It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lincoln was not a great president

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Ya know something, I am a Southerner... and there is a part of me that wishes we had won the Civil War. But, as hard as it is for me to do this, I am going to defend Lincoln.

Wow for it being hard to defend Lincoln you sure did a good job. I wish I was as well informed as you as I would love to rebuke, but unfortunently I dont . Thanks for your input

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Lincoln was hated by the press durring his term. He was very different from the presidents we had had before. He was firmly against the country ever declaring war against its own, ever again. Nixon and Reagan decided to declair war against Americans in the drug war, despite his plea.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Come on now, have we ever really had a "great president?"

We just had some CEOs that didn't suck as much as others that happened to be in power at a time when something imperative needed to be done to save the nation.

They all had their faults and they all had their strengths. Some presidents were able to help the nation as a whole prosper, and some were able to help their corporate sponsers prosper. Some presidents truly used their heads for the good of the nation, and some... well, just got head.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
A good book and well researched is "The Real Lincoln" by Thomas De Lorenzo I believe. Lincoln is the father of our corporate democracy/oligarchy and destroyer of the republic. He had no authority to force the south to stay in the Union. It had nothing to do with slavery that was just an expedient excuse he used. The emancipation proclamation only applied to the states that seceded not to the northern states.

He reconvened congress without authority to declare war and shut down newspapers and arrested thier owners for sedition etc. The man was a tyrant working for his corporate handlers pure and simple. every other country in the world ended slavery peacefully there was no need to kill 600,000 Americans to do it.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
A good book and well researched is "The Real Lincoln" by Thomas De Lorenzo I believe. Lincoln is the father of our corporate democracy/oligarchy and destroyer of the republic. He had no authority to force the south to stay in the Union. It had nothing to do with slavery that was just an expedient excuse he used. The emancipation proclamation only applied to the states that seceded not to the northern states.

He reconvened congress without authority to declare war and shut down newspapers and arrested thier owners for sedition etc. The man was a tyrant working for his corporate handlers pure and simple. every other country in the world ended slavery peacefully there was no need to kill 600,000 Americans to do it.

If you haven't you should get a copy of The Red Amendment by LB Bork, I think that you would enjoy it. Not only does Bork go into the history of the Civil War, but its an in law exposé that details in great length the actual legal issues that transpired that changed our republic...AND you will have all of the information you need to fix your Citizenship.

I put a link for i tin my original post on page one.

And thank you for your recommendation, I will be sure to get a copy of The Real Lincoln.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by madhadder545

Your very first statement is dead wrong.

Lincoln did not declare war on his own country.

The Confederates did that when they fired the first shot on Fort Sumter. They started the war.

Lincoln fought to preserve the union, both north and south together.

Where did you learn American history?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I sort of think this way too... a real diplomatic president would have resolved the issues of the day without war (esp a civil war). Perhaps the only person of that day who could have done something about it, and he didn't. Not surprising at all that he was assassinated.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by mapsurfer_]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by madhadder545
I do not understand why Lincoln is so reveard!!!. HE DECLARED WAR ON HIS OWN COUNTRY!!!yes I do under stand it was a"noble" cause freeing slaves and such, but actually that didnt come till along time after hundreds of thousands of americans lost there live, to me it was maybe the biggest act of treason EVER!!

Agreed. Lincoln was fail.

The South needs to rise again IMO.

I am against slavery by the way, we are all slaves now. Every one of us.

So really, Lincoln didn't end slavery in the south, he brought us all slavery, no matter where we were.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

more often than not the start of a war is not a "shot". Its the goings on before.
And you state he was for unionizing the state?
Down south we look at it as taking away states rights

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by madhadder545

It is kind of like why is Harry Truman considered to be a great president? what did he do to deserve this title? Cause a War to happen, Dropped one A-bomb and the other wasn't necessary, joined the KKK, etc. I question some historians when I see these things also on why are they considered "great" presidents.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I believe the south still won. Just look at today. We are technically still segregated. Look at how neighborhoods are and can't forget the professional fields as well. So it makes me wonder what has really changed???

Not much if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
We have a Lincoln Park in my town. It has been renamed Chicano Park by the locals. I am the only white guy that ever goes there. Lincoln may have been a Mexican.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join