It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US toll reaches 1,000 deaths in Afghanistan war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Source

KABUL, Afghanistan – More U.S. military deaths in the last 10 months of the Afghan war than in the first five years of the conflict. More boots on the ground than in Iraq.
As the U.S. military death toll in the Afghan conflict reached the 1,000 mark, a fight that has become "Obama's war" now faces its greatest challenge — a high-risk campaign to win over a hostile population in the Taliban's southern heartland.
More casualties are expected when the campaign kicks into high gear this summer. The results may determine the outcome of a nearly nine-year conflict that has become the focus of America's fight against Islamist militancy.
The 1,000 U.S. military death occurred in a roadside bombing Friday — just before the Memorial Day weekend when America honors the dead in all its wars.

Didn't see a thread on this. Quite sad I might say. I plan on going to Ft. Hood this weekend to honor the fallen, this makes it that much worse.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I just want to recirculate this. As a member of a military family, you never like to hear numbers like this.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This report is just in time for memorial weekend.

While it's great to honor those who chose to go, it should raise more questions than we are getting answers to. My heart goes out to survivor families.

Why are we fighting in Afghanistan?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
A tragic loss of life.
The upswing in deaths, is it due to increased operations?...or are the enemy Islamists stronger recently?
Who is selling them arms?
It is curious....the Russians,Chinese, Iraninans?
They must have a supply route ?
Why cant we stop this supply, so Young Americans?Brits Aussies/canadians are not killed in ever increasing numbers.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Conspire
Who is selling them arms?
It is curious....the Russians,Chinese, Iraninans?

Take a wild guess
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Who profits from it the most?

As they.... Follow The Money!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
What are we doing there again? I haven't heard a mission statement in like... years now.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Im not American, but this makes me sick... I also see our boys in vast numbers repatriated to the uk.... 1000 huh?? .... 1000 unique individuals who will never be around again... Who guard heroin... Who have been lied to.... Why are you not marching on you whitehouse??

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatesHatriots
What are we doing there again? I haven't heard a mission statement in like... years now.

Great point. We haven't even gotten something as simple as a mission statement in quite some time. SMH. I thank God my mom got Korea instead of Afghanistan. She'll be home in July, just missing the second Korea War lol.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I can't believe this isn't breaking news to anybody but a few people. With all the # going on right now, I understand we're all overwhelmed. But my fellow Americans on here should understand the significance of this number. There's no bringing them back. Put them in your prayers tomorrow.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
They say a picture is worth 1000 words:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a1c08eda0f49.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

1000 dead? I think that's a conservative estimate.

How many Afghan's? Or are they not considered as casualties? Just collateral damage....

www.unknownnews.net...

[edit on 30-5-2010 by whaaa]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

1000 dead? I think that's a conservative estimate.

How many Afghan's? Or are they not considered as casualties? Just collateral damage....

www.unknownnews.net...

[edit on 30-5-2010 by whaaa]

It's referring to US casualties only. Of course that number is larger for everyone, but my focus is getting our guys and girls home safely.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
A sad number.
I was watching news today, and there is a scene of a group of local armed fighters in Afghanistan stepping aboard a raft made out of strips of wood in order to cross a river in the middle of stark country. A raft...a wooden raft....in a war where we're using the latest, costly hi-tech equipment...against people in a wooden raft! I am sadly reminded of VietNam.

I am sadly reminded of another costly war, Iraq, where we went after a tin horn dictator, whom the nightly news kept showing the same loop of him raising an old rifle or sword in the air (his WMD), or the loop of Iraqi locals using a donkey cart to move a small rocket around.

I am afraid the numbers will grow, slowly, but grow nonetheless. Those who started the wars will die off naturally, asleep in their beds, surrounded by loved ones and wealth, while soldiers continue to fight in a land, where local armed fighters board wooden rafts to cross rivers in stark country.

Rest in Peace, Marine Cpl. Jacob C. Leicht.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Say a prayer for those fallen on Memorial Day. Let's not forget the risk they all took defending our country, whether it was for the wrong reasons or not. We can't let TPTB decisions affect our support of the troops.

R.I.P. to all the deceased from the 4th Infantry Division at Ft. Hood, TX.

new topics

top topics

join