It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIssouri Proposition C

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

[Proposed by the 95th General Assembly (Second Regular Session) SS SCS HCS HB 1764] Official Ballot Title: Shall the Missouri Statutes be amended to: Deny the government authority to penalize citizens for refusing to purchase private health insurance or infringe upon the right to offer or accept direct payment for lawful healthcare services? Modify laws regarding the liquidation of certain domestic insurance companies? It is estimated this proposal will have no immediate costs or savings to state or local governmental entities. However, because of the uncertain interaction of the proposal with implementation of the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, future costs to state governmental entities are unknown. Fair Ballot Language: A “yes” vote will amend Missouri law to deny the government authority to penalize citizens for refusing to purchase private health insurance or infringe upon the right to offer or accept direct payment for lawful healthcare services. The amendment will also modify laws regarding the liquidation of certain domestic insurance companies. A “no” vote will not change the current Missouri law regarding private health insurance, lawful healthcare services, and the liquidation of certain domestic insurance companies. If passed, this measure will have no impact on taxes.

Source

Full Text

The state of Missouri has a primary next month and prop C will be on the ballot for missouri voters to decide If we want Obamacare or not.

The state legislator Knows that if they were to pass this bill the Governor would probably veto it. so they are leaving it to the people to decide and not chancing a veto from Jay Nixon (D)

Missouri is the first state so far to take action against Obamacare and if this passes Missouri will more than likely be sued by the federal government.

Me personally i hope it passes, congress overstepped their powers by passing Obamacare and i say if they feds want to sue us we'll see them in court!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Good on Missouri. I hope the voters vote yes to amend the statutes. The federal government has no business promoting private business on the citizens. This will not provide any tangible benefit to Americans. It will however guarantee that the insurance companies continue to make as much money as they can. I will have to keep an eye on this to see what the voters do at the polls.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by who_sright?

it comes up for a vote on Aug. 3rd i'll be updating this thread with the results once they are released.

the Majority of the people in Missouri did not want Obamacare. It will be interesting to watch the results. just have to see if the people in Kansas City and St. louis vote to support Obama or not since those areas are heavy democrat areas in the state.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
August 3, 2010 is going to be a historic date for the U.S. if the voters reject ObamaCare.
What the Feds attempt to do is going to be interesting if it passes. The article below states federal law trumps state law.

Go Missouri!!!!

www.politicsdaily.com...

I won't be able to post as I will be visiting my Mom, but you can't bet this will be all over MSM.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Go Missouri
Go Missouri, GO!

I hope other States follow the actions of the Great State of Missouri, I hope my state does. I know Missouri has had a tough immigration law on their books for awhile now and didn't get sued like we did, but their law was passed before Obama became The Ruler.

Obama-Care will have to tax each and everyone of us to an early grave.
Remember, we are his Serfs and we must do the bidding of the King.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/69138124c184.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 1-8-2010 by guohua]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
ballotpedia.org...

www.kansascity.com...

www.stltoday.com...

few more links on the subject

this is a very interesting devlopment wonder if they will sue before they even start to vote on such a matter obama has been sue happy these days

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

I'm not sure that it really comes down to who supports Obama or not. I am in St. Louis and from what I can see and have heard it comes down to who the heck can afford to pay for insurance?

If the people that don't have insurance now can't afford it, making it required doesn't make it any more affordable. And then getting "fined" in a sense if they don't have insurance will likely just mean less people will seek medical attention.

There are MANY in St. Louis who are either unemployed or maybe employed but still can't afford medical insurance, required or not.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
So, is there a provision in this law to deny any and all coverage with public money, any medical service for those refusing to buy insurance?
There should be absolutely no money or benefiets of any knid.
I'd just love to hear these "patriots" whine and beg when they get cancer, lose their homes and every dime they have, then demand there right to treatment? People are stupid, this law is a classic example.
Who do you think pays for the uninsured.
God. People are just dumb!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

it does come down to who can or cannot afford to buy insurance. however its also a referendum on Obama and the democrats in congress passing a bill that the majority of us did not want!

reply to post by OldDragger

did you even read the bill? or are you just trying to get on your soapbox? This bill isn't the people saying we don't want healthcare reform or we don't want to buy insurance. we would buy insurance if we could afford it. this Bill is saying to the crooks in washington we will not allow you to tell us we have to buy insurance or you will fine or imprison us for not buying insurance!

