It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[BBOT] Everything for a reason

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I’ve always said that everything happens for a reason, and only good can come of it. I lived my life by that mantra, and tried as hard as I could to pass on that thought pattern to those around me. I watched that mantra change people’s lives for the better, and I watched relationships grow an flourish because of it.

But I also remember the ONE time that I had the hardest time holding on to that. Though, in my heart I knew that those words held truth, at least for me, I really had a hard time convincing others, and there were moments that I began to doubt them myself, at least in regards to this horrific, devastating and catastrophic event.

Five years ago , April 20, 2010, the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded killing 11 men, and setting into motion a series of events that would test the skill, intellect, determination, and faith of thousands, if not millions that were affected by it.

The first two months were just the beginning.

I worked in a call center, processing insurance claims. Less than a month after the explosion, we had hired 150 additional employees to handle the calls that were coming in. BP had contacted my company to handle some of the calls, and we were fielding almost 3000 calls a day. For most of us that had been working there, it was a bit of a slap in the face. The “new” reps were making 1 and a half times what us “regular” employees were, and it sucked. Some of us were bitter and angry. I myself had to remind myself of the belief I lived by, even if it was hard to see at that moment.

But then, the reps handling these calls started relating the stories of heartbreak and heartache. We didn’t envy them much after that. It was a hard job to do, and it wasn’t surprising that a fair number of people couldn’t hack it.

I spent a good part of my evenings after work reading up and trying to stay current on what was happening, and what could happen. Many evenings I went to sleep with a heavy heart, and hoping that none of the worst case scenarios ever came to pass.

The hardest four weeks of my life started at the end of July.
One name many will never forget: ALEX.

Alex came barreling through the Gulf waters with unprecedented strength. It churned that mess of oil and methane and Corexit into a sludge that would wreak its havoc for nearly 500 miles.
Hurricanes were usually a blessing for us in the claims processing department, it meant work, it meant overtime, and for some of us it meant that we’d be able to pull ourselves a little further out of the financial pit that we’d be driven into.

I’d worked in the data entry department as an administrator triaging claims for four hurricane seasons, so I had pretty much seen it all, hail, wind, water damage claims.

I remember watching the storm warnings on The Weather Channel. I watched as the broadcasters braved the storms, being pelted with the hardest winds, hails and rains that had been seen since Katrina.

After the southern states took a beating, Alex headed up the east coast into my neck of the woods.

The worst nightmares had come to pass. Fear-mongers reveled in their ability to say “I told you so”.

There was so much devastation from the hurricane, but it wasn’t enough that we were coated in this oily muck that stunk and burned your eyes and nostrils, filling your mouth with the awful taste of ancient death, but the lightening storms that followed set everything in its path ablaze, fueled by the black gold we had become so dependent on, burning faster and brighter than anything any of us had ever seen. I was thankful for just the rain in the end.

continued...

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I worked 12 hour days for nearly 3 weeks just to stay on top of things. And every day when I would see someone silently letting a tear slip away, I would say to them “everything happens for a reason, only good will come of this”. Some would look at me, as if they were looking for hope, and I would walk away saying “know it, believe it, you will see”, as a silent tear slid down my cheek. I was having a hard time holding on, but hold on I did.

For days Gulf oil fires burned. They burned on the land, they burned in the waters. The skies were gray with smoke, the ground black with devastation.

Then, about 4 weeks after the storms a second grade student and his father wrote into BP suggesting an idea for capping of the wellhead. The project became known as Jason’s wall.

Jason said: “Build a wall around it, build it up and up and up until you get to the top of the water and then build a refinery on top of the wall”.

Somehow a simplistic idea from a child proved to be the only thing that would be successful in the end.

But there is more to this than death, because six weeks after the storms, in the grounds of black ash a new life started to spring forth. A simple flower that has turned out to be the salvation for many.

It started appearing about the same time Jason sent his idea into BP. A simple white flower started growing, and it started growing EVERYWHERE. Scientists had never seen it before, and its appearance, nearly overnight in the most devastated parts, was startling to say the least.

Had we only known that along with the oil an ancient spore containing the flower of life was spewing into the gulf. The Corexit and low levels of radiation literally rose it from the dead, separated its ancient confines, and it sprung forth renewing an ancient life.

Jason’s wall was completed in October of 2010. The wall is one mile in diameter, and contained most of the spill. Ports in the wall allow the oil to be siphoned off, and the refinery has just been completed. Today 5 years after the initial explosion the Deepwater Refinery will open. There is a ½ mile wide bed of white flowers that surround it.

We still don’t know what this flower is capable of, but we do know that people are getting healthier than they have ever been. Where ever these flowers are planted, the air is cleaner, people are healthier, and the world just seems like a happier more peaceful place.

Many of the people I used to work with have moved on to better things, better lives and every time they say their goodbyes, they stop by my desk and place one of these white flowers, as a reminder that in some of our darkest hours, I chose to believe that something good would come out of it all.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh

nice .... really nice. Now I wish you were a prophet not just a writer.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Thank you!

Funny thing is that I haven't written anything of substance for nearly 10 years, and the whole reason was because what I was writing at the time (poetry) was becoming prophetic in nature... LOL

It would be nice to have this be a vision instead of just a story. The hard part would be getting there!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Man this is such a change from the dread we equate this disaster with. A glimmer of hope. You have made me imagine a good 'reason' for this disaster. To bring us some ancient life wielding flower that, in the long run, benefits mankind. Awesome, and I mean absolutely awesome, idea here my friend. Thank you for this awesome story and bringing a glimmer of hope to the situation, even if it is fiction. Big S+F.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Brings a beautiful change

Awesome!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Sorry your comment was the first I got. I was ok, I mean I didn't get bored and could imagine it. I used to write poems, but I spent 1 or 2 years on a long poem that only I can make rime. So I sort of quit.

I like to read book with action not descriptions and your story was great that way. Check out my latest thread you might be able to contribute
and get some more practice at writing.

wanted this to be a profile comment, but you haven't allowed that feature to be used yet.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well.......That turned out to be a very pleasant read. First thoughts of another doom and gloomer, turned into a big smile for me. THANKS for that. :-)
Rob

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Cool twist. I loved it.
Well done.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
A different approach with a wonderfully positive feeling of humanity. I enjoyed this very much.

Thank you!

Mike

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
If I had access to those white flowers, I would give you a bouquet! Awesome story line and well written!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I want to thank everyone for their kind words. I am more than happy to give a "positive vibe", a smile and hope...it's what I do! LOL.

I haven't written anything of substance in a long time, and having so much positive feedback I am looking forward to the NEXT contest.

new topics

top topics

join