It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buddha Quotes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maya00a
"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!" - The quote is attributed to Zen Master Linji.

It basically means.......

whatever your conception is of the Buddha, it’s WRONG! Now kill that image and keep practicing. This all has to do with the idea that reality is an impermanent illusion. If you believe that you have a correct image of what it means to be Enlightened, then you need to throw out (kill) that image and keep meditating.

Edit to add: I also love the Mahatma Gandhi quote in my signature as I don't believe something is a mistake as long as it's learned from and not repeated. Instead of a mistake it becomes a lesson.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by Maya00a]

That's the first lesson from the Tao te Ching. Those who speak it do not know, those who do not speak it know.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
There is pleasure. There is bliss. Forgo the first to possess the second. - The Buddha

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
"It is time to speak your Truth. Create your community, be good to each other. And do not look outside yourself for the leader. This could be a good time! ~ "There is a river flowing now very fast. It is so great and swift that there are those who will be afraid. They will try to hold onto the shore. They will feel they are being torn apart and will suffer greatly. Know the river has its own destination. ~ The Elders say we must let go of the shore, push off into the middle of the river, keep our eyes open and our heads above water. And I say, see who is in there with you and celebrate."
— Hopi Elder Prayer

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
This is a personal favourite and I have previously posted it on my profile:

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions,
even though they have been held in honour
for many generations and in diverse places.

Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it.

Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past.

Do not believe what you yourself have imagined,
persauding yourself that a God inspires you.

Believe nothing on the sole authority
of your masters and priests.

After examination, believe what you yourself
have tested and found to be reasonable,
and conform your conduct thereto.

∞ BUDDHA

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Found another one:

When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.

That's exactly how I have reacted in past, actually..

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Good stuff guys/gals!

There are many kinds of richness, and the man who is rich because of money is the lowest as far as the categories of richness are concerned. Let me say it in this way: the man of wealth is the poorest rich man. Looked at from the side of the poor, he is the richest poor man. Looked at from the side of a creative artist, of a dancer, of a musician, of a scientist, he is the poorest rich man. And as far as the world of ultimate awakening is concerned he cannot even be called rich. - Osho

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
"It is better to do nothing Than to do what is wrong. For whatever you do, you do to yourself. "
- Buddha
edit on 23-11-2010 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

Great thread,

1, Live is suffering
2 Suffering is caused by craving or wanting things/emotions
3 There is an answer to the above but you must show determination to find it
4 This is the answer to becoming awakened

This is called the 4 noble truths.

1. Right View
2. Right Intention
3. Right Speech
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right Effort
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration

This is called the 8-fold path.

Right concentration breaks down into 4 or 8 states of meditation or jhana or absorption or IMHO hypnosis, the similarities between the state of hypnosis and its deeper counter part the hypnotic coma are described in exactly the same way, the reason confusion occurs is because people either don't know much about Buddhism or much about hypnosis but that's off-topic.

Once the right levels of meditation are achieved there are the last two steps, understanding the whole and then living life fully this way.

The path to awakening is clearly laid out and its often said that he person who proclaims to know the truth does not, but the Buddha proclaimed he is enlightening and possessor of the truth and is happy to help others.

I'm surprised that these key lessons have not been mentioned but there you go

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. The Buddha.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

WHAT DID THE Buddhist say to the pizza chef? “Make me one with everything.”

“A Zen master once said to me, ‘Do the opposite of whatever I tell you.’ So I didn't.”

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mez353

WHAT DID THE Buddhist say to the pizza chef? “Make me one with everything.”

The Buddhist then hnads a £50 note to the pizza chef, who takes it without saying a word. There is a short silence, before the Buddhist asks "could I have my change please?". The pizza chef replies: "change comes from within."

Anyway, my contibution to this thread is 'Judge not, lest ye be judged', said by Jesus allegedly.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

If you believe nothing then how do you function? Even using language is belief in something, an agreement of meanings behind words.

Also if you act like this world is not real you wouldn't even bother eating. How do you enjoy life if nothing is real?

How do you say nothing is real when your suffering extreme physical pain?

The biggest illusion is "you" ,when you dissolve your ego, nothing is real,only as it is,and it will pass.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
YYYYYYYYY: Good info, however the OP states this is for "Buddha Quotes" or at least Buddha like quotes. Do you have any?

Understand that the body Is merely the foam of a wave, The shadow of a shadow. - Buddha

edit on 24-11-2010 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The Title of Salman Rushdies's latest work ...... 'Buddha ya Fat Bastard!'

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
My solution of a known koan was removed by moderators...

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   

yeah I know what you mean and I've just found the source

docs.google.com...:p1tXTRG2PgIJ:www.bps.lk/olib/bl/bl001.pdf+Dhammacakkappavattana&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiH7C4riUXL3OY Za8XMO31Zg7-IxS2SIxg0SM_fy5ZiI9o4xQ6wgDWlXu125qeSSjovkaTq5cNmVjB4KC-CdW1PqwAT5kE45WcJwiYVa7aaXru1rDgm6fPKkD4vqT3pRCUQ8kcV&sig=AHIEtbRRwAMgtjFzPm_koOYU T6oN4chO5g page 3 and google for more

It's from the sutta Dhammacakkappavattana,

I've basically given the quote, it just does not look like a quote.

"The Tathagata is not one for excess... I will give instruction, I will teach the Truth. If you practice as instructed then soon you will come to live, having experienced and attained for yourselves through direct knowledge the ultimate goal of the spiritual life for the sake of which the sons of families quite rightly go forth from home into homelessness" the Buddha

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I'm still in the process of reading the Tao Te Ching but here is a favorite little part so far:

When people see some things as beautiful,
other things become ugly.
When people see some things as good,
other things become bad.

Being and non-being create each other.
Difficult and easy support each other.
Long and short define each other.
High and low depend on each other.
Before and after follow each other.

Therefore the Master
acts without doing anything
and teaches without saying anything.
Things arise and she lets them come;
things disappear and she lets them go.
She has but doesn't possess,
acts but doesn't expect.
When her work is done, she forgets it.
That is why it lasts forever.

Colors blind the eye.
Sounds deafen the ear.
Flavors numb the taste.
Thoughts weaken the mind.
Desires wither the heart.

The Master observes the world
but trusts his inner vision.
He allows things to come and go.
His heart is open as the sky.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
"He who has to walk with fools has a long journey of sorrow,
because to be with a fool is as painful as to be with an enemy;
but the joy of being with the wise is like the joy of meeting a beloved kinsman. "

The Buddha, in the Dhammapada

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join