It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House backed release of Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
www.theaustralian.com.au...

THE US government secretly advised Scottish ministers it would be "far preferable" to free the Lockerbie bomber than jail him in Libya.

Correspondence obtained by The Sunday Times reveals the Obama administration considered compassionate release more palatable than locking up Abdel Baset al-Megrahi in a Libyan prison.

The intervention, which has angered US relatives of those who died in the attack, was made by Richard LeBaron, deputy head of the US embassy in London, a week before Megrahi was freed in August last year on grounds that he had terminal cancer.

The document, acquired by a well-placed US source, threatens to undermine US President Barack Obama's claim last week that all Americans were "surprised, disappointed and angry" to learn of Megrahi's release.

Scottish ministers viewed the level of US resistance to compassionate release as "half-hearted" and a sign it would be accepted.

The US has tried to keep the letter secret, refusing to give permission to the Scottish authorities to publish it on the grounds it would prevent future "frank and open communications" with other governments.

In the letter, sent on August 12 last year to Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond and justice officials, Mr LeBaron wrote that the US wanted Megrahi to remain imprisoned in view of the nature of the crime.

The note added: "Nevertheless, if Scottish authorities come to the conclusion that Megrahi must be released from Scottish custody, the US position is that conditional release on compassionate grounds would be a far preferable alternative to prisoner transfer, which we strongly oppose."

Now this would not have been such an issue if Obama hadn't asked for

President Obama wants BP-Lockerbie bomber facts

www.politico.com...

President Barack Obama on Tuesday welcomed the congressional investigation into any role BP may have played in the release of the only man, a Libyan, convicted of the 1988 airline bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland, an inquiry that could reveal whether the embattled oil giant lobbied for the bomber’s release to win drilling rights in Libya.

Read more: www.politico.com...

The weird events that surround this administration never cease to amaze me.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'm sure the Obama administration did not want anything to stand in the way of BP's quest to drill offshore of Libya. BP was a huge contributor to Obama's campaign you know.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
i'm so not surprised
you know why, yesterday i read a artical where a north korean said in the comments section on cnn, the americans have always delt with double standards, from israel vs Palestinians , and serbians vs Albanians in kosovo, USA supports kosovo but the Palestinians are statless over 50 years pretty funny

what benefits the united states to release this killer ? did you know that BP is starting to drill for OIL in Libya BP has a contract since 2006. Obama always needs little more oil on the side, money is always the trouble maker. follow the money and you will see what i'm talking about.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Yes, but does Obama think this sort of information wouldn't surface?

Maybe he should check with whoever is really running the country before he makes comments, lol

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Well, your comment here reflects the sheeple mindset.

Just remember, when a politician is talking, he is lying.

When a politician says no new taxes, put a rubberband on your wallet.

When a politician says financial reform, they mean expect to get screwed by the federal reserve.

When a politician says they are tough on terrorists, expect empire expansion.

When a politician states they did not put an addendum in a bill to allow their corporatist whores to rape the public, THINK OF DODD and OBAMA!

Sorry, I think we need to put together the blatant lies of the current government in one big thread.

I think we could probably fill about 15 pages of just OP with that. Not saying the previous chief in evil was any different.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Sorry, I think we need to put together the blatant lies of the current government in one big thread.

That's crossed my mind as well.

You start it I will help ya, because that is a daunting task, lol

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I think we could probably fill about 15 pages of just OP with that. Not saying the previous chief in evil was any different.

This is different for some reason, it almost seems like the don't try and hide it anymore.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This is just sickening!

BP pays off Obama with campaign cash and other undisclosed goodies to give the go ahead to the Scots for the bombers release so BP gets drilling rights in Libya.

Of course nothing will come of the "investigation" into this because who's gonna be doing the "investigating"? The U.S. Congress run by the Democrats and the U.S. State Department run by Obama's lapdog, Hillary.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
How many twist and turns are going to present themselves over this PB event?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
How many twist and turns are going to present themselves over this PB event?

Too many that won't amount to anything due to the regime's monopoly on power.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

They don't need to hide it.

The Media is there for entertainment, not actual journalism.

The entire government is in the on deal so no one will speak out or insist on any meaningful/productive hearings.

The public cannot get their voice heard even assuming they were able to drag themselves away from 'Dancing with the Stars' long enough to complain to someone.

All these stories do is single out those of us who are a threat...anyone who actually notices can now be labelled mentally unstable and locked away with a lifetime supply of pills (or better yet through dissention they are a domestic terrorist because they call for change/action).

The public has shown that as long as the TV is on and pizza still arrives in 30 min they could care less about what the truth actually is.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Notice I am Scottish.

I am also very fed up with mainly Americans slagging Scots off about this case.

Obama and UK Government are lying through their teeth on this and most sheeple are buying it.

I havn't got the strength to go through the whole sorry affair so I will direct your attention to This Article for which I am indebited to Rense for highlightling, which does a great job of explaining whats what.

Bottom line is the guy that got blamed for it didn't do it. The Americans only have themselves to blame as they shot down an Iranian plane and commended the dumass that did that, and the Americans knew the plane was targeted but omitted to tell anyone except high ups.

Now where have I heard that happen before

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Don't take it personal,

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Another Joe Wilson "You Lie!" moment for this idiot-ridden Lie House, among a host of other lies......

top topics

join