It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul to long-term jobless: Just go back to work

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

The government needs to do something to get our jobs back. Tariff all goods that come from countries that have slave-like labor costs and after a period of time the factories will start to return. We do not need more cheap crap from the east when the ultimate exchange in the long run will be everyone will be poor. We need to make a stand and demand this.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the only viable solution.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I think the point is that a lot of well-off people who had nice paying jobs, lost them. Those people refuse to work at a fast food restaurant because it won't pay as much as their unemployment, and because it is lower on the social scale. They have too much pride to get a job like that.

The poor people who just live on welfare and food stamps, yet can afford new shoes and manicures and cigarettes and booze, those aren't the people I think Rand is talking about. Those people will swear at you if you tell them to get a job.

Everyone needs to get a job, whether its a paper route, or being the CEO of a corporation. If you apply at every business you can find, every day, I will wager money you will get a job sooner than later. Fact of the matter is, a lot of people who were making over 60k a year don't want to work for 20k.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
I think the point is that a lot of well-off people who had nice paying jobs, lost them. Those people refuse to work at a fast food restaurant because it won't pay as much as their unemployment, and because it is lower on the social scale. They have too much pride to get a job like that.

The poor people who just live on welfare and food stamps, yet can afford new shoes and manicures and cigarettes and booze, those aren't the people I think Rand is talking about. Those people will swear at you if you tell them to get a job.

Everyone needs to get a job, whether its a paper route, or being the CEO of a corporation. If you apply at every business you can find, every day, I will wager money you will get a job sooner than later. Fact of the matter is, a lot of people who were making over 60k a year don't want to work for 20k.

Applying at every business you can find every day will cost you a LOT of gas money.

Years ago when my daughter was younger I did go out applying about every day. I applied at most places repeatedly! But they all wanted me to work nights and weekends. ALL of the day cares were only open M-F 6:30am to 6pm. Since it was not only unsafe but AGAINST THE LAW to leave a toddler/young child home alone while you work, I was unable to land any job for YEARS.

I lost my regular job I finally got when my daughter was older couple years ago. I have applied everywhere constantly. I keep getting turned down. It has cost a lot of gas money to keep looking. I even applied out of town to no avail. And almost every job I have applied for is a minimum wage job, so I definitely didn't think it was beneath me.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

Applying at every business you can find every day will cost you a LOT of gas money.

Years ago when my daughter was younger I did go out applying about every day. I applied at most places repeatedly! But they all wanted me to work nights and weekends. ALL of the day cares were only open M-F 6:30am to 6pm. Since it was not only unsafe but AGAINST THE LAW to leave a toddler/young child home alone while you work, I was unable to land any job for YEARS.

I lost my regular job I finally got when my daughter was older couple years ago. I have applied everywhere constantly. I keep getting turned down. It has cost a lot of gas money to keep looking. I even applied out of town to no avail. And almost every job I have applied for is a minimum wage job, so I definitely didn't think it was beneath me.

I'm sorry to hear about all that. It sounds like it definitely took it's toll on you.

I understand it can cost a lot of gas to travel, but I have been in the situation where I had no vehicle. I had to walk and use public transportation to apply to every job I could find. Eventually I got 3. And that paid the bills.

I also understand about the child/work situation. I work in advertising, and I know there are child care centers that are open for parents who work third shift, you just have to look for them. Furthermore, many jobs have child care centers located in the facility. And as a last resort, and seeing that child care is EXPENSIVE, you have family and friends for a reason. To help you in your time of need.

I'm not saying everyone thinks a minimum wage job is beneath them, but people who make 60k a year (many of whom lost their jobs due to the economic crisis we're affected by) have a social standard they're used to. Not only that, but they have an economic standard they're used to.

Humans are one thing for certain, and that is resilient. The old saying goes, "Where there is a will, there is a way."

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Its them lazy people who's being lazy, cause if you ain't have a job yous lazy.

Just like if yous make less money at a job yous stupider than the man who making more.

God bless America!!!

And god bless Rand Paul, a true hearo and thinking man!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by LoneGunMan

The government needs to do something to get our jobs back. Tariff all goods that come from countries that have slave-like labor costs and after a period of time the factories will start to return. We do not need more cheap crap from the east when the ultimate exchange in the long run will be everyone will be poor. We need to make a stand and demand this.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the only viable solution.

Just like a lazy person. Why don't we just let Osama, Stalin and Hitler take over the Wight House??? Oh, we did!

You just wanna punish hard working people for working hard and reward lazy, lazy people for being lazy.

I can't weight til Rand Paul is President!!!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Rand must have been spending too much hitting the pipe! There are NO jobs - anywhere! Not where I live at least. Heck, I have 3 college degrees and applied for a job with Lowes - didn't even get a call for an interview. A friend who works there said that they wouldn't interview people with college degrees because they're afraid those people will leave when the economy improves and they don't want the expense of hiring and training again.

Tried to get a gig in telemarketing - same thing.

All of you people spouting off at the mouth about how lazy we unemployed people are, are the people fortunate enough to have a decent job - FOR NOW. It's easy to be cavalier when it's not you that has to take the crap job and still provide for your family. Keep the preaching to yourself!