Go read the damn bill before you try to get on your soapbox and derail my thread friend!

an article in the Joplin Globe about Prop C

The state of Missouri on Tuesday is in line to become the first in the nation to conduct what some are saying will be a popularity vote on the new federal health care law.

The proposal, Proposition C on Tuesday’s ballot, calls for a state law that would bar the federal government from requiring residents to have health insurance or from assessing a punishment if they were to pay their medical bills out of their own pockets.

Such a law would conflict with the new federal law, which was backed by the Obama administration and the Democratic-controlled Congress. The federal law requires that most people must have health insurance by 2014 or face fines.

The measure’s sponsor, Sen. Jane Cunningham, R-Chesterfield, has been quoted as saying the legislation “simply protects the rights of Missourians to choose their own health care products and services without fear of facing fines or imprisonment. It doesn’t reject any federal health care option, nor take away an individual’s choice to participate in the federal health care plan.”

The constitutionality of the proposal has been questioned in court, but a Cole County circuit judge dismissed the lawsuit recently, leaving the proposal on Tuesday’s ballot.

Opponents said the ballot proposal posed an unconstitutional predicament for voters in that it would force them to cast a single vote for what is a two-part question. The measure also would amend the law on the liquidation of insurance companies that go out of business. The judge did not agree, but had earlier said that he would make a quick ruling in order for it to be appealed possibly to the state’s Supreme Court before the election.

joplin globe

the Judge hurried his decission on prop c so it could be appealed to the Missouri Supreme Court. went to vote today and Prop C was still on the ballot

the polls in Missouri close in about 15 minutes from this post. as soon as the results are in i will update this thread

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
So far Prop C is passing by a landslide

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Proposition C Precincts Reporting 1625 of 3354
Yes 381,782 75.7%
No 122,420 24.3%
Total Votes 504,202
* Election results as of 9:34:07 on 8/03/2010

SOURCE

Jane Cunningham calls Missouri the first domino. If Proposition C passes -- and based on very early returns it looks like it will -- the national campaign against President Barack Obama's health care law will gain momentum. In November, Arizona, Florida and Oklahoma will hold similar votes to the one Missouri is holding tonight. If Proposition C passes, Cunningham, a Republican state senator from Chesterfield, expects good things to happen in the other states as well. "If the heartland, the bellwether state, the Show-Me State sends a message to Washington, it's going to encourage other states to do the same," Cunningham said.

SOURCE

still early in the night with not all the precincts reporting their results yet but looks like Missouri is going to fire the first shot across the bow of the Federal gov't and Obamacare. in November 3 more states are planning on putting forth similar legislation for their voters to decide.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Proposition C
Precincts Reporting 3354 of 3354
Yes 667,680 71.1%
No 271,102 28.9%
Total Votes 938,782
* Election results as of 11:36:39 on 8/03/2010

just have to wait for Robin Carnahan to certify the election and its Official Missouri Fired the first shot Across Obamacare and D.C.'s Bow.

Obama and your croonies do you hear what the State of Missouri is yelling tonight? YOU OVER STEPPED YOUR BOUNDS WHEN YOU PASSED OBAMACARE AND WE WILL NOT SIT IDLY BY AND LET YOU FINE US BECAUSE WE CAN'T AFFORD YOUR INSURANCE!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Good job Missouri!!
I can only hope that EVERY other state follows suit! The Fed has no right to force private insurance on anyone! Scum....

new topics

top topics

join