It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plumber hopes to land £50k for his leak-plugging invention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk

Carl was sitting in the lounge of his semi-detached home while a decorator worked on an upstairs bedroom.

The former Army lance corporal, who served in the Gulf War, suddenly felt water falling on him from the ceiling and was concerned a pipe had been struck during the renovations.

"It turned out the decorator had just kicked over a bucket of water, but as I sat there, I wondered what would happen if he had put a nail through a pipe," said Carl.

That led him to create the LeakMate, a reusable device which can be screwed onto pipes to temporarily plug leaks until they can be properly
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
The LeakMate, approved by industry organisation the Water Regulation Advisory Scheme (WRAS), has yet to go on sale in the shops. But it could be available later this year.

And the invention is now on a three-strong shortlist in the Barclays competition – with Carl asking for Sentinel readers to help him win the prize.

Wife Jacqueline, aged 40, a clinical support worker at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire, said: "It's a great invention and it really has taken over his life."

Plumber Paul Dodd, from Bradeley, who runs P.L Dodd Plumbing Heating and Gas Services, has been using the product. The 43-year-old said: "I think it's great and it has really helped me out on a number of occasions."

maybe BP wants a word with this guy!!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz

Carl was sitting in the lounge of his semi-detached home while a decorator worked on an upstairs bedroom.

The former Army lance corporal, who served in the Gulf War, suddenly felt water falling on him from the ceiling and was concerned a pipe had been struck during the renovations.

"It turned out the decorator had just kicked over a bucket of water, but as I sat there, I wondered what would happen if he had put a nail through a pipe," said Carl.

That led him to create the LeakMate, a reusable device which can be screwed onto pipes to temporarily plug leaks until they can be properly

Nice story and the chap certainly deserves a break. It would be nice if the Water Regulation Advisory Scheme would advise utility companies to use these themselves and help stop the 3,500,000,000 litres of water utility companies waste each DAY.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

How much do you get paid for advertising this product here.

Monty Python - Spam

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

no-ones advertising anything here, thanks for your non helping post.

why shouldn't an invention be shared?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I'd like to see his invention.

I've seen many variations of leak stopping gizmos for years.

BTW: I've been a plumber longer than the plumber quoted, is old. Yeah, I'm an old f***in' plumber.

top topics

join