It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystical thinking or divine communication?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
On the topic of magical or mystical thinking I feel that most, if not all, Christians and people of all religious backgrounds are people that have mystical thought. I, myself, have learned that contrary to my general disposition that I must avoid these thoughts, but nonetheless I still have them. A mystical thought is defined as a wide variety of nonscientific or irrational beliefs, and these beliefs are usually centered on correlations between events.

For instance I once had a mystical belief while I was in the armed forces I found a rosary right by my car when I had stepped out of it and before that event I had been praying that I would pass a test that would help me move to the next level in my profession. I passed the test and believed that a supernatural power had placed that rosary there for comfort. There are many other variations of mystical thinking that do not revolve around events in this way.

Another incident that happened is when a certain Beach Boys song came on the radio as I had put in an application to be discharged on humanitarian grounds (because parents were chronically ill), I heard the Beach Boys song and immediately had a gut feeling that my application would be approved. I had that gut feeling because a year earlier someone from my hometown had sent me a card with that Beach Boy song embedded in the card. It felt like a divine communication saying, “Don’t worry.”

So, does mystical or magical thinking sometimes involve a true relationship between events and perhaps they are divine communication? And if so, should we use caution in these type of circumstances? Because if we do not use caution we could allow it to spiral out of control latter in life. Also, please share your stories of what you feel may have been divine communication.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Can you please explain what you mean by it spiralling out of control? I can't quite make sense of this. How would it ever do so? By giving attention to those divine messages, you can only better your life. It's exactly the same as having traffic signs while you're driving. How does reading the signs cause detriment?

If you mean taking it to pathological levels (i.e., everything is a sign) to the point that you're confounded as to what is genuine and what is simply wishful thinking; well, that's where the heart comes in. Follow your heart in all matters and you'll never go astray.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

By spiraling out of control I meant exactly what you said of how it can spiral out of control. Thank you.

join