It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Oil spill ‘echoes 9/11,’ will change America’s course

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Obama: Oil spill ‘echoes 9/11,’ will change America’s course

President Barack Obama says that the Gulf of Mexico oil spill disaster "echoes 9/11" in its power to change the course of American history.

“In the same way that our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy was shaped profoundly by 9/11, I think this disaster is going to shape how we think about the environment and energy for many years to come,” Obama said in an interview with Politico's Roger Simon.

Politico reports:

Obama — facing mounting criticism of his handling of the BP gusher, even from longtime allies — vowed to make a “bold” push for a new energy law even as the calamity continues to unfold. And he said he will use the rest of his presidency to try to put the United States on a course toward a “new way of doing business when it comes to energy.”

In his firmest declaration yet that he views the calamity as an impetus to push Congress afresh to pass a major energy and climate bill, Obama vowed to “move forward in a bold way in a direction that finally gives us the kind of future-oriented, … visionary energy policy that we so vitally need and has been absent for so long..”

“One of the biggest leadership challenges for me going forward is going to be to make sure that we draw the right lessons from this disaster,” he said.

The White House announced Sunday that the president will hold a televised address to the nation on Tuesday evening to discuss the oil spill.

It is comparatively rare for presidents to use the formal setting of a prime-time televised address from the White House. Such addresses are often reserved for moments of national crises, including wars and disasters.

Obama has yet to give an Oval Office address to the American people, though it has not been decided yet whether he will appear at the presidential desk flanked by US flags in that setting on Tuesday evening.

The Obama administration also stepped up the pressure on BP, demanding it set up an escrow account to pay individuals and businesses hit by the disaster and calling for an independent panel to oversee the claims process.

Obama's address and the more stringent demands of BP suggest a concerted effort to be more aggressive on the disaster as angry Americans are confronted by disturbing images of oiled birds and toxic crude spoiling fragile wetlands.

BP has failed several times to seal the flow and the first relief well that could provide a permanent solution is not predicted to be ready until the second week of August at the earliest.

A containment system is siphoning up some 15,000 barrels of oil a day to the surface via a mile-long pipe but flow estimates indicate the same amount of crude could still being leaking into the Gulf and feeding the giant spill.

The US Coast Guard has given BP until Sunday to fine-tune plans to increase the capacity of its "top hat" oil capture system amid fears of a time lapse while oil processing vessels are rotated.

Businesses in the Gulf region, ranging from fishing to tourism, are suffering. Some workers are finding temporary employment with BP to help in the clean-up effort, but longer-term prospects are bleak.

Read the full article here
&
Politico reports - Obama: Gulf spill 'eachoes 9/11'

I know I know... ATS is filled with articles on oil right now, however one thing has seemed to be missing from all of this chaos - the political ramifications. I know it's been brought up, but not focused on at all - and for good reason; as read in the article it talks about the wildlife/marine life that is dying out along with businesses/jobs which are top priority.

But seriously, has Barack been doing all that he can to help the efforts out in this crisis? In my opinion, no. Not by a long shot.

I find this quote from the article quite interesting:

"The Obama administration also stepped up the pressure on BP, demanding it set up an escrow account to pay individuals and businesses hit by the disaster and calling for an independent panel to oversee the claims process."

Has anyone heard about this at all? Has it been reported by the MSM? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it has (although I admit I don't watch Fox or CNN much).

It doesn't seem to me that the Obama administration has put any strain whatsoever on BP to do jack$hit about this huge oil disaster.

Now I understand there is a lot going on behind the scenes and we are merely peasants to the big wigs in Washington, but from what most of us can gather we are way out of the loop on this (which *does* echo 9/11 A LOT, does it not?).

I will, as the rest of us, have to wait and see if they follow through with what they are saying here about setting up a 'independent panel' which will oversee these claims from the people who have been hit so hard because of this disaster. I for one would not mind tax dollars going to help these people if it came to that, but BP should be standing up for their mistake(s) along with those who were backing them on this drilling project.

Maybe Halliburton will step in and throw a few billion down to help these poor people out?

Oh and I love how Obama tries to be so optimistic about this saying we need to learn our lessons from this... well once again, correct me if I'm wrong but is this the first oil disaster we've had? What??? NOPE! But yet effects for clean up have been minuscule and we've even had Iran offer to help clean up the oil, but we are too proud to take any help so we will just allow the oil to make its way around the oceans and kill marine life on its way...

Right now Obama should be addressing the nation about what he's actually doing about this, what is actually going on, and what is going to come from it all and what preventions will be taken so this NEVER happens again.

