It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aspergers and 'Aspergia' >:(

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
So, I am diagnosed with this condition, AS WELL as doing my best to function in society, and not see people as book covers & thats it.

In the last 5 years or so an almost cult like group of 'aspies' has sprung up, driven on by so called Autism rights, which in their terms is a seperate charter of rights allowing people with Autism to be assholes and get away with it scott-free. They think people diagnosed with AS should be able to get away with crimes, be allowed special privilages and be 'looked up to' simply because they've been told they have the condition.

Aspergia was, and probably still is a fantastical group of such people, who wish to create their own Neurotypical (anyone without AS) free society. My fiance, soon to be husband is a so called 'NT', and that is some sort of mortal sin among this closed group. They did have a website, which was covered in symbols and contained weird material (mostly fantasy stuff about a place called Aspergia where only 'aspies' can live).

I used to belong to a forum called aspies for freedom, until I realised what it was, it's basicaly ground zero of this so called movement, they call themselves Aspergians and preach these really freaky, weird ideals.

The fact is, if they don't want to be called freaks, and they want this acceptance they so desperatly seek, then they should stop all the hairy fairy fantasies.

This is just one of the many obscure threads on the forum:
www.aspiesforfreedom.com...

The old Aspergia site: www.aspergia.com... nothing there now but some kind of symbol that looks like a rune of some sort.

They used to talk all the time about an island, soley populated by 'aspies', if you want a lol, look into it.

You will probably tell me they have a right to be weird or whatever, perhaps they do, but then they shouldn't expect the world to accept them as they want to be accepted, it doesn't work like that.

Believe me, stinks of kool aid....

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Wow, I'm really surprised this isn't posted on ATS vs BTS.

I hear ya. The only way I can say I relate or know a shred about the topic is my own experience. My daughter is diagnosed with asperbergs or even perhaps further down the Autism said spectrum.

That said, I don't allow her 'special' prevliages or a pass on bad behaviour. She's a great kid but when she gets over stimulated things can become overwhelming to the point of her acting out. As a parent, I feel it's my job to assist her in dealing with these symptoms and impulses to better prepare her for her future.

Of course, the doctors wanted to put her on meds from age 3. I totally was not accepting of this for numerous reasons. For one, they still don't even know what these meds do long term to a growing brain. Most of all, again my duty as a parent is to help her with this process not create a zombie. I gave in when they said it would help her in school to better concentrate. You know where this is going don't you? It turned her into a lil demon! She was not my daughter and even she knew something wasn't normal. She stated the Leprechan came and stole her brain.
I took her off it immediately.

It can cause a symptom called disinhibition - where a child will know it's wrong to do something like throw a baseball through a window but still be unable to stop himself. So a lot of these people you mention wanting to get off scott free for bad behavior, I have to wonder who made who. And who did not accept responsibility and teach the child therefore they don't have responsibility.

I'm not insensitive to the needs of others. Just merely that I think as a society, starting with the family, we need to stop leaning on the government/establishment to solve our problems and take action and accountability for ourselves and our children.

[edit on 6/26/2010 by Whisper67]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I read a post somewhere that a Psychologist said they thought that Obama may have a very mild form of Aspergers.

I am not sure why they said that it was from just observation I suppose.

My sons friend has it and I always thought he was a thoughtless @sshole then I realized he did not know he was being one.

Very intelligent young man that has kind of figured it out since he has gotten older and had more life experiences.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
Wow, I'm really surprised this isn't posted on ATS vs BTS.

I hear ya. The only way I can say I relate or know a shred about the topic is my own experience. My daughter is diagnosed with asperbergs or even perhaps further down the Autism said spectrum.

That said, I don't allow her 'special' prevliages or a pass on bad behaviour. She's a great kid but when she gets over stimulated things can become overwhelming to the point of her acting out. As a parent, I feel it's my job to assist her in dealing with these symptoms and impulses to better prepare her for her future.

Of course, the doctors wanted to put her on meds from age 3. I totally was not accepting of this for numerous reasons. For one, they still don't even know what these meds do long term to a growing brain. Most of all, again my duty as a parent is to help her with this process not create a zombie. I gave in when they said it would help her in school to better concentrate. You know where this is going don't you? It turned her into a lil demon! She was not my daughter and even she knew something wasn't normal. She stated the Leprechan came and stole her brain.
I took her off it immediately.

It can cause a symptom called disinhibition - where a child will know it's wrong to do something like throw a baseball through a window but still be unable to stop himself. So a lot of these people you mention wanting to get off scott free for bad behavior, I have to wonder who made who. And who did not accept responsibility and teach the child therefore they don't have responsibility.

I'm not insensitive to the needs of others. Just merely that I think as a society, starting with the family, we need to stop leaning on the government/establishment to solve our problems and take action and accountability for ourselves and our children.

[edit on 6/26/2010 by Whisper67]

I considered posting it on ATS, but all my threads are being trolled at the moment, so I figured the people harrassing me might not come here, heh.

I try to post about things of interest, and that there are no previous threads about if I start a new thread. It's mainly the '6,700 posts gives me the right to do whatever I like' crew, and a few wannabe mods.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude
I read a post somewhere that a Psychologist said they thought that Obama may have a very mild form of Aspergers.

I am not sure why they said that it was from just observation I suppose.

My sons friend has it and I always thought he was a thoughtless @sshole then I realized he did not know he was being one.

Very intelligent young man that has kind of figured it out since he has gotten older and had more life experiences.

I started life the very same way, I'd like to think I'm pretty nice now though

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I don't think my little brother (who is now about 20) has been properly diagnosed with aspergers syndrome but my mom swears up and down that he has it (along with a diagnosis of ADHD, she thinks she has them too) and I feel my mom has not only allowed but taught him how to use this as an excuse to misbehave and to not better himself and has became one of these people who is always preaching autism rights. Anytime my bro would get in trouble (big trouble) in school she would threaten the school with court saying they couldn't punish him because of his issues. He lives at home and is totally interdependent on her because he hasn't been taught to rise above and work with these issues. My mom also uses AS and ADHD to not work and live off the government.

I know that there are plenty of adults with these issues that live independent and fulfilling lives and it is sad that people feel the need to use them as excuses to further themselves down a downward spiral.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
I don't think my little brother (who is now about 20) has been properly diagnosed with aspergers syndrome but my mom swears up and down that he has it (along with a diagnosis of ADHD, she thinks she has them too) and I feel my mom has not only allowed but taught him how to use this as an excuse to misbehave and to not better himself and has became one of these people who is always preaching autism rights. Anytime my bro would get in trouble (big trouble) in school she would threaten the school with court saying they couldn't punish him because of his issues. He lives at home and is totally interdependent on her because he hasn't been taught to rise above and work with these issues. My mom also uses AS and ADHD to not work and live off the government.

I know that there are plenty of adults with these issues that live independent and fulfilling lives and it is sad that people feel the need to use them as excuses to further themselves down a downward spiral.

I use to believe I had the ability to work too, except my most recent job was a mascot 2 years ago, and none of my recent volunteer experience matters. Is your mom qualified? If not then I can see her argument. But if she has qualifications then she has a better chance at getting a job than I do. But I do understand what your mom's case is. I've done bad things, but it was only because I wasn't told different and I had to make a ruckus before I knew what I was doing wrong. Not only that, but lots of companies filter us aspies out now..

top topics

join