It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Worst Oil Spills In History (Summed Up In 1 Photo)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Would just like to repeat that as I was unsure of my stats I had to look it up again as it is such a high number - yes it is in fact

16 BILLION - damn thats pretty wrong.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Just want to clarify: This image still gives you an idea of other oil spills to look into and research on if you're one of those people. An image that claims to be a chart or a graph of something like this is rarely, rarely accurate.

To be taken as a reference I'd assume, not fact.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ouroborus2012
Umm.. You're basing this on a photo and information supplied by the IPOTF?? They give you data based on what the oil companies tell them..

So, if BP or whomever says they only spilled 30 gallons of oil, they slap a little dot on that photo and deliver it to us as fact.

This is nearly as ridiculous as believing that the video feeds they show us are ALL there is to see.. Nevermind the man behind the curtain!!

Pictures like this are what you get when you let the perp dictate the crime scene and shame on anybody for accepting it as absolute truth just because they tell us so.

Exactly what I was thinking! You can't believe any stats the governemnt and agencies related to big business convey to the general public! Unless i see it with my own two beautiful eyes, everything is all hearsay! I know it's bad to say but, my society and surroundings have brought me to this thought process.

Hell, I don't even know if there is an oil spill out there!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Any of these major spills are bad.

But the reaction in the US is always puffed up by the media.

But don't get me wrong, just because the media looses their calm - which is actually a theatrical device for stirring up viewership, which translates to more advertising dollars - doesn't mean it's not a bad spill.

At any rate, this is typical. Something bad happens in the US and on a comparative scale it's not that bad (9/11 anyone?).

"OMG Dude, you're heartless! You're anti-American!!!" - I'm sure someone is thinking that...

No, I'm realistic. Any act of violence should be shunned. But when we do it, it's not that big a deal...the violence flows the right way, from America toward another country. But when the violence flows uphill (from some other country towards the US) it's outrageous.

Bad things happen all over the world, but when it happens to the US it's extraordinarily painful and offensive. This is what we call egocentrism... well, actually it's ethnocentrism (though, ethno- in its loosest sense).

The map fails to mention the major 40 some odd year spill in the Niger Delta, as well.

The only good that may come from the Gulf Spill is perhaps an awakening in at least some of the population regarding the exploitation of nonrenewable resources - though, like all media-hyped disasters, the interest and awareness will fade with the next Lindsey Lohan scandal or other stupid Hollywood polemic.

C'est la vie americaine, n'est-ce pas?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
You have either BEEN DUPED by BP "PR" or intentionally posted propaganda.

Notice the author/Designer of the "infographic"???

Gavin Potenza

Here is his graphic straight from his website...look at it closely and compare to your image..
www.gavinpotenza.com...

Maybe someone can post them side-by-side for clarity.

Someone took his work and SHRANK the spill.

YOUR IMAGE HAS BEEN ALTERED TO MAKE THE SPILL LOOK SMALLER.

also from his website

PLEASE NOTE this graphic is out of date. As of 7/18/2010, the Government estimates the total spillage between 51 and 145 million gallons.

Add that to your ALTERED IMAGE and I imagine we are talking about a whole different graphic representation than the one you put forward.

WHERE did you get THE BOGUS GRAPHIC by the way???

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
Sometimes its hard to picture the difference between gallons, barrels, and tons.

This image is a good visualization of how much oil was spilled during the major spills here on earth.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a636c0049246.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 7/26/2010 by Alaskan Man]

Edit to add: AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT IS TIRED OF BEING LIED TO??

[edit on 27-7-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

i dont know, they look the same to me. it just didnt mention that its out of date.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Lateralus51

Compare the Deepwater labels closely. The second one posted is labeled in a different unit, and it actually even looks like it says 2000 for the year, though it may be a typo (and it's a tiny print)

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by asianeko

Both have "Gavin Potenza" as the author in the upper right hand corner.

The link I posted above was from GAVIN POTENZA'S WEBSITE (the original infographic)

Whatever is posted in the OP has been modified.

The original at the link I show...shows a much LARGER graphical representation for the deepwater horizon spill.

The OP version ...compare the size to the original, look at the Deepwater Horizon spill..also everything else is measured in "Tonnes" Uk for Tons...but in the OP version the deepwater horizon spill says "Tons"...it has been tampered with.

between the two the numbers are different for the Deepwater Horizon. The OPs graphic indicates 68,000 metric tonnes (notably with tons mispelled as both the original and the metirc spelling is "Tonnes"...while wikipedia indicates 170,000,000 gallons spilled which equals 575,000 metric tonnes as opposed to the ops graphic of 68,000

IT HAS BEEN ALTERED.

I want to know who shrunk and tweaked the inforgraphic.

Tracking down BSers and professional propagandists is a hobby.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The deepwater horizon is by no means the largest oil well blowout in the US.

That honor goes to Kern County Calif.

Lakeview Gusher on the Midway-Sunset Oil Field in Kern County, California of 1910 is believed to be the largest-ever U.S. gusher. At its peak, more than 100,000 barrels (16,000 m³) of oil per day flowed out, reaching as high as 200 feet (60 m) in the air. It remained uncapped for 18 months, spilling over nine million barrels (380 million gallons / 1.4 million m³) of oil, less than half of which was recovered.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Oh I'm not arguing which is the original, just what the differences were.

I am also interested to see who doctored the image.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join