It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite network meant to save the planet could cost the earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Article

Russian astronomers have developed an innovative satellite network that would alert people when any space objects are on a collision course with the Earth. Some argue the system isn’t effective and is too expensive.

His team has developed IGMASS, a groundbreaking network of satellites and telescopes on different continents. The system would give advance warning of anything from space on course for a collision, meaning that action could be taken to save the Earth.

However, the proposed plan for a worldwide monitoring system has not been received enthusiastically. Critics say the price-tag for IGMASS could hit a meteoric $300 billion – and claim it will be a waste of money.

So as scientists say there is only a miniscule chance of a large asteroid hitting the Earth in the near future, it would appear that pumping billions of dollars into combating the problem is simply not worth it.

I always thought there was already a monitoring system. I guess this one is alot more advanced. Even though the chances of a large asteroid hitting Earth is small, it should still be somewhat of a concern. I honestly dont think it will happen anytime soon, but better safe than sorry.

If there was an advanced asteroid destruction/avertion system that would go along with IGMASS, that would be an even better package. Too bad $300 billion is hard to come by these days.....wait... actually its not that hard to come by anymore. ....well, atleast in the USA.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Dear buni11687

Yes there is some sort of a system run by the yanks. There men in a shoe box of an office monitoring the whole job. Anyway that was the last documentary that I have seen. There is also something that is coming our way in 2030 I think other will know it better.

The fact is there is no cash to prevent global extinction. It is always better to spend it on killing the emery, who ever they are dreamed up to be today.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

Do you mean the asteroid Apophis?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There is no system worth talking about. People assume there is because they see us detecting incoming objects in movies. They think 'surely somebody must be taking care of something essential to the survival of the species'.

Unfortunately they are not.

I'd like to do an alternative realistic version of 'Deep Impact'. Realistically we'd be extinct while they were still trying to agree the System Requirements Specification for the spacecraft we'd need.

The movie could end with the message 'sorry, we all died. If you prefer not to be extinct please lobby your representative'.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

Dear DragonsDemesne

Yes that is the one, but I think Bruce Willis will be getting a little long in the tooth to save the world by 2029 or 2036. Shame.

Too me it seams that our glorious leaders all have all their priorities up a dark hole in-between there buttocks.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Bankers need 500 billion, the world needs 300 billion.
Bankers got 500 billion, the world got nothing.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
There are some search systems in place, such as LINEAR:
www.ll.mit.edu...
Others included LONEOS, Catalina Sky Survey, and Spacewatch:
www.lowell.edu...
www.lpl.arizona.edu...
spacewatch.lpl.arizona.edu...
Generally speaking, these systems provide limited coverage. I'm not sure what kind of sky coverage is being proposed here, but usually these systems are designed to search in the most logical areas of the sky and thus leave blind spots. Amateurs tend to focus their searches in those blind spots in hopes of catching something the robotic surveys miss.

What's depressing is that some of these systems have been shut down after funding ran out, such as LONEOS. That's just inexcusable, these are vital defense systems.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by ngchunter]

new topics

top topics

join