It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

subtle observation on GMOs and marketing.......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
ok-
i just went to Lucky's down the road for some fish for my friday night fish & chips when i noticed something interesting- the more expensive boxes of breaded fish had more modified food starch than the very cheapest. i also noticed the same thing with bagels- the Thomas 2/$5 plain bagels had fewer and healthier ingredients than the "deluxe sara lee" plain bagels.....same price, but "deluxe"? come on.

when safeway started carrying their own organics line i was definitely suspicious and i found out that the federal definition of "organic" is quite different than California's standards. and China, who at least used to supply Whole Foods, has no standards at all, though they label it that way to avoid inspection when exporting to the US- cause if it says "organic" it's not inspected!!

food is a funny business

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
i've been looking for you, neo.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by thaknobodi
i've been looking for you, neo.

howdy shapeshifter....i mean morph-eus

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
wait till you start observing some of the banned poisins they are trying to get back into our food.

hey think about all that florida orange juice that isnt being tested for contaminated rainwater being next to the gulf and all. probly no biggy yet, but a good hurricane will change that,

high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, sucralose, geneticaly modified seafood, geneticaly modified wheat, iodine deficiency, flouridated water, agent orange... this could go on for awhile. all these examples i can link if i wasnt so lazy.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
"Modified food starch" doesn't have anything to do with genetic modification.

Modified starch

Modified starch, starch derivatives, are prepared by physically, enzymatically, or chemically treating native starch, thereby changing the properties of the starch. Modified starches are used in practically all starch applications, such as in food products as a thickening agent, stabilizer or emulsifier; in pharmaceuticals as a disintegrant; or in paper as a binder. They are also used in many other applications.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor
"Modified food starch" doesn't have anything to do with genetic modification.

Modified starch

Modified starch, starch derivatives, are prepared by physically, enzymatically, or chemically treating native starch, thereby changing the properties of the starch. Modified starches are used in practically all starch applications, such as in food products as a thickening agent, stabilizer or emulsifier; in pharmaceuticals as a disintegrant; or in paper as a binder. They are also used in many other applications.

please clear this up for m e (i think you just tried but im too dumb)

"modified" isn't shorthand for "genetically modified"?

but still, if the natural chemical structure of it is changed then our bodes react to it differently, right?

on a side not i was just thinking how great it would be if i could control my physical reactions to food instead of trying to control what i eat. that would be some superpower.....

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye
wait till you start observing some of the banned poisins they are trying to get back into our food.

hey think about all that florida orange juice that isnt being tested for contaminated rainwater being next to the gulf and all. probly no biggy yet, but a good hurricane will change that,

high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, sucralose, geneticaly modified seafood, geneticaly modified wheat, iodine deficiency, flouridated water, agent orange... this could go on for awhile. all these examples i can link if i wasnt so lazy.

i hear that. fructose corn syrup is in just about everything and there was a thread up here recently that connected HFCS with cancer cells duplicating. wish i could say it's a population-control-conspiracy but i know it's just from corporate cheapness. perpetuating the medical/pharmaceutical industries is just an (un?)expected bonus.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IandEye
please clear this up for m e (i think you just tried but im too dumb)

"modified" isn't shorthand for "genetically modified"?

but still, if the natural chemical structure of it is changed then our bodes react to it differently, right?

on a side not i was just thinking how great it would be if i could control my physical reactions to food instead of trying to control what i eat. that would be some superpower.....
Yes, in the case of modified food starch, the "modified" part doesn't mean genetically modified. It means that traditional starch, such as that extracted from tapioca, corn, or potatoes, is treated with heat, chemicals, or some physical process to alter it.

Starch is nothing more than long strands of glucose (a simple sugar) molecules. This "modification" process alters it for a number of uses. For instance, in the presence of heat and water, starch gelatinizes. That's what makes gravy or pudding thicken. But the starch can be modified so that it's either already pregelatinized or it gelatinizes without the need for heat, so it can be used for things like instant pudding mix that thickens just with cold milk added.

And yes, I suppose you could say that "modifying" *could* change the way our bodies react to it. But it doesn't necessarily mean that. Some of the "modification" (like gelatinizing) would happen in our stomachs anyway. And of course, there's the fact that altering the "natural" structure doesn't really mean much. The simple act of cooking food "alters" the "natural structure." That doesn't mean cooking food is bad or unhealthy.

top topics

join