It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please help: Spina Bifida Research/Information.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
An emotional plea on my part, I sadly found out today that one of my close friends is going to have a baby boy that will unfortunately be born with Spina Bifida.

Now, I'm not the best bloke in the world, but this guy is, he was a bit off the rails when I knew him in his teens, but has totally got his act together and is a shining example of the man I would like to be. He already has 2 beautiful boys and works like a dog to support them and his lovely wife.

The news is devastating but at least the baby will be born to a great family that will be able to give it all the love and support it needs, I'd like to ask if any of you have any knowledge or news of this that you could share with me that I could pass on.

Edit to add:

Not fussed about the stars, but please flag this.

[edit on 9/6/1010 by jokei]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Hello,

www.bing.com...

This is what the mayo clinic has on it, with related links.

Causes

Doctors aren't certain what causes spina bifida. As with many other problems, it appears to result from a combination of genetic and environmental risk factors, such as a family history of neural tube defects and folic acid deficiency.

Maybe the mother can start increasing her folic acid intake...

Folic Acid (Vitamin B9) Oral tablet
Brand names for this medication

Folacin

What is this medicine?

FOLIC ACID (FOE lik AS id) is a water-soluble, B complex vitamin. It is in many foods like liver, kidneys, yeast, and leafy, green vegetables. It is used to treat megaloblastic anemia and anemia from poor diet in pregnant women, babies, and children.

[edit on (6/9/1010 by loveguy]

[edit on (6/9/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

That should be a starter. Follow some of the sources at the bottom for more info.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Heres what I have found for you.
www.med.umich.edu...

bodyandhealth.canada.com...

www.sbhabc.org...

www.ninds.nih.gov...

www.keepkidshealthy.com...
This last article I will post a bit of what it says here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spina bifida is a complex birth defect with many different presentations and outcomes. You should not read this article and try and predict what problems your infant may have.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish your friend the best.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Hello,

I star'd you for your edit...

Given that the guy can see for himself if the wife may be not sticking to a strict diet.

I just saw folic acid deficiency, and jumped to my own uneducated conclusion.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Hey guys, thank you all for your replies, I've got a fair amount to read and print off. Any more information is totally welcome.

To the best of my knowledge they've both been very conscious of health/diet etc, the 2 other boys are completely healthy children, cute ones too.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
My nephew has Spina Bifida. When he was born, they rushed him into surgery to close the opening in his lower back. That was 13 years ago. Now they can do the proceedure while the child is still in the womb. The earlier that they can close the opening, the better the chances are for the child.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

I have spina bifida. It is not as bad as it once was; there are really good procedures and doctors nowadays. The baby may have to have a shunt put in to drain fluid off the brain; that will probably have to be done very shortly after birth. There may need to be surgeries later, back and possibly feet, but I had those after a few years, not right away. When I was born (I am in my 30s), the doctor told my mom I would never walk, sit up, be able to take care of myself...

I walked full-time until I was 15, then went into a chair. I can still walk a little, enough to move around my home. Proved that doc totally wrong. They will give the worst case scenario, but tell your friend to be strong; it's not a sure thing.

Wishing them the best

edit: the poster above me is right about closing the back. Forgot about that, sorry

[edit on 9-6-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'd recommend googling some spina bifida foundations and charities. Another good way to narrow the search is include your state since most foundations for specific purposes are state limited. I can also look around too if you want to divulge the state this person is currently living in.

Good luck to ya.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Hello, jokei. I have a small stepson that has this malady, he is a Dwarf, and will always be very short. We love him to death, and he is a joy. He has this really cute face, and at nine, he looks four, and people give him money. I tell him this will only last until he gets a moustache.
He has a lot of trouble with is little legs, they were bowed badly when he was born, and had to be straightened and pinned. He also looses his core temp sometimes, as I detailed here:
Need Solid Advice for a Sweet Little Boy

I am sure my wife, a member here, will respond and offer some insight for you.

top topics

join