It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jack Straw summoned to the US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I’m astounded to hear that our ex Foreign Secretary Jack Straw has been summoned to give evidence to the US Senate Committee to answer questions on why the terrorist Abdelbaset Ali Al Megrahi was released, with possible connections to an oil deal with Libya. It was actually a decision made by the Scottish Executive and they have rejected calls from the US to go there to answer to them on what happened.

What ever happened to trusting an ally? This sort of treatment is yet another slap in the face to the UK from the USA government and sadly will only further damage the once respectful relationship our governments had. I’m sure members of our ex government will be happy to answer such questions yet actually being summoned to appear before the Senate, I mean come on.

I’m sure that if the UK government was to summon the USA’s secretary of state who held that position during the 911 crisis to answer questions on the whole affair I’m sure that would be seen as outrageous.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Maybe we should issue arrest warrants for any US politicians who turned a blind eye, or even aided Irish in the US in fundraising for the IRA.

They are trying to turn the whole issue into another BP blame fest. What they are really doing is covering up the fact that the planned appeal would have cast even more doubt on the conviction, and brought into play evidence that was held back from the defence in the original trial, all of which was circumstantial at best.
Of course, Tony Blair was likely the one who brokered the deal to get the guy back to Libya, paving the way for the BP deal there, but why isn't he being called to answer questions? Maybe Gordon Broon will be summoned to stand before congress like a naughty schoolboy as well?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
The question I have is why does the US still have that much clout? I suppose, when you're playing politics, you have to be somebody's whore or you're just not playing by the rules.

Okay, Straw is just one of them so it's all the same in his case. But why do you guys let them have McKinnon?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
An American government sponsoring terrorism? No way!

I remember all to well as a child running away from a bomb scare.
I’m sure all those Brits who lost loved ones or had been maimed and injured would love to see those ex US Politian’s answer as to why they allowed financial support to a terrorist group, solely targeting an ally.

What’s not highlighted is Al Megrahi was due to testify his innocence with new evidence. That evidence would of cleared him.

They have so much clout because money talks.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

Haven't you heard: The US is bankrupt. There is no more money, sonny. There's no money in the UK either. Okay, there's no money anywhere anymore so we can all stop bending over pretending there is.

But where does the clout otherwise come from? What's going on?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

Politics sir.
Do not take this as "The USA hates the UK"
You guys got crappy politicians and so do we.
Let them posture and be big tough guys.
It is all Pro wrestling.
Kick back and grab a pint, soon we will gang up and blow up a third world nation because they had evil brown men with turbans or something.
But we will do it united.
Cheers.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
If this apparent breakdown in relationships mean that the UK won't follow the US in to wars then I don't see it as a bad thing at all.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
They has no right to release him and none of the public suported this action so thats not what i call a democracy.

it looks like they might have had the wrong man and were protecting their own interests because the case was going to go back to court.

maybe it was a false flag but we were not educated at the time to know how common these are.

Iran is being setup so watch out for anything were they say is to do with Iran before the dust has even settled.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

Whilst he is there the Senators should question him on his involvment in the run up to and invasion of Iraq. Actually best not, as it would call in to question their own complicity in the whole affair.

Seriously could these Senators be anymore hypocritical? They would call him in make a big song and dance for the T.V. cameras and try to embarras Straw, like they attempted and failed with Galloway.

I am no fan of Straw's, but if i were him i would tell them to jog the # on.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Tykonos

Politics sir.
Do not take this as "The USA hates the UK"
You guys got crappy politicians and so do we.
Let them posture and be big tough guys.
It is all Pro wrestling.
Kick back and grab a pint, soon we will gang up and blow up a third world nation because they had evil brown men with turbans or something.
But we will do it united.
Cheers.

I don't think that at all, neither do Brits hate Americans, far from it. We certainly wouldn't adopt so much American culture if we hated our American cousins.

This about the US's governments response to this crisis and the way they are handling the siuation.
Calling an ex government minister to your Senate to account for decisions they have made regarding their own affairs in their own Country isn't the way it's done.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Yeah we are both broke. So I've no idea about the clout then.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by LieBuster
They has no right to release him and none of the public suported this action so thats not what i call a democracy.

it looks like they might have had the wrong man and were protecting their own interests because the case was going to go back to court.

maybe it was a false flag but we were not educated at the time to know how common these are.

Iran is being setup so watch out for anything were they say is to do with Iran before the dust has even settled.

I think you will find that people did support it in Scotland...i for one did support it. I do not agree that what he did was right but our Government is compassionate to humans, unlike most other governments. The man is terminally ill and i think (personal opinion) that he should have been allowed to make amends with his family etc and say his goodbyes...he will be judged in the afterlife...not by you or i.

And just to clarify, Jack Straw has not been SUMMONED, he has been INVITED...very big difference!

If no one can have compassion for your fellow man then what the hell do we as humans having going for us cos we sure are crap at everything else.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Originally posted by LieBuster

And just to clarify, Jack Straw has not been SUMMONED, he has been INVITED...very big difference!

That's a difference of opinion.

Most media outlets are refering to him being summoned.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos
I’m astounded to hear that our ex Foreign Secretary Jack Straw has been summoned to give evidence to the US Senate Committee to answer questions on why the terrorist Abdelbaset Ali Al Megrahi was released, with possible connections to an oil deal with Libya. It was actually a decision made by the Scottish Executive and they have rejected calls from the US to go there to answer to them on what happened.

What ever happened to trusting an ally? This sort of treatment is yet another slap in the face to the UK from the USA government and sadly will only further damage the once respectful relationship our governments had. I’m sure members of our ex government will be happy to answer such questions yet actually being summoned to appear before the Senate, I mean come on.

I’m sure that if the UK government was to summon the USA’s secretary of state who held that position during the 911 crisis to answer questions on the whole affair I’m sure that would be seen as outrageous.

www.independent.co.uk...

is he going?..

if he is its a disgrace...he should tell them to stuff it...the US doesnt even extradite its criminals to britain when we ask...and they protect their soldiers who get women pregnant whilst abroad...making sure they dont have to pay any money or support the woman in any way if they dont want to!!..

the US treats the whole world like scum..like they are some way beneath them...and its time everyone started treating them in the same way...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Didn't Jack Straw have a run-in with deVillepan during the run up to the Iraq beat down of Dictator Hussein? I remember the British and French exchanging "pleasantries" in the fetid halls of the UN.

In any event, releasing the muslim jihadist to Libya for oil contracts seem like normal operating procedures for the douche bags that run our world.

I think he should tell the effete congress of commies and criminals in the USA to take a leap. Obama just wants to drag as many Brits through the mud as possible. President Obama hates the Royals and their subjects.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
While looking at my computer screen, my left ear caught the newscaster on Sky News saying that Jack Straw has refused to go.

Whatever the ins and outs of the case I'm pleased at his decision.... purely and simply because if the roles where reversed, and British Commons Select Committee was asking a former US Foreign Secretary to attend a hearing, the US would laugh and put it's two fingers up.

I hope what the newscaster on Sky said is the reality of it ... Kudos to Straw (who I don't normally particularly like or admire) for his decision.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

I'm afraid its not a matter of opinion it is fact. He was invited along with 2 Scottish ministers to testify in the states. They have all declined the invitation and since that decision, the Lockerbie Inquest in the states has been called off because of the witnesses declining the invitation to appear.

To be summoned would mean theyhad no choice, and i'm afraid they did have a choice!

new topics

top topics

join