that elected Janet Napolitano to the office of Governor TWICE...

Well....census disagrees with you. whites stil make up 70% of this country. sorry to disappoint.Come back in 50 years. thats the date where all the experts say white people will be functionally extinct and will be a minority in america. personally...i think us old honkies will surprise ya!

Also hispanics will still be republican. Why? because hispanics have conservative values. They are pro-life and pretty much conservative. Very catholic people.

Democrats are the party of atheists and those without values or morals.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Nofoolishness]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Exactly.

Since when has it become the "anti-immigrant" movement? That flies in the face of logic and everything this country stands for. Arizona's not going to lose their state or many votes.

In addition, since when is this a partisan issue? Illegal is illegal. Nothing simpler than that.

[edit on 8/8/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nofoolishness

We were talking about Arizona, not the country as a whole. But since you brought it up, according to Census data, by 2050 (only a mere 40 years from now) Hispanics will be the majority.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by Nofoolishness

We were talking about Arizona, not the country as a whole. But since you brought it up, according to Census data, by 2050 (only a mere 40 years from now) Hispanics will be the majority.

No hispanics will be 30% of the population. No all the other minoritys NOW will outnumber white people. But only put together can they do so. No other race will out number caucasions INDIVIDUALLY.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nofoolishness

Democrats are the party of atheists and those without values or morals.

Were you in the US between 2000 - 2008? Republicans started 2 wars (illegally and for wrongful reasons), shredded the Constitution and have turned America into a police state.
I'm not saying the Democrats are any better but in the end both parties bow to the almighty dollar, nothing more.
Values and morals left the political arena many years ago my friend.

Just wait and see what happens if Obama tries to grant amnesty to 15 million or more illegal aliens. There will be more than fecal matter flying in that event.
The Democrats have cut their own throats on the Illegal immigration issue. Any minor wins the Hispanic vote may bring them will swept away by Republican wins in the midterms.
Voter mobilization works both ways.

new topics

top topics

join