It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Information Inflation (trust only in yourself?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
In the (post-)modern world the information has become almost a "click" away (you enter the topic in search engine, hit enter or click 'search' and a vot). Of course this is only so with the technologically advanced nations and people whom has knowhow and capacity to use Internet.

It appears to me, that the sheer quantity of information available has brought about the inflation of information. The are many possible contributors to this effect. First, we have to individually value the information. There are so many websites, internet documents, videos and so forth which all present information that appear to be correct and legimate, presented in the way that even most extraordinary and ridiculous claims attain some credibility due the form it has been presented.

"Dr. Whoever said this and that...", "Unveiled government documents supports the theory which basically says..", "Eyewitnesses from that event said..." - Believe!

All such manners of presentation loads even most bizarre "theories" with some pathos, which will affect some people. In order to invidually evaluate the information presented, it will require a considerable effort of both energy and time to make sure that the reviewed information is legimate. Personally, this has contributed in my case to the "information Inflation" in such extent, that I usually outright dismiss all the information without question which doesn't fit my personal view of how things are (So have I became a believer of my own "religion"?).

So there are many "documentaries" that are made with consideration and carefulness, resulting in information which may seem credible from surface. On ATS there are and will be people posting these documentaries that they themselves believe or trust in for the other people to watch. Perhaps one of the underlying motives of such activity is the function of peer review (to find out what others think about it). If I post this incredible document here, maybe someone will make the effort to check the "facts" presented in that documentary? Or maybe someone will present the critical observation, that debunks the whole idea?

I'd like to see people here in ATS to take this issue seriously and began to reflect it. How do you evaluate information and it's relevance/credibility? What are "facts enough" in order to make you accept the theory represented to you? Do you trust in subject rather than the object? (Meaning that do you evaluate the information according your own beliefs/conceptions/views or do you accept any theory as long as it is represented in credible manner?)

Related threads:
Human Intelligence - by CHAOS.
Get your own beliefs - by catwhoknows.

(These threads were the primary catalysts which made me post this thread)

-v

[edit on 17-7-2010 by v01i0]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Interesting topic. I for one only relies on my inner knowing. There is a lot of information out there, and we need to be careful regarding the belief phenomenon. One of the reasons most humans have lost their inner knowing is because they believe . The first step towards a new information that comes your way is discernment. Then, asking within if the information is accurate.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
i am currently on my second-time through an undergraduate degree.

i have learned to be wary of those people who would be the "guardians" of information. the establishment and its peer review process has turned objectivity into a vested interest. they "guard" their information from the heathens in order to establish what i now consider to be a false sense of confidence in their credibility.

no.....i much prefer unleashing the raw power of information into the hands of the masses. on an individual basis, mistakes are abundant. but we will muddle through together, and together, we will get it right.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
Personally, this has contributed in my case to the "information Inflation" in such extent, that I usually outright dismiss all the information without question which doesn't fit my personal view of how things are (So have I became a believer of my own "religion"?).

Absolutely you have, and I can see most people fit the same profile - however, it can be cured

This is a very important topic, and I think people need to get their head around this - truth and facts do not exist as it applies to physical reality. Truth and fact is personal, and subjective (as applies to physical reality).

There is however such a thing as conceptual truth, for example 1+1=2 is true, so long as you don't try and apply it to the real world.

So, what can be true? Understanding and meaning are not based on truth and fact - they arise due to relationships between pieces of information. So understanding something is never true or false, it just is - but understanding is never complete, so we accept that we can learn more.

Truth, fact and belief prevent people from improving their understanding, because, as you stated - you begin to dismiss everything that does not fit with your facts, truth, beliefs.

That filtering impedes your ability to understand. Understanding leads to tolerance - belief leads to intolerance and conflict.

So, your observation is correct - information is exploding - and people who have relied on only a few 'credible' sources, such as authority and MSM are finding themselves lost at sea because they are receiving conflicting information, and they want to 'believe' something. They are looking for some authority to tell them what is true.

That train has already left the station - people are used to easy answers, people who did not think for themselves will be confounded - for a while - then I feel people will realize, they are the final authority, they themselves are the only credible source, and they will begin to look for meaning, rather than 'facts'.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
All interesting replies. Many thanks for your consideration.

When I really think about it, it seems as it is as suggested: People themselves are the final deciders of what they regard as credible and believable information.

But it also seems that (some) people are not capable of doing this decision in a rational way. It seems as it would be easier just to adopt some readily chewed, well prepared view of reality, be that religion, scientific dogma or whatever. Then there is the question of authority. People don't trust enough in themselves, but instead think that someone (usually some authoritive figure or institution) knows better than themselves. Sometimes adopting existing philosophy of life is pure laziness of though. Hell, I could consentrate on running after hot chicks if I don't have to lay dormant all day thinking philosophically!

Personally, I have renounced all beliefs and decided to rely on own experiences - there's a classification for such attitude and it's called empiricism. Until I can verify thing myself, it is only a possibility for me. Paranormal is being very interesting topic for me. People talk about paranormal experiences so much, yet I've been unable to reproduce any such phenomena in my own sphere of experiences. But in personal research of "paranormal" (which I don't regard really to be possible, as everything in existence must be perfectly normal, yet sometimes unexplainable with our understanding) I've come into interesting observation. Many of the paranormal and even divine experiences can be explained by psychological terms.

But heck, I myself began to go off-topic, so I don't go further in that direction.

Originally posted by Amagnon
Truth, fact and belief prevent people from improving their understanding, because, as you stated - you begin to dismiss everything that does not fit with your facts, truth, beliefs.

That's right, hence it is important to cast aside beliefs and focus on what is. After personally doing so, I find my understanding of reality expanding daily and without any contradictions. Everything really is one for me - the world, existence and my experiences, they are all the same. There are no distinctions or expceptions.

-v

[edit on 17-7-2010 by v01i0]

new topics

top topics

join