It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaia Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
If the Gaia theory is true would that be the same type of energy found in our bodies?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Inform me, What is the gaia theory?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Something about how the earth is a living being. And how it can heal itself and goes through cycles. My science teacher reffered to it earlier this year, but I can't remember all the details.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Lol, it sounds like a Bs Theory!

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The gaia theroy is that the earth is self maitning through cycles and self correction.

Under the gaia theory, no matter what happens, short of the dresturction of the planet, it will repair itself and be teaming with life.

For example, the atmosphere is filled with CO2, heats up, bakes all the humans making CO2, then plants take over and restore the atmosphere to the correct levels.

Gaia theory says this is always the case and that Life makes it this way.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by junior_smith
If the Gaia theory is true would that be the same type of energy found in our bodies?

Oh...and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Gaia theory is based on evolution and life...what energy are you reffering to?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Gaia Theory? Does that mean we are like fleas on a dog?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It's actually a really interesting theory, I wrote about it in my blog a few weeks back. It's really intriguing.

Another way you might look at it, is compare the earth to a living biological system, much like the human body, able to fight off 'infection' and heal itself regardless of the amount of damage inflicted on it by the 'intruders'.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The problem is, the human body has antibodies, blood cells and other trackable objects. The Earth has a molten core. And if humans are a disease, you'd think the Earth would have done something by now. Our body takes care of germs as soon as they are detected.

BTW, the creator of this theory was just a dreamer. His ideas got crazier and crazier. I prefer to believe that we are here by chance, and the Earth is just another rock, in an ideal distance from the sun. I don't like the idea that we can trash the planet and that it will heal itself in time.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
i for one belive it to be true

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TJ11240
The problem is, the human body has antibodies, blood cells and other trackable objects. The Earth has a molten core. And if humans are a disease, you'd think the Earth would have done something by now. Our body takes care of germs as soon as they are detected.

some people might consider a reaction of the earth to be recent increases in natural disasters, emergences of more deadly diseases, etc. If you believe this theory, it's useful to consider that it's really only in the past 200 years or so that man has become an extreme pest.

God

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Well if the Gaia Hypothesis is true then maybe things like aids, cancer, other diseases, etc. could be considered earth's 'antibodies' and stuff. Someone has already mentioned this. (parrhesia) We also do eventually die... our bodies shed away dead cells all the time, right? Forgive me if I'm wrong.

It would be interesting if you could apply this theory to the universe....can you? I read about this Gaia theory about a year ago for some class... I can't really remember a lot of it though.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I beleive aspects of the theory, like the CO2 thing. Nothing we can really do can "Destroy" earth, because if we destroyed the ozone layer then some seaweed or something would live in the bottom of the ocean and slowly create more oxygen therefor more ozone, then maybe the seaweed would evolve and all that fun buisiness and eventually it would be teaming with plants and animals all over again. But I don't think the earth is really "Alive", it was just well designed to keep replenishing itself when plants and animals died, by whomever designed it imo.

top topics

join