It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharon Angle wants press to be her friend. Calls for pre-scripted questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Republican candidate Sharon Angle to the press 'ask the questions we want to answer'

Every politician wants favorable press coverage, but rarely is one so bold as to demand it. However, such is the case in Nevada where Republican Sharon Angle is attempting to kick Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid out of office (D). Over the past month Republican senatorial candidate Sharon Angle has generally avoided all questions from the press. At a press conference called by her campaign Angle literally walked away from reporters as they attempted to ask questions. Many saw the Angle press quarantine as an effort to shield her from making public gaffes like those she made right after winning the GOP primary.

www.examiner.com... wer

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well, this is pretty straightforward...

At least she is honest. However, like most know, honesty is not always rewarded.
I know she wants to freely be able to ask for campaign contributions and such, but going so far as to make the call for pre-scripted media events is kind of ridiculous. Its one thing to expect lowball questions on certain networks, but its another thing to go out and basically ask for it. The Fox News interviewer even seemed surprised.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

The problem Angle faces is unique. The press isn't there to ask questions about her campaign. Oh no no no.

The press is there to ask her crap like:

"Do you think we should eliminate the federal government?"

"Are you in favor of secession?"

"Are you in favor of armed revolution?"

Totally insane ridiculous nonsensical questions that they use to paint her as a nut job.

Angle's positions are promoted by Ivy League Doctorates of Economics and History. Her positions are completely inline with what one would see coming out of the Austrian school.

The press isn't doing its job, its doing a hack job.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

The best way to address those kind of issues is with the truth. Explain your position with a smile and don't give them too much. The thing not to do is completely ignore it. One can not ignore anything in the political realm, be proactive or face the consequences of inaction

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

I find this funny, all the while NO ONE says anything about the white house media and other news stations asking Obama and Pelosi questions like "whose your fav baseball team" or "What kind of dog are you gonna get" or "Whats your favorite word"

Seriously............talk about pre scripted......and non hard hitting....

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric

The best way to address those kind of issues is with the truth. Explain your position with a smile and don't give them too much. The thing not to do is completely ignore it. One can not ignore anything in the political realm, be proactive or face the consequences of inaction

I'm not in favor of Angle shying from the press, however what you suggest is easier said than done in a one on one interview.

Just look at what the criminal press tried to do with Ron Paul during the election campaign. Just asking him all sorts of retarded off-the-wall questions.

Ron is a pretty savy politician, and his son Rand is even more so. But Angle doesn't have the chops they do. The press knows this so they see her as an easy target.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

The press is there to ask her crap like: "Do you think we should eliminate the federal government?" "Are you in favor of secession?" "Are you in favor of armed revolution?" Totally insane ridiculous nonsensical questions that they use to paint her as a nut job.

The press isn't "painting" her as anything. SHE IS A NUT JOB! They ask those questions because it was HER who first stated she wanted to use "Second Amendment Remedies" if she didn't beat Harry Reid in a fair election.

Angle's positions are promoted by Ivy League Doctorates of Economics and History. Her positions are completely inline with what one would see coming out of the Austrian school.

Total and complete BS! Show us some of these Ivy League Doctorates of Economics writings that say they agree with Sharon Angle. If that Shtuff is from Austria, then it needs to stay there.

The press isn't doing its job, its doing a hack job.

The press has an obligation to ask people running for office what their views are. You of all people should know this. You constantly beat up on the MSM, and now you act like you don't want them to do the job we need them to do. Asinine.

Angle doesn't have the chops they do. The press knows this so they see her as an easy target.

She is a very easy target, and she painted the bullseye on her chest herself. The press has every right, and indeed a duty, to reveal this stupid b!tch's un American views before she can do any real damage to our country.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

She's not nuts.

I don't agree with all of her positions, but she is certainly less radical than what we currently have for federal legislators.

Our current criminal federal government has promoted the:

Nationalization of the auto industry
nationalization of the home mortgage industry
nationalization of the health insurance industry
etc...

now that is radical.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

Well the Austrian School of economics is a major theory group in the field, it is a legitimate, if minority view. I am sure that there are some that follow that school in the Ivy League, because there would be at any major university with a good economics department. And mnemeth1 is right, her economic policy does support the Austrian School, but that does not mean that she is not a nutter.

You pointed out well the actually crazy things that she said such as the 2nd Amendment "solution" and the like. She's said some very insane things, and it is the media's job to find out if that is a matter of her putting her foot down her throat, or if she actually believes the things that come out of her mouth.

