It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British troops to withdraw from Sangin in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
US forces to replace British in district of Helmand province where about a third of all UK casualties have occurred

The government will announce that British troops are to be replaced by some of the 20,000 US soldiers already in Helmand.

Out of the 312 British service personnel to have died in Afghanistan, more than 100 were killed in Sangin, the scene of some of the most intense fighting against the Taliban.

This looks like the begging of an overall British pull out.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

This can be spun many ways and I would like to think that at least our military leaders have an exit strategy that can be executed on when our political leaders ask them to.

With a US troop surge, they have the manpower so I guess it makes sense to put more boots on the ground, and the fact that Sangin region is now under command of an American General.

This does not mean with will be reducing the UK force size and of course, we have done the hard work in Sangin!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Mod Note: WOT Posting Conduct – Please Review Link.

[edit on 7/7/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

WOW.............................................

I disagree with the actions of the Government in ordering the invasion but to want the men and women of military killed for doing their duty and obeying orders, that is low even for the this website. It is real easy to post this stuff and hide behind a user name. How about saying such things are the next homecoming parade?

But I guess this is the advantage you have that very few in Afghanistan enjoy. The ability to disagree and not be killed or have your life threaten.

woodwardjnr, I know I have taken this thread off topic but could not let the comments go!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
OK I apologise for my comment its not what I really feel, I just get angry when people go on about the poor soldiers who are killed, when they are invading other people's lands for resources and territory! They dont question, they just blindly follow, and when people's lives are at stake this is simply not on.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

But the duty of our military is to obey orders, no matter how much we may disagree with those orders. We need to point any venom towards those who ordered our military in to action, but they seems to be able to avoid any direct blame.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Could they not be withdrawing these soldiers to make a move on or prepare for Iran?. If things are going to move towards Iran then this is what i think the UK would do, we'd withdraw from the area's we're less likely to succeed in and send them where theyre gonna be more in demand. Surely theres a way to find out what regiments/companies are there now and where they're going next, after a small R&R at home of course.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Ah, British and U.S. troops fighting side by side against an imaginary enemy. Gotta love the irony.

new topics

top topics

join