It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The total play time of every WoW player is 5.93 million years

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is most certainly an interesting concept and theory however I don't know if its really all roses as she seems to think. We already have plenty of incentives to get things done in the real world such as money, fame, power and adoration of the masses. Being a WoW player for over 4 years now I can safely say that once you spend an evening up in the trade chat you will lose all faith in humanity; butchering of language, profanity galore, depravity and verbal assault is all normal in the game.

Most people play games to escape from reality so I'm not sure how successful some game based on the real world is going to be. If a game makes me think of the problems of the real world chances are I won't be excited to fire it up after a day at work.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Considering I have over 200 combined days played time with all my characters, 6 million years just doesn't strike me as too crazy.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rafe_

That actually boggles my mind to be honest!
Well... if you think about the millions of subscribers, then add the gold farmers.
Leveling services and item sellers too.

Damn man... Blizzard must have a HUGE bank account.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
As a former online gamer I can respect this theory I can come to the conclusion with her that we do feel comfortable in a false or fantasy based reality. We play to escape, to better oneself inside the fantasy. We do courageous things that we would not do in normal life. I believe that if a false reality existed in other then computer gaming that nearly if not everyone would be doing it. It seems the only way to reach someone nowadays is via social networking or playing a game thus creating a false reality... A false sense of satisfaction that ends as soon as you leave the computer. WoW is now taking more time then regular tasks, this should be more in the headlines as you have a misleading title you would get more viewers in my honest opinion. I think when we have so many people pouring time, energy and money there has to be something else at power here to consider...How is it attracting people, why? , why do people enjoy it? How do they stay entertained and brain-looped to play and play and play even after maximum level completion. I just think maybe, just maybe if so many stay entertained if someone at Blizzard had their inner eye opened they would use such a tool to create knowledge not destroy so many lifes. For those who pick it up, play it and moderate it all the power to you.
edit on 3-5-2012 by StumpedVet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
lets not forget that this post was made back in 2010 i could only imagine the number now anyone have a guess
?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join