However I'll agree with mnemeth1 to a point as well, that her economic and governance policy should be prefaced with the theory behind them. If the American media does in fact want to have a large public debate upon the merits of the Austrian School versus Keynesian Economics I'd be all for it, but they have to be honest and informative about it, not just use it as a hit job.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

Maybe the press is doing a hit job because Sharon "McNutty" Angle is using their shows as a plug for money.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12GaugePermissionSlip

Maybe the press is doing a hit job because Sharon "McNutty" Angle is using their shows as a plug for money.

Oh and do not get me wrong that is another very good point! It is a horrible ethical violation on her part, and for that reason I wouldn't ever book her on a network if I were in their position. However there are other ways of going about getting correspondence and information from a candidate without their being able to co-opt a show.

Now I do not agree with either her using the shows for fund gathering, or with the Austrian School either but they are different and separate things and I would say that it is in fact in the interest of national discourse for journalists not to allow for vendettas over things like this.

Do not get me wrong, if I was interviewing her, I'd crucify her. I would not though resort to making her seem as though she did not have any mainstream opinions at all. There's enough crazy she's said and done already to go to town on without warping the realities of economic theories and doing other unethical things.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Radical if one is viewing issues from a purely conservative aspect. However, not so much if one stay moderate. It seems as a simple lean.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Sharon Angle from the video
So they report the news the way we want them to report the news

Is she kidding?!?

The entire point of journalism, theoretically, is to report the news as it is...not as a catering to the desires of politicians...oye vie...what a dimwit...but I am certain that is a similar opinion held by all in those positions...and some even know how to make it happen...

Also, she plugged her website twice in less than 4 seconds...:shk:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Sharon Angle from the video
So they report the news the way we want them to report the news

Is she kidding?!?

The entire point of journalism, theoretically, is to report the news as it is...not as a catering to the desires of politicians...oye vie...what a dimwit...but I am certain that is a similar opinion held by all in those positions...and some even know how to make it happen...

Also, she plugged her website twice in less than 4 seconds...:shk:

I don't think anyone is going to go for her demands, not at all. She is demanding that journalists act as a free PR department for her and that is something that (usually) makes the stomach of a journalist churn.

I am not at all sure what the point of this all was for her, she won't get her way and she comes across horribly for it. If I were her I'd be firing my PR manager!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

It's the journalists's choice to report on her; it's her choice to refuse interviews.

What I dislike about this though are the non-issues that are hammered on. This doesn't just apply to Angle, it applies to politics in general.

The media is massively biased in favor of the "progressive" agenda. They see anyone that wants to reduce State power as being a threat. They reflexively attack in a dogmatic fashion and rarely are those attacks targeting anything substantive.

For example, the "second amendment" comment. Angle obviously does not believe the people should begin waging war against the US government. In context, it was a warning about what could happen if the government continues on its current course of destroying economy of the country.

What they should be focusing on is her hawkish stance on Iran, something I disagree with her on.

What they should be focusing on are her views on gay marriage, something I disagree with her on.

What they should be focusing on are her views on local control of schools, something I agree with her on (although I don't believe in public education in general).

Instead, we get a lot of hot air and appeals to emotion rather than reason.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Disregarding your political affiliations and ideology, do you really think that Angle was justified in what she said?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I'm not surprised Angle wants scripted press conferences....

Sharon Angle is a fool that would usher in a theocracy in a heartbeat.
What's that say about her supporters, the Tea Party Express.

www.youtube.com...

As soon as her views on social security are made know by her opponents; she's toast; but at least she does have a platform, although it's a stupid one; the other conservatives are just running on an anti Obama ticket. It might work however.

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense!

[edit on 3-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well, this is how I see it.

Reid is up for re-election in my state.

I would(and a lot of other nevadans that I talk to) would rather vote in Satan himself than to continue to let Reid stay in office.

Compared to who is running Washington now, this woman is a saint.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I care not your viewpoint, party allegiance if your run for office to represent me you better answer every single question asked of you and say nothing when the questioning gets to be too hairy.

If you run for office you cannot dictate policy to the press and in effect request that The Freedom Of The Press becomes nullified. To those people your days are numbered.

To give a vote for someone who asks for scripted questions from the press is a vote against The Constitution of The United States Of America. A vote for someone who is against freedoms is a vote for the terrorists.

If you don't like answering questions keep your nose out of politics and out of the political arena.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by TheImmaculateD1]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Will blunders never cease? Ms. Angle, your ideas of how the press should act give a new meaning to "political theater".

And, please, Ms. Angle, no more panhandling!! It's enough for me to be approached in parking lots by strangers asking for money, but I find your public approach at begging to be likewise sad and bizarre.

new topics

top topics

join