It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killing the oceans makes it easier to get the oil?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I’ve noticed a couple other people asking this same question. How?

Isn’t the oil on the homepage the exact same oil that the oil companies want? So that they can make money? So how does killing the oceans make it EASIER to get the oil?

I guess I’m looking for an answer from the people who decided that was a fair statement and how they determined it. I cannot see the logic behind this statement, but maybe it is there?

[edit on 24-6-2010 by worlds_away]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
And this has absolutely ZERO to do with BP.

Just wanted to clear that up....

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Does no one else ask themselves this question and go HUH?

How in the world does it make sense????

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It doesn’t even make sense in a sarcastic way or any way that I can think of.

I only ask because I figure if one person is asking the question than probably more people are too. Or maybe not, maybe everyone else understands why it makes sense.... but then I should get an answer... shouldn’t I?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Ummm I thought it was more or less saying, destroy the ocean and then there is nothing stopping you from drill, drill, drilling anywhere you want since its already screwed and you dont need to spend all that money on environmental safegaurds.

Pretty simple really?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
We would still have the enviromental safeguards in place so that the ocean could recover. We would not stand for abandoning them. Your premise is flawed.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Well that only makes sense if you think that is what they are doing.

I really do not think that “they” are that smart.

The "Killing the oceans” part works, since they do not have to be smart to do that. But add in “makes it easier to get the oil” and the statement falls apart.....

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
i disaggree with the banner on the ats home page

i found there were two threads that were discussing efforts to either remove it, or debating it it some critical way, one of which was closed and moved to BTS, the other disappeared?

anyways i could find no where to discuss the banner on ATS, which is strange, because although someone does actually OWN ats.. no one person created it, ATS is the creation of the ats community, all the threads within ATS are created by our community and we are ATS

with that said, i thought it was strange that people would start to discuss wether it was "OK" to put that banner on the home page, only to have the discussion stoped by the ats mods and ended before it was even a half dozen pages long

my point being a little off topic at first, but if you think about it: although i do not own ATS, and neither do ATS's members, the banner on the home page does in fact represent all of us, so shouldn't we at least get to discuss it?

my personal opinion is that the baner is a misrepresentation of our community as a whole. sure, there are people out there livid at this oil mess that have no problem shoving that banner into people's eyes, but for the rest of us, myself included, we know the the rabbit hole goes deeper, for instance, BP is not singular in the worldly oil dependace, and if there is going to be a banner that represents an emotion against the companies and systems that created the perfect world and conditions for this mess to occur ( massive nations addicted to oil instead of alternative fuels, companies disregarding safety precautions etc.) then the banner should at least sound a little more educated and mature, as well as accussing the right people and informing it's reader correctly

so to clarify exactly how that is 100% on topic, i'd like to mention that, yes, i too am under no understanding how the home page banner makes sense... killing the oceans really doesn't make getting oil easier, logically

i think the banner was made in a summation of everyone's most simple emotions regarding the subject, and that's how it came out

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

You said it better than me.

I really hope someone who helped create the banner or decided it’s wording will be able to present the reasoning behind it.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
It's called Satirical Comedy.....The person who created the logo was pointing out the...."mindset" of BIG OIL companies like BP and others.....They could care less about marine animals and the ocean....Only about making a buck..................

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I think the other reason it really irks me is because it is extremely negative.

And it is not the only issue here on ATS. To choose one issue over the others to “promote” on the homepage is (not my business). But arrghhh!

I think it shows ATS as predominantly American, that is what I get from it. Mostly because the Gulf of Mexico leak is a predominantly American issue.

And the only way we know the banner is linked to be Gulf of Mexico leak is the BP logo.

It is not as if oil spills and leaks didn’t happen in the ocean before this. But now it is in America’s backyard swimming pool.

Sorry this is so choppy... can’t think straight...

Still trying to find the logic.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ElijahWan

Honestly I tried to see it from that angle. I’m not the village idiot.

If satirical comedy is what that is.... it is poorly written.

I wonder if they were just going to put “Killing the oceans” and then for liability reasons, because they are also using a “BP” logo, poorly added the second line to try and make it make sense?

I dunno.... walking away from the screen....

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by worlds_away

exactly, it's extremely negative... and simple, something that a street punk would say in a rageful retort to someone " F*** THE SYSTEM, MAN!" "KILL THE OCEAN TO GET THE OIL! "

both those 'slogans' use the same tactic to get their message accross: extreme emotion on the subject, extreme simplicity in the message (comes across as something with little forethought to it's creation) and although it seems to be pointing a finger, i'd like to point out again that the finger is not really being pointed at everyone involved

and also i'd like to point out that anyone accessing ATS for the first time would be sadly misinformed of the conciousness that makes up ATS apon seeing that quote...

we at ATS discuss the oil spill, debate those responsible, talk about solutions, conspiracies involved and etc... we certainly approach it in an educated and intelligent way ( most of us ), but we definitely don't hear about the oil spill and turn into temper tantrum 5 year olds and come out with the sarcastic ' KILL THE OCEANS TO GET THE OIL ' ... it just isn't ATS
in my opinion, even if it does get all of our most simple and strongest emotions out

a more accurate banner would read something like

" BP: the scapegoat in a whole arrangement of big wigs with no regard for mother earth "

new topics

top topics

join