It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rejected from boyscouts for not believing in God

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
[
Some people leave Atheism further in life like my Uncle did after my grandma just passed. I can't say I will NEVER turn religious or spiritual, but as long as I stick to only believing in fact and evidence then I will remain and Atheist.

I don't want to worry you, but at the age of 19 I was an atheist.
At the age of 21, I was not.
Be wary- it can happen to anyone. Frightening, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Hmmmmmmm.

Did i at ANY point accuse you of not having morals?

All i see is a kneejerk reaction based on your own fears, hates and prejeduces. You really could use some lovin'. Try it.

I am putting forward the FREEMASON/COMMON MAN ideals ... which also happen to be general public consensus. Don't like it? Move to the moon. Or don't try be part of it. IT'S YOUR CHOICE.

But do NOT attempt to be what you claim to despise, as "shoving" your unbelief down our throats. All we want is a better world for our kids. On our (rather meager) terms.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

Do you have your own god, to which you are answerable? Now even if you're a moslem, i as a christian can accept that you are subservient to "higher authority" to which you'll abide.

If you are an athiest, and believe yourself to be the pinnacle of creation, with absolutely no moral "duties" to adhere to, frankly i wouldn't want you around my kids.

You said I had no moral duties to adhere to because I lacked a belief in a higher authority. Then you go on to say you wouldn't want an Atheist around your kids. That is basically the same as saying us Atheists don't have any morals, might as well have just said that.

And actually I wouldn't want people like you around kids, spreading that garbage to such innocent minds.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Oh my. You sound like every other hate-filled Atheist. Filled with anger and angst, and busy reading Dawkin's work. Why don't you just calm down and enjoy life?

No need to worry yourself with religious topics. I'm no Atheist myself, but am not very religious either. I'm close to Agnostic, but not quite. I only talk about religion in times like these. The thing is, you have to understand that there are all kinds of people in this world, and you are just one kind. You aren't anything special when compared to others, even with your "state of mind".

I say "state of mind" because that's what Atheism is, basically. it means "without a God". How can one be born Atheist when they don't even know what a God is? An Atheist actively doesn't believe in any God. Therefore, you are born with no state of mind concerning religion, and that's not Atheism.

As for your rant about the boyscouts, leave them be. Your cousin can join any other group if he doesn't like the boyscouts. Now that I think about it, I have a strange feeling you're one of those teenagers who are only angry at religion because his/her parents made him go to boring 'ol church. I could be wrong of course, but I've seen others like you. I apologize if I jumped to conclusions, though.

Anyway, lighten up and try to forget about matters concerning religion for once. Go watch a movie, or go to a theme park. Just try not to anger yourself when religious people/messages are nearby.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I have a very clear understanding of "your side". You're thinking about such a complex issue in absolute terms. As if everything has to fall on either 0 or 1. And that is just not how it works. I'm not saying your criticism of religion isn't legitimate, I'm saying your approach to it is wrong.

Do you really think I choke down religious dogma of any sort? I don't. But religion and God are two different things to me, and I don't claim to understand It. No human could.

I'm not saying atheism is a phase. I'm saying that as it stands it is as imposing, in practice, as religious zealotry. Atheism is a brand of religion like any other these days and many who subscribe to that way of thought are as demeaning to the religious, as the religious are to them.

I don't care what you believe in, two wrongs still don't make a right.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I got rejected when I was 8 or so for being Jewish. They are a Christian organization and to be honest its fair enough.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join