It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please recommend a true translation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I would be most grateful if someone would recommend a true english translation of the Quran and details of where I can source it.
I am concerned to get a true translation if such a thing is possible as I am well aware that the Christian Bible has been manipulated and adulterated in translation to achieve ends other than the true purpose of the writings.
Thank you

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by IMOVERHERE

Hello,

Have you seen this link? I'm not too sure if this is what you mean. It's in English, but I don't know anything about it's accuracy...

www.islamicity.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Thanks, I'll take a look

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
To translate is to kill, as the saying goes. Unfortunately, the source text is in pre-modern Arabic, which is not a living language. So, for any living person to read the thing at all is to translate it.

I would recommend a scholar's translation. At least the ax-grinding is kept to a dull roar. This is the online one I use for most purposes:

quod.lib.umich.edu...

As with the Bible, if there is some reason to sweat the translation of a specific verse, then compare translations for that verse. At least that gives you some idea of the possible senses.

A good multiple translation, IMO, is this one

www.usc.edu...

but it is less suitable for reading through than the Michigan transaltion.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
My understanding is that, unlike the Bible or holy books of other religions, the Koran is not considered to be the "real" Koran unless its in Arabic. So you have to go to it, rather than asking it to come to you; i.e., you have to learn Arabic if you want the "true" Koran. All translations are by definition approximations.

Not being a Muslim, I'm not 100% sure if this is true, but I do recall reading it in a fairly reliable source years ago.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Hi, first i recommend you use the following site as a source of translation of the Koran www.quranonline.net...

The concept of lost in translation is somewhat relevant here. There has been a movie of the same name but the seriousness of matter becomes more prevalent once it involves a larger magnitude such as the bible, koran and other important you might say ideological statutes.

the english translation of the koran as in the above source will give you an understanding of what is being said. the power of the english words used to express this understanding will be limited by how rich the word is, and how corrupted the word has become. the purity of the english word is critical as any connotations will likely throw you off track. That mentioned the above source will be more than enough to capture what is being said. the depth of the spectrum is much more but that would only be required if you intend to channel into a very detailed cause, therefore you can be content that what you are reading is good to go. try also another source for general information www.MuslimsIn.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by IMOVERHERE

I would worry more about mojammed being adulterated (Jesus was not a murderer or pedophiliac) and first resurrected from the dead I heard Him audibly as if sitting beside me on the left one night as soon as I opened the cover of a small green Gideon NT (that a chick left on the bar a few days earlier) He said-my name, I am Jesus I died for your sins believe in Me and you will never perish-I stood to my feet turned towards the voice and said yes Lord

new topics

top topics

join