[edit on 14/6/2010 by highlyoriginal]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Oh but it is their new 9/11 and they're loving it because for every fish and bird and person that dies from this spill is putting money into the collective elites pockets. BOO obama. maybe then he'll keep stuttering like a fool.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBranch

See what I don't understand is why Obama would compare anything to 9/11 - especially considering all the conspiracies surrounding 9/11 in particular. I mean for us it can be a comparison (at least when you look at damage overall), but no government official is going to come out and say "Yeah this oil damage is killing lots of people because we screwed up, just like 9/11 when we threw that false flag... I can't believe it's working again!"

And that brings me to another issue... is this a false flag? I don't think it is, but it's being covered up HEAVILY and I'm sure for good reason, but no reason is good enough to hide it from your citizens... but as we've seen with 9/11 the truth was just too much for us too handle right? WRONG! We learned what we could with what we had and people to this day are still fighting to get those facts out to those who have yet to hear them or believe them.

So why in the world would Obama compare the GOM oil disaster to 9/11?

Is he planning on issuing some new acts which will take away more freedoms just like after 9/11? Because if so then I can see the relation...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I don't think these changes will effect the oil companies as much as ordinary individuals. Any increase in the cost to the oil company will just be passed on to the consumers.

When States began regulating emissions, the oil companies actually made more money. Since different States required different types of gasoline, one refinery couldn't handle shortages occurring from other refineries.
Oil pipelines were ALWAYS HEAVLY REGULATED. Everything from safety tests, to tariffs to sales were regulated by the government. Even with these strict regulations every once in a while there would be a leak.

I'm not sure what the Government could do that would change the course of America. Does anyone have ideas of what types of new regulations will result?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I see emission credits for gas in our near future. liberals been threatening that for years now. Im tired of gas especially when we already can make a car run on H20. bloody bonkers in my opinion to drill when we could grow a couple acres of hemp and maybe corn and be down with oil entirely.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal

“In the same way that our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy was shaped profoundly by 9/11, I think this disaster is going to shape how we think about the environment and energy for many years to come,” Obama said in an interview

That statement scares me more than the actual events on the day of 9/11 ever did.

"our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy" are exactly the type of things that are WRONG with this country, and here he is telling us it's only going to become MORE intrusive...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

I agree totally.
Second line is: Obama=What a Dick!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Well,I think I know what he is talking about.

His administration of idiots will try to get tough with all the oil companies.

They will press through laws that will cost the oil companies billions to put in place.

The oil companies will just pass the expense back on us minions.

Look for $10 a gallon gas in a year or two.

The dollar will be less than what it is now and things all will cost so much more because the increase price in fuel will be passed to the consumer.

That will fundamentally change America,now won't it.

We will all be walking.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Yeah, baby, let's not let a good disaster go to waste. Use it to shove your agenda down everyone's throat.

I am getting tired of this bull#$*%. Someone needs to get things rolling.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
well since the carbon tax failed last December...

this disaster gives FULL reason to get it done now.

The more i think about it... the more i think this spill was engineered. Just like 911 was used to get into two wars for oil and drugs (Not to mention the patriot act). this will be used to push the carbon tax agenda.

I wonder if this was also in PNAC... (Project for a New American Century for you newbs out there
)

Great... so we sit back and let them ream us now?

This is pathetic... People had a chance to wake up and stop this madness for the past 10 years.

As they say... you reap what you sow... sooner or later... but it will!

EDIT: I think i should ADD Gulf Oil Spill to my signature now..

[edit on 6/14/2010 by ugie1028]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
carbon tax ?
dolar crashing ?
one organization to control all carbon in the world and energy ?

well ...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It's really incredible to see how quickly everything is coming to a head. Whether one believes this was an accident or planned operation, the Obama administration is looking to take advantage. I'm still concerned as to how long this will be allowed to continue. Let's keep our ears to the ground.

S+F

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

I know many have said it, as you have, and I agree - this is all becoming too much.

I'm glad I brought up the political part of this, as I said not many people are thinking about it right now because of all the 'leaked info' [disinfo?] and the damage this [oil] leak (no pun intended) is causing right now.

Don't get me wrong, I feel horrible right now knowing that people are getting hurt, losing jobs, and animals are dying every minute because of this oil spill. Whether or not it was because of man, or it was mother nature is not the point of this thread however.

The point I am trying to make is that we need to be ready for what is going to be implemented into the 'system' next during/after this oil spill.

Do not be fooled again people! 9/11 was used to fool us, and here is Obama saying it out loud in public that he dares compare anything with 9/11 - how horrible of a thing to say, especially when so much has been hidden from us.

What is next on the political agenda? Please, if anyone has any more information, shed some light on this situation and add it to my thread... at the very least make another if you wish because we need to view this oil spill from not just one direction - but from all, to figure out the meaning of it and what is to come next in our evolutionary path... sadly I don't see us progressing, rather regressing because we are going to be set back a lot by this - hell, we already are!

[edit on 14/6/2010 by highlyoriginal]

new topics

top topics

join