It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Reasons why Britain is better than America

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Why do you americans have this obsession with fog in England? I saw more fog/mist in California in 2 weeks than I see in a year over here. I think you've been watching too many Sherlock Holmes movies. Maybe you're thinking of the smog of the early 20th century, caused by pollution. Either way, it's a myth these days.

I've been there (London) twice, each time for about two weeks, and all I can recall is that it was always gray without a cloud in the sky. May just be weird luck, I don't know, or maybe that there's even a brand name called "London Fog", who knows? (I think we even purchased some London Fog trench coats from Harrod's while we there...

We are and you just proved it, last I checked, Loch Ness was in Scotland, part of Great Britain.

You used the informal Britain vs. Great Britain, so I thought you meant England more, but yeah, I'll grant you that it's part of the U.K. Just that you have so many damn names for the place, instead of just one.

Wow, you really aren't very good at this geography (or history, it seems). Tolkein was inspired by the areas surrounding Birmingham, UK in the descriptions of The Shire and other areas whilst writing The Hobbit and TLOTR.

Regardless of the inspiration, it's a FICTIONAL place, so you're claiming what makes Britain so great is a fictional place? That's like claiming Antarctica is great because of Superman's house being there!

edit on 22-2-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Only been to London once myself, went to see the band Tool at Brixton academy, chucked it down the whole time we were there. I have to say though, fog is fairly rare, although it is up here in true England (up't North), you often get mist in the lakes, but I wouldn't call it fog, more of a make you incredibly wet and peeved off when you get out of your tent in the morning by the lakeside.
edit on 22/2/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by birdyat101

Ha ha love it. Number 37 you could also have used Caribbean. I say Ca-rib-be-an not Ca-ribb-ean

But we also have CHAVS

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by YJLTG

HA! You Brits make me laugh.
First of all, we won the war already ITS OVER, jealous? Back then you did not care about us all you cared about is a quick trip out of your 15th time in debt within 5 years and for our silver. Also you have some of the same people. Without us you would be speaking German right now (your welcome). You did not "create" English God did. I am sick of you lobster backs talking crap about us wile we are basically undefeated. We also have a better dental plan because you teeth are disgusting. When you say that we let 9/11 happen we can just say right back hey you let the plague happen because of your filthy streets. Also Brits so happen to always be self-center, rude, snobs. Your biggest prise is a clock
ours is a statue, a bridge, dam, and Hollywood. Also you guys suck at sports (just a side note). SO STAY OVER THE POND REDCOATS!!!!!! AND SHUT YOUR FLIPPEN MOUTH!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daderakiller
reply to post by YJLTG

... wile we are basically undefeated.

I don't think so sunbeam. The North Vietnamese and Viet Cong put a mighty dent in the armour of the US Military, I think I'd call their Russian and Chinese backed result against the massed ranks of US military might a victory.

You could argue that the US backed Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba was hardly a startling success.

Combined US and UK efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan have achieved little other than the death and maiming of many brave younf men and women serving their respective companies.

Look at the mess in Korea, a draw, and we all know hoe you chaps don't like a draw.

You also have a bad habit of turning up late for events, the WWI 1914-1918, WWII 1939-1945 (you could argue earlier with Japanese involvement in China and Korea), spring to mind,

Blind belief in the superiority of the US is very touching, all stood round hands on hearts, singing the national anthem, and chanting USA USA USA undoubtedly makes you all feel very good, but results don't always go your own way old chap. I am afraid you have to take the rough with the smooth, and the odd setback does happen, even when you have undoubted military superiority. We've learned that lesson the hard way. Although a lot of our problems stem from the picking our leaders from the upper classes because they're the right sort of chap, rather than being any good at what they are meant to be doing:

1. Crimea - Charge of the Light Brigade
  2. WWII - Singapore, massive capitulation
  3. WWI - Earl Haig trying to inch his drinks cabinet nearer to Berlin over the corpses of anyone and everyone
  4. WWII North Africa before Monty
  5. etc.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Dr Who is 41. Seriously.. 41. Should be #1.

Was Torchwood on the list.. i'll have to go back and check.

I am in love with the sexy sound of a English woman's voice. I want one or two. Reminds me Amy Pond should be on the list as #2.

Fish and Chips YAY !! However one day I'm going to make it over the pond and teach these people how to do fish and chips right. They use bland fish and chips and put ... of all things unhioly vinegar on it. I'll cook them up a mouth watering batch of Cajun seasoned crunchy battered fish and chips. Those Brits will go home and slap their momma's. - no kidding.

In fact, I think I'll call my restaurant " Slay Yo Mum Fish and Chips" It will make me a billionaire and my fish and chips will become the new standard - even replacing the British pound in value and as currency. - Seriously, you guys have no clue how to enjoy fish and chips.

Wait a minute.. the beloved English Fish and Chips didn't even make the list. Someone call M-I 5 because I think birdyat101 is a traitor.

edit on 19-2-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Well ofcourse says I. England has the Queen. And Queens always represent elegance beauty and grace.

They get more love then Kings.

Now we shall look upon the day that the King and Queen shall come forth from the borders that segregate them from each other. And shine their eternal light on the world.

For it is only right that the world be united under The United Kingdom & The United States.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Humans are not better than other humans based on their geographical location. This type of outlook on life is deconstructive. Why not both area's unite against the same global leaders that have us trapped in slavery?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Pentothal

I think the world could use a lil more Rod Hull, that was great, why isn't someone doing this to kayne west?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
arguably alot of the things on the list are also what make Great Britain annoying and #e !

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

I can't believe you put Dr. WHo way down at #41!

If Oswin wasn't on, you would have put it much higher, right?
Yep .... she's not growing on me at all.
edit on 8/21/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Just 50 reasons?

pffft!

The way America is going, anyone could start a thread titled, "Why Somolia is better than America"!

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

okay, slight comedy value but zzzzzzzzz

i could say more but whats the point, and i'm british.

Oh go on, a couple of word - The US aint all the #e that you find in their cities and media, i'd love to spend a goodly time in their wilderness and small towns, frikking heaps to appreciate there, beit the people or the land.

anyway, tally ho and carry on, what?

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join