Hell ya Kazmo, your homeboys are awesome a? Stab you in a heart beat cause they are to lazy to wear their glasses, high horses and flags to them, good luck to you.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Hmmm, I think you are totally off the mark here. Where is 'around here' may I ask? Because we have Meier's here in Ohio. And we have horrendous unemployment throughout the state. Same goes for Michigan. And I am still seeing people turning down the seasonal jobs because they pay "crap" and are below what they are used to doing for a living.

So, what Rand is saying is that it is better to make something on your own rather than sitting at home WAITING for something to land in your lap while having everyone else pay your wages.

Believe me, I sympathize with anyone out of work right now. I have been there. I was on the system for a couple weeks myself. I took a job at a DQ which was WAY below what I was used to doing as a project manager at a telecommunications consulting/engineering firm. But I landed on my feet and felt better about myself for going out and working for $7 an hour instead of taking money from the government when they should be giving it back to the people that paid it to them in the first place.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Don't get a job.

Get a gig.

I have been a freelance carpenter my entire adult life. I've never been "unemployed" for any prolonged period of time. Sometimes I have to work for $8 dollars an hour, sometimes I contract something that takes 3 days but only pays $100... but I shrug and move on. Sometimes I make $600 in a day. This week I'm installing shadow boxes on the dining room ceiling of a family member's house... for free; pro bono. When I'm done I can take pictures for my portfolio and sell the same thing to someone else for $500 in the future.

I'm with Rand Paul: Just go back to work.

To WORK you are entitled, never its FRUIT. - Bhagavad Gita

I am,
Sri Oracle

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Also go to places like ELANCE.com, where you can get a job today.

They have programming work, writing work, etc available. In the THOUSANDS.

I find work through that website pretty easily quite often. In fact more work than I can handle.

And it pays really well also.

People ignore the new job markets that are emerging, like Internet work.

There is countless opportunities for work/money through the Net.

You don't have a job??
www.elance.com...
Go get one today.

I put it right on your plate. You can't complain now!

There are thousands of openings and all you have to do is sit right there at your computer and hit buttons all day.

You get 10 free "bids" per month, that you can "bid" on projects. Use them wisely, as if you waste them you have to pay like 10$ for 20 more bids or something. Also Elance will take like a 5% cut of everything you make.

Still though, I have lived and afford food by writing stuff through this work-website.

BINGO!
And as a matter of fact, I've probably hired you in the past!
:-)

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Sad and pathetic.. perhaps you could add more next time than some ignorant rhetoric trying to imitate others like an asshat. Then again.. I doubt you could manage it.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Janky Red

Sad and pathetic.. perhaps you could add more next time than some ignorant rhetoric trying to imitate others like an asshat. Then again.. I doubt you could manage it.

I know the story, I read the thread, same crap over and over... But I reckon you and your testosterone ridden ego should dictate who and how one should comment upon
this extreme idiocy, a? And no, I don't think I could manage another attempt at discussing and arguing the obvious with people who are indoctrinated by Elite French Economic theory from the 1700's. I think it is clear that this high and mighty Patriotic, Freedom Bald eagle talk rarely intersects with reality, so no Puck, I can't manage another go. Why don't you go throttle up a kitten for fun?

V

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Hmmm, I think you are totally off the mark here. Where is 'around here' may I ask? Because we have Meier's here in Ohio. And we have horrendous unemployment throughout the state. Same goes for Michigan. And I am still seeing people turning down the seasonal jobs because they pay "crap" and are below what they are used to doing for a living.

I applied everywhere. I have interviewed at Meijer's three times because I kept putting in applications and kept not being offered a job. It kept going to someone else. That was in Lexington, KY which is a large town with lots of businesses. I went and hit every strip mall, fast food place, etc. I have not received a job offer. It's been about two years since I lost my job. I have burned a lot of gas money and time on the computer on the job hunt too. I cannot afford it anymore. My savings is burning out and I'll be homeless in a few more months. They're jacking the rent way up on my apartment and I haven't been able to get anyone to rent to me elsewhere because I have no job. I've been preparing for this by selling off my stuff I'm not using and boxing up other stuff I'm not using right away but that I know I will.

I almost got hired at a DQ once. He told me he'd give me a job, but said he couldn't then because I didn't have a food handler's permit. So, I went to the health department, paid the money, and took the test. Scored 100 on it. Went back with the food handler's permit and he still wouldn't give me the job. So I basically called his bluff and still didn't get hired. That was in Richmond, KY.

Richmond, KY is a small congested college town. About all there is here are fast food or retail minimum wage jobs. I kept getting told I am "overqualified." There are a lot more people here than there are jobs. People I went to college with as an undergrad had to move away to find employment, but that was before the economy tanked.

I haven't ever turned down a job offer. Everything I applied for mostly was minimum wage jobs or jobs that paid just a little more than that.

I filed for disability recently. Still waiting a decision from that. It'll take a lot of stress off if I get approved. I have a lot of severe health problems.

The equestrian games are supposed to bring temp jobs to the area so that'll help some people out.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join